PDA

View Full Version : Zaino on New Paint???

05Sleeper
10-09-2005, 02:08 PM
I am getting my car repainted and I am looking for something I can use on it afterwords. Ihave heard that you can use Zaino on new paint without harming it. Is this true? I just can not stand to detail my baby! :help:

travisdecpn
10-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Usually new paint requires some time to properly cure. During this time you do not want to use products such as waxes or sealants that may prevent the paint from curing correctly. For the weeks or first couple of months after you get the vehicle re-painted stick to products like #81 or #5 from Meg`s. These products allow the paint to "breath" while curing. After the paint is properly cured, you can switch over to zaino or any other sealant or wax of your choice.

05Sleeper
10-09-2005, 02:21 PM
I guess they lied when they told me it was safe for new paint!!! ```````s!!!

kempie
10-09-2005, 05:29 PM
I used Zaino about 10 days after new paint on my hood. No problems.

05Sleeper
10-09-2005, 05:48 PM
how long has it been since it was painted?

kempie
10-09-2005, 06:27 PM
Two years. Ford willow green on an Explorer.

I had previously emailed Sal at Zaino & asked how long to wait. He said OK after 10 days or so.

papi_jay
10-09-2005, 10:01 PM
Probably fine in the sense that it won`t harm the paint , but it won`t allow it to gas off and cure properly either if used before that 30-90 day curing window

05Sleeper
10-10-2005, 04:23 AM
Well, it would be nice to be able to put something on the car...

Matt M, PA
10-10-2005, 08:47 AM
Modern paints are catalyzed, and do not require the same long-term waiting for drying time as day past...as I understand it.

New car paint is ready for soemthing like Zaino right away. I too would wait a couple weeks to be sure with a body-shop re-paint.

Accumulator
10-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Hmmm...I just dunno....Sal Zaino used to paint cars so one would *think* he`d know. I don`t want to sound all snotty by saying "well, he sells the product so of course he says it`s OK". But note that it`s not like most people would ever know the difference if they interfere with the curing and sometimes it`s surprising what "advice" people give.

Even when today`s paints are baked they continue to outgas for quite a while. You can *smell* it. I sure wouldn`t want to intefere with the curing and end up with paint that`s not as hard as it could be. Repaints are soft enough compared to factory finishes and you can clearly discern how they get harder as they cure if you polish at different intervals during the curing period. I`ve done this many, many times and the paint really does get much harder over the course of a couple months. So, based on my first-hand experiences, I`m gonna stick with what I know works for me and say to use a fresh-paint-safe glaze, something that`s *made* for this application.

Meg`s #5 for me, for at least two months.

EDIT: 05Sleeper- I realize I`m being a broken record and you already know my take on this. This post is more for others who might not have seen the earlier thread.