PDA

View Full Version : I`m not understanding using VM/RMG under a sealant

Pages : [1] 2

TGates
10-09-2005, 11:41 AM
I see people using VM/EX-P/Nattys, etc. all the time, but I was under the impression that VM was a glaze that left a lot of oils/fillers behind, and was primarily meant to be used under a Carnauba (CMW, etc.) Wouldn`t a pure sealant like EX-P or UPP not bond to a surface just gone over with VM/RMG?

I am by no means an expert, but logically, it seems one would use a polish of their choice (say, SSR or Optimum) then VM OR RMG (why do I see both used sometimes?), then YCW, then CMW (carnauba).

I just don`t see how a sealant can come into play here. What am I missing?

EDIT- I see now that RMG does not contain wax or silicones. But what about VM? What kind of glaze doesn`t have fillers in it?

Scottwax
10-09-2005, 01:08 PM
EX-P is compatible with oil based glazes as well as non-oily final polishes like AIO. Whether or not durablity is somewhat compromised, I can`t tell you but I haven`t noticed using EX-P over VM gives poor durability.

im_wicked247
10-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I plan on using EX-P x2 over RMG my question is do I have to give the RMG any time to cure? I know I have to let the EX-P cure for a few days before I can apply my wax.

DCT
10-09-2005, 01:31 PM
Unless a product was specifically designed to work with the components of another product, there is always a chance that durability will be compromised. Of course, there`s always a chance that they may work together simply by luck, or trial and error.

My guess would be that the durability would be sacrificed in most cases.

Scottwax
10-09-2005, 01:49 PM
I plan on using EX-P x2 over RMG my question is do I have to give the RMG any time to cure? I know I have to let the EX-P cure for a few days before I can apply my wax.

RMG is a glaze, it has no recommended cure time.

a.k.a. Patrick
10-09-2005, 01:51 PM
VM works very well with quite a variety of sealants. This is all kind of mystery, but who cares if you lose 20% durability when your constantly maintaining anyway......Now come wintertime :grrr , when your after protection as opossed to "best looking on the block", skip the glaze. Go for your normal routine, come "thaw" season.....Now being in Ca , I dont have to worry about that !

I like VM better then the RMG, however RMG looks great on dark colors, that are already in pretty good shape....I give a slight edge to VM for cleaning though, but both are actually very good on all colors....

stilez
10-10-2005, 05:28 PM
We`re trying to make this whole bonding thing a myth :D.

TGates
10-10-2005, 06:40 PM
So I could go RMG or VM, EX-P, and then Nattys Blue?

Scottwax
10-10-2005, 09:37 PM

Yes, that would work fine. I`d wait a day or two for EX-P to completely cure before topping with Natty`s.

Richt
10-11-2005, 12:07 AM

Nice combo to, and works as Scott says.

J.J.
10-11-2005, 02:38 AM
You won`t be disappointed in that combo. Ask me how I know!

JJ

imported_Picus
10-11-2005, 05:18 AM

I second or third or forth this. I`ve been doing RMG/ex/Nattys for awhile. I just did VM/RMG/ex/Nattys this weekend and :drool:

DM101
10-11-2005, 05:39 AM
VM & RMG add important ingrediants sp to make the car give off a deep shine. Most of the products are called Glazes.

McGuire`s says "Meguiar`s Trade Secret Polishing Oils

The trade secret oils Meguiar`s uses in both types of polishes are unique to the industry and to this day have never been surpassed for creating deep, dark reflections and brilliant high gloss by any of our competitors in over 100 years.

The oils Meguiar`s uses are also important in maintaining the original condition of the paint by filling in the naturally occurring microscopic pores and surface imperfections thus preventing detrimental substances and elements as simple as water, or worse, acid-rain, from entering into these pores and microscopic surface imperfections thus causing oxidation and chemical etching. These oils act to replace the original resins as they wear away through natural processes.

When paint is new, it is the most impermeable it will ever be, this means it is a very smooth non-porous, continuous film. With age, exposure to the environment and micro-scratching caused by day-in, day-out wear and tear, your paint develops micro-fissures in the surface along with other defects. These micro-fissures and other defects act to make the continuous film or coating of paint more porous. As this happens, your car`s finish becomes more vulnerable to corrosive elements that will attack and degrade your finish.

Remember, waxes, synthetic or otherwise, are meant to be Sacrificial Barriers with the intended purpose sealing the surface, while blocking those things that would attack your paint, from coming into direct contact with the paint."

DM101
10-11-2005, 05:44 AM
PS .......... I use Menzena PO85RD for cleaning the RMG as my glaze, and Pinicile Sourveran or Natty`s Blue as my LSP wax. The quick detail spray in between like clearcoats quickshine.

Perm
10-11-2005, 06:27 AM
I have used

AIO + RMG + NXTx2

Works very well especially on dark blue metalics.