View Full Version : <<<<Amature, scratch q`s

dolphinsfan1966
10-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Hi i`m new to this forum, i just have a few questions, i`ve been reading around on the boards about all these EX brands etc, dont think i`ve ever seen them around, and i was wanting to know what is the best things for scratches such as scratches from keys around the door handles, and such things like that, and what are the most used products that everyone uses,

I`ve never polished a vehicle, only washed and waxed, i looked around for the clay bar at my local kmart tonight, but they seem to always be out of whatever you are looking for at that particular moment in hawaii, anyway, i just bought an 01 blazer, with 35k miles on it, so since it`s been taken care of pretty well so far, i`d like to get the paint in better condition that it is in now, scratches, depth, etc......

Thanks for any help offered....

Joe

:bounce

Big Leegr
10-09-2005, 04:58 AM
In Hawaii, you can check out www.pakshak.com and maybe even get some personal help form the Pak boys. They carry a few lines of products that aren`t in the stores - like the EX you mentioned (and they carry clay too).

For OTC stuff, Mothers makes a scratch remover that works well, as does Meguiar`s. Expect to put some time and use repeated applications to get the best results. Sometimes, though, the scratches around the door handles are too deep to remove practically (some rings have BIG diamonds on them! :eek: ) so your "best" bet may be to use a glaze to fill in the scratches somewhat.

You may like Mothers Power Polish, if you have a polisher. (I don`t think you`ll get the results out of a department store Random Orbital Buffer. If you are going to buy one, look at getting a PC or similar.) I`m guessing you don`t have a buffer, as you said you hadn`t polished before.

Have you read DavidB`s online guide yet? That may help you get started too. Actually, if you go to the websites of wax/polish vendors, you may find a few detailing guides there as well (mostly centered on their own products, of course, but it still may give you a start).

As to the best, well, that`s a point of contention among various factions. You`ll have to decide what products work the best for you. With some vendors, though, it`s simply a matter of individual prefference, as their whole line is above average.