PDA

View Full Version : Applicators for uneven/grooved tires!

Pages : [1] 2

joshcaro
10-08-2005, 09:57 PM
Im getting so annoyed with my tires at this point. It used to be so simple dressing my low profile tires, but im grown up and have a Grand Cherokee now. Im having a problem finding an applicator that does not fall apart the instance it touches my tires. I have RWL tires for one thing, but the biggest problem is the constant rigids or grooves that go all around my tire. It is not a flat even surface so it totally tears up anything made of foam pretty much. I know other people have got to have this problem so my question is what is your solution. I have resorted to tire foams at this point, but I would like to test some other products such as gels on my tires to see what they look like.

psl car wash
10-08-2005, 10:08 PM
im with ya here.....mann ive tried like 6 different tire dressings in the past month (nothing store bought) and STILL testing.......those grooves do sux and do tear up pads and so far theres nothing to do about it....i found an applicator im getting ready to try out and can get back to u on this......also for thoses grooves u can use an aerosole dressing there and your reg. dressing on the rest of the tire.

joshcaro
10-08-2005, 10:18 PM
O my tires have the grooves on the entire face of the tire. There is literally NO flat surface what-so-ever! Im almost wished that I needed new tires, just because of those dang grooves! What kind of applicator have you found and from where?

psl car wash
10-08-2005, 10:27 PM
http://www.diversifiedbrands.com/library/jpg/685_1026508810.jpg

almost like a microfiber material (kinda)

psl car wash
10-08-2005, 10:33 PM
i currantly use one of these cut in half right now, there great for getting the bottoms of tires!!.........

http://store1.yimg.com/I/yhst-94715171101240_1866_3208511

94BlkStang
10-08-2005, 10:49 PM
Im getting so annoyed with my tires at this point. It used to be so simple dressing my low profile tires, but im grown up and have a Grand Cherokee now. Im having a problem finding an applicator that does not fall apart the instance it touches my tires. I have RWL tires for one thing, but the biggest problem is the constant rigids or grooves that go all around my tire. It is not a flat even surface so it totally tears up anything made of foam pretty much. I know other people have got to have this problem so my question is what is your solution. I have resorted to tire foams at this point, but I would like to test some other products such as gels on my tires to see what they look like.

I got a package of various size and style of sponges at the dollar store and have been using them. I think there were about 12-15 sponges in the package. It spreads the dressing nice and smooth and with a little pressure fills in all the grooves and indentations.

imported_truzoom
10-08-2005, 10:53 PM
You`ve just gotta take your time and use a stiff enough sponge. I`ve tried everything from foam brushes to an actual paintbrush. One thing you may be able to do is use something like Meguiar`s Hot Shine with the adjustable spray pattern; it should be easier to just blot off the excess.

Richt
10-09-2005, 01:25 AM
I use a largeish 2inch wide paint brush here. Taped of round the metal bit just in case works fine from low profile to chunky 4x4 tyres.

papi_jay
10-09-2005, 01:55 AM
yup paintbrushes

jimmybuffit
10-09-2005, 03:36 AM
Paintbrush. Takes 4 minutes to do the tires. Our brush (about $10) shows no sign of wear at all, after two years. That`s at least 7,000 tires!

Try that with foam.

Jim

Lowejackson
10-09-2005, 03:41 AM
A paintbrush, that is an excellent idea :up

Richt
10-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Like others I have had the same brushes for tyre use for 5 odd years now. Sad but treu have some smaller ones, use depends on tyre profile. Advise here plastic handled ones so the dressings does not soak in and cause the wood to come away from the metal. Lots of insulation tape around it so no change of metal on metal/paint contact.

White95Max
10-09-2005, 05:33 AM
I take it you guys are using very fine bristled paint brushes? That`s a great idea. I always have to throw away my foam applicator after doing RWL truck tires. Those tires just tear up the foam so quickly, especially when it`s been softened with gel.

joshcaro
10-09-2005, 09:56 AM
Good idea guys!!

The only thing is I can see a paintbrush working with a watery type of dressing, but say something with Megs Endurance Gel I dont think a paintbrush would be stiff enough to spread evenly would it? I think im going to go by the dollar store today and pick up some brushes and possibly see what else I could try using.

Keep the comments coming guys...very interesting ideas here.

White95Max
10-09-2005, 02:32 PM
That gave me an idea...I`m going to try a foam paintbrush on my tires next time I dress them. My neighbor has a Santa Fe, maybe I`ll ask him if he would mind me washing/dressing his RWL tires...