PDA

View Full Version : Mobile detailers. Washing wheels with no/little water use

Secret Chimp
01-24-2005, 02:45 PM
So how do mobile detailers wash wheels without using a pressure washer and water? I think the process I use takes too long to clean wheels. How do you accomplish this task?

Here`s what I do...

I use 3 rags, a diluted 10/1 solution of Simple Green, and about 10 oz of water. One rag is placed at the bottom of the wheel to catch any chemical run-off. Using another rag, I wash the brake dust and dirt off with the diluted simple green solution. This takes care of about 90% of the dirt. But some streaky dirt is still left behind. So I put about 10oz of water in to my bucket, and a few squirts of the diluted simple green. I use enough liquid to wash and rinse the rag 2-3 times. I then go over the wheels one last time with the wet rag to wash off any remaining dirt.

SC~

derek37
01-24-2005, 07:00 PM
I use a wheel/tire cleaner A2Z right now. I use a 2 gallon pump sprayer which gives me enough pressure to prewash the car if needed, do the wheel wells and do the tires and wheels. This is where most of your water will be used.
That is, if you`re using QEW to wash.
Can`t wait to try out PB wheel cleaner :bigups

G35stilez
01-25-2005, 08:58 AM
derek: Where do you get the 2 gallon sprayer? Any pics?

derek37
01-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Sean, no pics but you can pick these up at any major hardware store(Home Depot, Lowes etc.) in the garden section. The one I have is made by Ortho it`s yellow and black. Costs like around $20. Works well. I also carry a 7 gallon water tank(about $8) to use with my QEW. This gives me enough water to do 2 cars a day. If I need more I usually can fill it up at the customers house with no problem. If I`m doing a full detail I can only do at the most 2 cars a day. But I usually only schedule one a day, 6-8 hrs per car

budman3
01-25-2005, 04:45 PM
Derek- Is it something like this?

http://www.roundup.com/media/images/productGuide-GUI/Equipment/2RUSS.jpg

G35stilez
01-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the info.

How much pressure do these exzert (sp?) ?

cctxdetailer
01-25-2005, 08:21 PM
I use a 25 gallon sprayer that is made for spraying herbicide and insecticide.
It`s got a sure flo pump that pushes water at 60psi. I carry it in the bed of my truck and extended the hose about sixty feet. It only takes about 4-6 gallons to wash a suburban and about 3-4 gallons for small cars.
The pump runs off a 12 volt battery.(I use a deep cycle marine battery so it can be recharged over and over) Hope this helps.

cctxdetailer
01-25-2005, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=cctxdetailer]I use a 25 gallon sprayer that is made for spraying herbicide and insecticide.
It`s got a sure flo pump that pushes water at 60psi. I carry it in the bed of my truck and extended the hose about sixty feet. It only takes about 4-6 gallons to wash a suburban and about 3-4 gallons for small cars.
The pump runs off a 12 volt battery.(I use a deep cycle marine battery so it can be recharged over and over) Hope this helps. I tried posting pics, but the page that say "page cannot be dislpayed" comes up and I don`t know how to fix it. Please help, Thanks!

derek37
01-25-2005, 09:14 PM
Derek- Is it something like this?

http://www.roundup.com/media/images/productGuide-GUI/Equipment/2RUSS.jpg

Yeah pretty much. The ortho has a metal nozzle that has adjustable spray settings. But I would think they all come with an adjustable nozzle.

derek37
01-25-2005, 09:19 PM
Here`s a link

http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=23980-1306-190082