PDA

View Full Version : Has Anybody Noticed This About....(WG & FMJ)

Setec Astronomy
10-07-2005, 09:13 PM
I was looking at White95Max`s Xtreme entry ( :wavey Maxy!) and was intrigued by his use of Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant on that car (since he uses UPP on his) so I was having a read about the Wolfgang over at Autogeek and they went on about how it`s water-based and non-toxic, yada yada, even "The emulsion does not include any of the harsh VOC solvents found in most polymer products." and then at the end they say "We have received notification from the California Air Resources Board that their evaluation of this product apparently does not meet California’s VOC standards. According to our own lab results, this product is in compliance. Until we can resolve this situation, we are voluntarily restricting sales to California."

Well, as if that juxtaposition wasn`t funny enough, it sounded awful familiar, so I moseyed on over to CMA to refresh my memory on FMJ, which is described as "an advanced, water-based, polymer paint protectant", and even that it meets the California Air Resources Board VOC requirements...which is of course almost immediately followed by "This product is being challenged by the California Air Resources Board as exceeding California`s 2005 VOC limits. We have submitted documentation that we are in compliance and are waiting for a ruling. In the meantime, the California Air Resources Board has told us we can not ship this product into California."

Oh, and they sell Blackfire over at CMA, too...the description is pretty much identical to Wolfgang...followed by:

"[Blackfire] All Finish Paint Protection meets California`s Air Resources Board, Consumer Products Regulations regarding VOC (Volatile Organic Compound) content and limits for an automotive sealant.

California Customers: 7/02/05 This product is being challenged by the California Air Resources Board as exceeding California`s 2005 VOC limits. We have submitted documentation that we are in compliance and are waiting for a ruling. In the meantime, the California Air Resources Board has told us we can not ship this product into California. "

Perhaps the similarites between Wolfgang and Blackfire have been discussed before, but I just thought it was ironic that here`s three "water-based" sealants that are all presently not for sale in CA over VOC issues...

DrSauekraut
10-08-2005, 04:22 AM
Yes, quite funny indeed . . . I suppose CARB prohibits sale of such items until fully scrutinized.

stilez
10-08-2005, 07:00 AM
Well I know that Autogeek invented Wolfgang and CMA invented FMJ and the whole newer Menzerna line (not polishes). I`m not sure if that was public knowledge, but oh well!

Corey Bit Spank
10-08-2005, 07:44 AM
They didn`t "invent" them. They most likely were called by a salesperson from New Delhi and sold a formulation to brand. It`s not cost effective to design your own waxes/polishes. It`s possible that they all stem from the same chemists.

I`ve used Blackfire and Wolfgang and they are slightly different. Not so much that I would question that they never came from the same tree, though.

White95Max
10-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Out of those three, I`ve only used WG. That is interesting though, that they all have nearly identical descriptions, and all say that they are VOC compliant, only to later say (in almost the exact same words) that CARB is challenging their tests showing that they are VOC compliant.

Setec Astronomy
10-08-2005, 10:48 AM
...only to later say (in almost the exact same words) that CARB is challenging their tests showing that they are VOC compliant.

Well, the Blackfire and FMJ wording about that is the same because they are both on the CMA website. Again, perhaps this has been talked about before, but there seems to be some relationship between Autogeek and CMA...whether it is ownership, some marketing arrangement, or just the same web designer (or fulfillment company).

So Maxy, why is it that you use Wolfgang on client`s cars, and UPP on yours?

Back on topic (sort of), I know UPP has a very solventy smell, so it wouldn`t surprise me if there were VOC problems with it; I have never used BF, WG, or FMJ.

Scottwax
10-08-2005, 10:48 AM
Detailer`s Pride Premuim Surface Shield seems very similar to UPP, smells almost exactly the same as the version I had that required a 45-60 minute cure time. Color is a bit different though. In any case, it is good stuff so I don`t care about what other products it may or may not be derived from.

Scottwax
10-08-2005, 10:50 AM
BTW, out of DP, WG, UPP and FMJ, FMJ has proven to be the most durable of the 4.

White95Max
10-08-2005, 10:59 AM
Setec - I like WG`s smell more, and the slickness seems to last longer than UPP. I prefer to have my commonly-used products smell decent.

If the slickness deteriorates on my car, it doesn`t matter. I just rewax or QD after a wash to restore the slickness.

If the slickness deteriorates on a customer`s car, they might think that the product is gone, and their money was wasted. The car would still look great of course, but some customers really enjoy the slickness, and would surely find it to be somewhat of a let-down if the paint wasn`t slick anymore.

ZaneO
10-08-2005, 11:05 AM
Hmmmm...;)