PDA

View Full Version : New guy having problems

aabfeh
10-07-2005, 10:25 AM
I`ve attempted to clean and maintain my cars as well as possible for many years. Fortunately (or unfortunately) I`ve become obscessed with this site and my quest for the perfect finish. I`ve been working on my wife`s black 2001 MB. It started out pretty rough with lots of scratches and swirls. After attempting a better washing routine I clayed, rewashed, Menz Ip yellow edge pad w/ rotary, Menz FPII green edge pad w/ rotary, Menz glaze black pad w/ PC, and finally FMJ by hand. In almost all lighting conditions including sunlight my finish looks flawless. When I put it in a dark garage and use a 500W halogen at very close range and different angles I can still pick out some minor imperfections. Out of frustration I very carefully used a little scratch-X under the halogen and it removed the mark I could see. Am I using too aggressive a pad for my final polish with FPII or do I just have to give it more time with the polish ? I keep the rotary at 9-1200rpm. I also attempted a little work with the pc but it didn`t seem to do much good. I`m sorry about the lack of pictures but these marks are really too small to detect with my low quality camera. If it wasn`t for this site I would be very proud of my finish and consider the job done. I know it can be better now.

imported_rfinkle2
10-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Two things I might try... Try trapping a piece of microfiber (or better yet a bonnet) in between the pad and paint, and use a slow speed with your fpII and light pressure.

If that doesn`t work , get yourself some PO85RD.

It sounds to me that you have some light micro-marring and that the polish you are using either isn`t breaking down enough, or the pad you are using is a little too aggressive.

The fresh mf and the FPII should do the trick, otherwise PO85RD, at least to my knowledge is the finest polish one can buy.

I cleared up a similar problem using the above technique on my paint.

imported_rfinkle2
10-07-2005, 11:15 AM
Note That I Used A Pc For The Above Technique And Wouldn`t Recommend It With A Rotary.

aabfeh
10-07-2005, 11:42 AM
rfinkle2- Thanks. I was planning on getting the pc back out and using a new white pad with the FPII and going a little slower. I`ll then try the microfiber bonnet or towel. The more I`m thinking and reading I`ve probably been a little aggressive.