PDA

View Full Version : Making paint darker. How?

Pages : [1] 2

MikeWarner
10-06-2005, 05:17 AM
I have had a bumper painted and it came out a little darker than the rest of the car. I got it painted again and it is a bit better, but still darker. Is there any way I can make the paint on the adjoining panels appears darker in order to try and mask the colour difference? Alternatively, is there something that can make the bumper`s paint lighter?

Many thanks. :wavey

docker
10-06-2005, 05:43 AM
PS. For the US people, bumper = fender.

Thanks for clarifying...I was about to Google `bumper`. LOL.

:D

sQuashed
10-06-2005, 05:49 AM
Every time I detail red or black cars,the paint becomes"darker" or richer. So detail everything BUT the bumper :bounce

RobDon
10-06-2005, 07:56 AM
Try some Clearkote RMG (red moose machine glaze) as it appears to darken the finish on some colours.

imported_Gears
10-06-2005, 08:43 AM
How about S-100, a non darkening wax, on the painted fender. And Megs #26 on the rest of the car.

MikeWarner
10-06-2005, 08:51 AM
Would multiple layers of #26 get darker and darker? I have P21S, so that bit I can do.

imported_Gears
10-06-2005, 09:16 AM
I`d give it a try. The thing I don`t like about #26 is that is does darken the color noticeable. All my cars are light colors so the darkening is a bad thing for me but this may work to your advantage.

MikeWarner
10-06-2005, 09:43 AM
It seems #26 is available as a paste or a liquid wax. Which should I get? Do other waxes darken also?

imported_Gears
10-06-2005, 09:53 AM
I use the paste. I can`t say what other waxes darken but #26 is the darkest I`ve used.

imported_Picus
10-06-2005, 10:01 AM
I`d definitely try a glaze like clearkote rmg or something like poorboys ex w/carnauba. The rmg in particular seems to make my black car look very, very black. Maybe apply some rmg then a wax that will also darken the appearance of the paint, like #26.

Preachers Sheets
10-06-2005, 10:25 AM
Nothing is going to work, you`ll still notice.

The car should be re-painted if the colors is off.

MikeWarner
10-06-2005, 10:36 AM
Every place I go to says it is a very hard colour to match, plus they feel the finish I have is good enough. Nobody is willing to gaurantee a colour match and I`ve already paid to have it down twice. I can`t afford a 3rd attempt at the moment, especially as a match may not be better - or could end up worse!

papi_jay
10-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Usually when they do repairs , if they are doing a repaint they just repaint over stock paint so it will be darker because it has more color ro it .

If they wanted it to be an exact match , they would have to find out exactly what was used at the factory , the exact formula of every layer from primer to paint to clear .

Also it`s hard to get it with a gun , so the mixture must be mixed into a blend formula after the color is matched meaning after the first solid base coat is layed , the subsequent layer or two of color is much more translucent .

Not many shops mix colors to exact formulations , and not many have perfected the art of blending . Even though I know " what to do " I still rarely got it perfect when doing panel repaints when I did body shop and paint work .

Hopefully really , you can protect that panel with something that has good protection but low UV protection and it will lighten up and blend better . Then start using a good product with UV protective properties on that panel as well as the rest of the car .

Remeber also though you shouldn`t be waxing within 30-60 days after a repaint on that area .

MikeWarner
10-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Does AIO have UV filters? I think in the long term, trying to fade the paintwork is a good idea.

So the plan is, use lots of carnuba on the lighter parts to darken then (#26 paste was is on the shopping list) and ensure that the bumpers are covered only with a single coat of sealant.

In bright light it is more difficult to see the colour difference, but in cloudy weather, it is more obvious. This photo was taken in very bright light, you can only just see the difference. THe rear bumper is the same if not worse.

http://www.migweb.co.uk/temp/mycar02.JPG

JaCkaL829
10-06-2005, 02:43 PM
I would experiment with some layers of #26 but i`m not sure how far you`ll get. I`ve read and seen examples where silver is just "unmatchable". I know it blows, but its just one of those colors that you can`t get quite perfect. Maybe these body shops should have "blended" it or "faded" the paint to not look as obvious.