PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know about Nissan paints?

mbjkiller
10-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I have a Galaxy Black 2004 Nissan Titan, the OP on that truck is horrible. Im planning on wetsanding the whole car to get rid of the OP but I keep on having second thoughts. If anyone knows about Nissans paint system, how safe is it for me to wetsand the truck?

imported_truzoom
10-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Can you provide us with some pictures? It`s a shame that orangepeel seems to be getting worse on cars as time goes on.

J.J.
10-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I have a black 02` Nissan Pathfinder as well as a Nissan Sentra. I wet sanded some portions of the Pathfinder one time and went all the way to metal on the corners of the hood. In hind-sight, I would have left it alone. Wet- sanding is something I would pursue cautiously on factory paint. It can be done, but factory paint is not well suited for this task.

JJ

tensors22288
10-05-2005, 04:24 PM
before i was informed about OP, i always wondered why the side of my 97 pathy had NO reflection and it was just blurry and dull. well unfortunatly it is op`ed beyond belief and thats what is responsible for the dead sides. its soo covered with op everything is blurred. so i not happy with nissan paint

psl car wash
10-05-2005, 05:33 PM
I have a black 02` Nissan Pathfinder as well as a Nissan Sentra. I wet sanded some portions of the Pathfinder one time and went all the way to metal on the corners of the hood. In hind-sight, I would have left it alone. Wet- sanding is something I would pursue cautiously on factory paint. It can be done, but factory paint is not well suited for this task.

JJ

well you do have to be an experienced wet sander to do this type of job.....i wouldnt start wet sanding something unless youve had many hours of practice doing this......and there is no reason at all why you should be hitting the "metal"!!! to get to the metal you have to go threw the clear than threw the paint than threw the primer :soscared: so if u hit metal than you dont have to many hours under your belt.......this is not something i recommend to the average person to do.........normally itll take me anywheres from one to two FULL days to do a complete sand down job.

my advice to u is if you want to have the op (orange peel) removed than find a detailer or a custom painter to do this task if you want it done right.

and yes it will be ok to sand the intire vehicle and stay safe.

:2thumbs: goodluck.

oh and a good way to "test" your op is to hold say a bottle of anything beside your car about 3 feet away and try to read the label on the bottle.....cant read it? bad op

mbjkiller
10-05-2005, 06:01 PM
my advice to u is if you want to have the op (orange peel) removed than find a detailer or a custom painter to do this task if you want it done right.

Recommend any in Los Angeles? Anyone know any good ones around here? Thanks!

psl car wash
10-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Recommend any in Los Angeles? Anyone know any good ones around here? Thanks!

also with this perticular job dont just go to somebody that was recomended.......ask to see some pics of wetsand jobs or sample cars.......if they dont have either for you to see for your self DO NOT USE THEM!!!

wet sanding is one of those things where you HAVE to have the right person doing it or not to have it touched at all!

and also be prepared to pay between $300 and $1000 bucks for this service (id do it for 4-5 but you are in LA so prices might be closer to a G.)

imported_Picus
10-05-2005, 06:58 PM
If Infiniti paint is any indicator of Nissan paint (and I believe it is) then it is generally soft and thin. My one compliant about my Infiniti is that the paint chips way too easily, it`s a common complaint on Infiniti boards, too. The other complaint about the paint is the excessive OP they tend to have on panels that are further away from the paint sprayer then others (normally the fender flare, trunks, and lower doors). I wetsanded a few area of my car (hood, front fenders, trunk) and they came out ok, but I did a lot of practicing first. The OP is not entirely gone and I haven`t removed more clear than I should (I had someone use a paint thickness gauge before and after), but it`s not something I would personally recommend, since there is a higher risk of screwing up (I screwed up a few times myself).

If you`re determined to do it, I would either practice *a lot* on a beater, then set aside a week to do the entire car, along with all the right products - or get it done professionally, which will likely run you over $1000 in LA. :(

FrontierCrewCab
10-05-2005, 07:07 PM
I have heard too that Nissan paint is soft. I have an 05 fronty, I didn`t notice the OP at first, but now that I have got deep into detailing, the OP is terrible. I am dissapointed by this, but plan on keeping the truck awhile, so it may need repainted in 10 years. Good luck.

papi_jay
10-06-2005, 01:03 AM
If you plan on paying to wetsand , dont ..

That is all .. good day ...