PDA

View Full Version : Mer - really is quite horrible!

Nogrille
10-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Now before anyone starts, I know I shouldn`t of but I did and now I regret it! Here`s the deal.

My mum always threatens to take her car to the car wash, knowing full well that I`ll wash it for her. Happend to be at the folks place on Monday and the above happens. So I go to the garage and see what products are on offer.

My dad had been out and bought Mer shampoo and "polish" without me knowing. As I didn`t have any of my products with me I thought I`d give it a go. The instructions are hilarious! "if possible rinse off the car before washing"! ***!

So anyway I get through an entire bucket of wash (unheard of with Megs, AG) and the car looks clean enough. Inspect and it`s not so great. Wash again and things are good to go.

I had no intention of polishing but read the instructions anyway - then it got the better of me - "Apply to a wet car". So a test patch was done. Product went on easier enough and dried quickly but could I get it off???? No chance. It was stuck solid. MF stood no chance for some reason. When I did manage to break the top layer off it was covered in water marks underneath. The only way round it was to soak the original applicator with water go over the whole test patch again and MF as I went along. Even then it was dusting!

Terrible product IMO, never to be used again.

Suasexed
10-05-2005, 04:32 AM
I`m with you there mate!! My aunty had a solid black MX5 and bought `today`s special value` from QVC :scared: which was a Mer package with wash, polish, window stuff etc etc. I said that i`d wash and wax it for her and tried her Mer products. They really are terrible!!! Likewise, reading through the instructions i couldn`t help but laugh. I also applied the polish to a wet car with a wet polishing cloth and yep, i couldn`t get it off!! I wouldn`t ever go near the stuff even if it really was the last thing on earth!

solaar
10-05-2005, 05:09 AM
My dad used to swear by this stuff and I used it once to reasonable effect to remove some oxidation from a white car. Certainly isn`t a great product to work with and dusts for fun!

Lowejackson
10-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Mer is ok but it is not easy to work with. I found that when it dries it really needs either a lot of QD or water. Rewash the panel (dont dry it) and wipe with a wet towel to remove everything.

There are much better products for sale but if your desperate, use only a very small amount per panel and wipe before it dries

Nogrille
10-05-2005, 06:24 AM
apparently it "works very well on caravans". Enough sad really......