PDA

View Full Version : Why do I find optimum so NOT agressive?

Pages : [1] 2

zimmerDN
10-04-2005, 08:40 PM
It seems like it takes forever to take any kind of swirl marks out and I am pretty sure I am doing everything properly. This is the most agressive polish I have in my collection right now and I use it with my DAS orange pad. I tried to tack swirl marks on 2 cars before they both took upwards of 12 passes on each section (very very slow passes) before I got most of them out.

Is your experience the same?

Scottwax
10-04-2005, 08:44 PM
I have no experience with DAS pads so I can`t tell if a more aggressive pad would help. What speed and amount of pressure are you using?

With a polishing pad, Optimum Polish is similar to SSR2 or Meguiars Speed Glaze. With a Meguiars cutting pad (burgandy), it is similar to DACP or SSR2.5 but finishes down better.

Setec Astronomy
10-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Well, I learned something this weekend about the PC...turn it up to 6 and use WAY more pressure than you think you had to, if you want to remove defects. I had this thing in my head about "using the weight of the machine", but pressure worked, and is kind of affirmed by this thread on MOL that I found after:PC thread with bathroom scale (http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7034&highlight=scale), and Mike Phillips won`t even take the PC to 6 because he uses one of those crummy Meguiar`s backing plates!

imported_Bence
10-04-2005, 09:46 PM
zimmer,

You are using too much product. It just skating on the surface on its polishing oils, greatly diminishing its cutting power.

imported_themightytimmah
10-04-2005, 09:53 PM
Well, Optimum is really not a great PC polish, IMHO. Via rotary it`ll take out some serious damage, but IMHO SSR2.5 is a vastly better choice via pc. Optimum is an excellent finishing polish/hologram remover via DA, but I don`t find it useful for much else.

Scottwax
10-04-2005, 10:05 PM
Mike Phillips won`t even take the PC to 6 because he uses one of those crummy Meguiar`s backing plates!

Apparently they have improved them because the new one I have is holding up well. Besides, my Meguiars distributor says he`ll replace it if I have problems with it.

DSVWGLI
10-04-2005, 11:27 PM
Well, Optimum is really not a great PC polish, IMHO. Via rotary it`ll take out some serious damage, but IMHO SSR2.5 is a vastly better choice via pc. Optimum is an excellent finishing polish/hologram remover via DA, but I don`t find it useful for much else.

I don`t know about that. I have both the Optimum polishes and the SSR line and use them with a PC. I have to give the edge to Optimum. For me OP is like using SSR 2.5 for aggressiveness but polishes out more like SSR 1 with zero dusting. Optimum polish is very PC friedly with a long work time. If you don`t work it long enough it won`t remove marring as well.

benpocock
10-05-2005, 02:03 AM

Agreed - I bought Optimum off the back off the all the hype I`ve heard about it and have to say I prefer SSR2.5 and/or #80/#83 - it takes far too long to break down via PC (yes a long work time is good, but I don`t want to be stood there for hours!) and I don`t think the results are that great either. Am yet to try with a rotary though.

Ben

a.k.a. Patrick
10-05-2005, 05:04 AM
Maybe your not using the right product for your particular needs. Optimum compound may suit you better......So before you denounce the product, take it a step ahead.....

imported_Picus
10-05-2005, 05:18 AM
OCP does take longer to flash than SSR2.5, so it can be a bear to use with the PC if you`re not willing to spend a little more time on the car. However, given the dust that other polishes tend to create I find I would much rather spend 2-4 minutes extra per panel than have a car covered in dust when I`m done. In terms of abrasiveness I find them to be almost identical with cutting pads (medium to heavy cut, not light). The other thing that a couple posters have mentioned is OCP on a medium cut pad will finish out very nicely. You could move right to an LSP. Other polishes tend to haze, and require an extra step before LSP.

So ya, if I was in a hurry I`d use SSR2.5 and try my best to keep it from dusting. Otherwise I`m going for the OCP. You should give OCC a try. I posted in another thread last night that I find I`m using that more than OCP just because of the added aggressiveness and the way it finishes down similar to OCP.

SpoiledMan
10-05-2005, 05:32 AM
Anyone unhappy with that Optimum want me to take it off their hands just send the PM`s and we can work something out. I`ll even trade ya some SSR 2.5!

zippymbr
10-05-2005, 07:49 AM
I had to use a bit of pressure and very slow passes of a 1x1 area with a cutting pad but I got all the swrils and scratches out with one pass over the entire car. I could not do that with the FP or any other polish I have used with the PC.

FrizzleFry
10-05-2005, 10:32 AM
I had to use a bit of pressure and very slow passes of a 1x1 area with a cutting pad but I got all the swrils and scratches out with one pass over the entire car. I could not do that with the FP or any other polish I have used with the PC.

I haven`t had much experience with OCP but I find that I don`t really like it. I get much better results with Menzerna IP. The finish from OCP just wasn`t as glossy as I`m used to from using Menzerna. If someone wants my 32oz of OCP let me know. :) Used maybe 4oz from it or so.

SpoiledMan
10-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Frizzle, how much you want for it?

FrizzleFry
10-05-2005, 10:44 AM
Frizzle, how much you want for it?

Come by and get it from me for $10 :) take it! take it! get it away from me!!! (damn it`s been a long morning) I`m in Costa Mesa. I`ve got 1/2 a bottle of 3M Imperial Hand Glaze and 3M SMW for dark too if you want. But also have Menzerna. You should come by and see what you want. FMJ isn`t shipping to CA anymore but I`ve got quite a bit.