PDA

View Full Version : Swirls not removed

Joshua312
10-04-2005, 03:45 AM
Hello everyone, I recieved my porter cable and products yesterday and jumped right in to see the results. I was using optimum polish and compound on an orange lc pad. I spread the product on speed 3 and then bumped it up to 5 to work it in....The problem is from some angles the car looks great, but then from the other I can still see swirls. I ended up pulling my car in the garage and looked at it under halogen bulbs...and I see swirls all over. I see all these pictures on here when people take pictures under halogens and it is flawless...what am I doing wrong? Ive tried working the product longer and everything else I have read. If anyone has any opinions Id be very grateful because at the moment im discouraged...I dont understand what Im doing wrong.

03k20a2
10-04-2005, 04:56 AM
bump the speed up to 6, use some pressure and go real slow then tell us the results and you may have to use a yellow cutting pad

Joshua312
10-04-2005, 06:15 AM
I am looking to get a more aggressive cutting pad by tomorrow, is the meguirs burgundy pad more agressive than the orange lc...and also where locally could I buy this pad.. autozone, autovalue, napa? thanks to everyone who replies

Preachers Sheets
10-04-2005, 06:45 AM
You need a stronger pad and/or product.

Under gas station type lights you`ll see defects that you cant see under the regular sun so be prepared.

Anthony O.
10-04-2005, 12:34 PM
You may be at the limits of the PC and now need the heat and friction provided by a rotary.

Anthony

Joshua312
10-04-2005, 03:03 PM
How does the meguirs burgundy pad compare to the lc orange...I purchased the burgundy today and I was wondering how much more aggressive it is and if I dare use optimum compound with it or is this too aggressive

03k20a2
10-04-2005, 03:12 PM
the burgandy cutting pad is just like the yellow lake county cutting pad, its more aggressive then the orange lc pad. first try optimum polish and cutting pad

Accumulator
10-04-2005, 04:37 PM
Consider using 4" pads for correction, especially if you have hard paint. As Anthony suggested, sometimes the PC just isn`t aggressive enough but the smaller pads can help.

DrSauekraut
10-04-2005, 07:28 PM
I highly recommend the Sonus SFX-1 pad for correction. This pad in particular (both 4†and 6â€) is my absolute favorite . . . though be warned, as it’s more aggressive than it looks. If used properly, this pad can generate enough heat to re-flow the surface and remove the deepest of swirls and scratches. Good luck :bigups

2000firebird
10-04-2005, 07:52 PM
maybe you need a stronger polish, i started off using ssr 2.5 and its still my favorite

Anthony O.
10-04-2005, 08:03 PM
I highly recommend the Sonus SFX-1 pad for correction. This pad in particular (both 4†and 6â€) is my absolute favorite . . . though be warned, as it’s more aggressive than it looks. If used properly, this pad can generate enough heat to re-flow the surface and remove the deepest of swirls and scratches. Good luck :bigups

What exactly do you mean by "re-flow" the surface?

Thanks,

Anthony

Scottwax
10-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Definitely give the burgandy Meguiars pad a try. Works very well with Optimum Compound and the PC. Start off at 4-5 to spread the product around then bump it up to 6 for 4-5 (maybe more) very slow passes, maybe moving the PC 1/2 to 1 inch per second. You also need to put some pressure on the PC, enough to make it bog then let up slowly until it picks up speed then maintain that pressure.

Joshua312
10-04-2005, 08:30 PM
Scottwax I was waiting for you to chime in on this topic. I knew you would have some useful input. I appreciate everyone who replied...I will be posting my first Click/Brag tomorrow night so be sure to check out the results with the burgundy pad :)

Aequitas
10-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Hey Josh, when I saw your car this morning I thought it looked awesome, you could only see swirls if you looked really close. Can`t wait to see it tomorrow night. Where were you able to find the burgundy pad locally? wyrick?

DSVWGLI
10-04-2005, 11:35 PM
If the cutting pad and OC dosen`t do it try SSR 3, first with a polishing pad then cutting pad speed 6. I`ve taken some pretty nasty swirls out with this polish and a PC. You will get a little hazing but that easily cleans up with OCP and a polishing pad.