PDA

View Full Version : New to Zaino

2ms
10-03-2005, 10:09 PM
I just bought a new used car and it looks so nice that I`m inspired to detail it regularly and really take care of it like have never taken care of car before. I`m pretty much new to detailing although a few years ago I bought a P21s kit which included lots of things like wash, polish, wax, wheel cleaner, applicators, etc. That P21s kit produced startling to me results and initiated me into the idea that you have to approach "waxing a car" as a multi-step process and do it very carefully.

Anyway, I just received the gurureports thing and now have got to get some zaino. However, I do not know the history of my car, what wax is on there right now, whether the swirl marks I can see are in the wax or in the clear coat, etc. So I was planning on first using a mild polish rather than abrasive (as in not ZP-X). The car is a `99 red Dodge Neon. I dont know whether that means I need Z1, Z2, Z3, Z4, Z5, or what. I also dont know whether or not I want ZFX.

I would really appreciate if someone could give me a Zaino gameplan for my new ride. Thanks

ps - oh and, optionally, you might also share a little wisdom on what towels and stuff to use

imported_Burlyq
10-03-2005, 10:35 PM
Zaino gameplan-ZFX is a must IMO, Z2Pro, Z-8 this is a minimul order IMO. Swirls are in your paint you will need a compound. I like MicroFiber towels for buffing off the Z2Pro, but cotton towels will work fine, and Zaino will send you an applicator to put the polish on. Good news is your on the right track in chosing Zaino`s stuff, especially if durabilty is something your looking for. Have you ever removed swirls before?

SILVERHEMI05
10-04-2005, 04:25 AM
I used Zaino for the first time on my 05 silver Ram after getting input from this forum.I have to admit,the stuff is fantastic.After detailing the truck,and two rain storms later,there were no water marks,and just a slight hint of road grime.I`ve used a lot of different waxes over the years,but this product I think I`m going to stay with.If you go with Zaino,you might want to get their system for around $84.00,this way it comes with everything you will need.I bought stuff kind of piece meal,and it winds up costing a little more that way.Good luck !!!

DM101
10-04-2005, 05:56 AM
Prep is the key to a good finish!!!!!!! If your finish is really bad you need to claybar with Zanio Z-18. Then I would reccomend using Menzerna Final Polish II (can be found at http://www.properautocare.com/menfinpol.html then z-5 X2 with ZFX then add your polish Z2 pro with the zfx added x 2. This should give you a great shine. Use the detailing sprays if you wish Z-6 and Z-8. JMO

imported_Luster
10-04-2005, 07:07 AM
All good advise here....

Z5 will "fill" swirls. So if you would rather remove them, do that first with a good compound. Then Z2 Pro, followed by Z6 or Z8.

It`s some good stuff!

See my pics (sig) to see how Zaino looks on BLACK!!! :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

sbkang
10-04-2005, 10:51 AM
You need:

-- Clay bar: Z18 will be fine, as will whatever you can find locally (usually Mothers)

-- Z7 wash: You can also substitute any quality car shampoo found locally, but Z7 is very nice. I like Meguiar`s NXT wash for a local product.

-- Z1 or ZFX: Recommend ZFX. The added cost is only $10 and you will really appreciate the ability to put on more than one coat at a time, particularly the first time you do it.

-- Z2Pro: The main event

Optionally:

--Z5: Applied after paint surface prep and before Z2. Will reduce the appearance of *very minor* paint blemishes. Will not "disappear" your swirls. Better option in my book is to polish them out.

--Z-PC: Or other mild abrasive equivalent. Really only useful with a machine, though I have been able to use Menzerna IP (Intensive Polish) by hand to remove some *very small* surface blemishes.

--Dawn dishwashing liquid: Recommended by Zaino prior to *first detail only* to strip any old wax and thoroughly clean the surface. Much debate here about this, and the clay (and polish, if you do so) will also remove pretty much everything on there.

--Z6 and/or Z8: Gives that final crystalline "pop." If I were getting only one thing from the "optional" list, I`d spring for the Z8.

Note that without a polishing step, your swirls *will not* go away. Search around for ways to do this by hand, but frankly, there`s pretty broad agreement that a machine polishing is the only practical way to do a whole car.

JeffM
10-04-2005, 01:02 PM
IMO if you love your car, a PC is mandatory.

AND if you have a PC, ZPC is essential.

If you want to do it by hand, i would look for Megs medallion paint cleaner or even step 1 , followed by a Dawn wash.

I only purchased the ZFX but now am looking to add some Z1 to my list. Both come in handy, for different reasons.

DM101
10-04-2005, 01:09 PM
I agree with James. You don`t won`t to leave out a polishing step. Menzerna`s Final polish II or Intensive Polish IP , Work well to REMOVE scratches and swirl marks. This step to clean up you car is a must. Let us know how it comes out!

Lowejackson
10-04-2005, 01:16 PM
If you get the prep right, you could top with Turtle Wax and it will look great. Zaino sell a great set of products which I am sure you will not regret buying

imported_BigTinVA
10-04-2005, 02:27 PM
If you just want to give Zaino a try, I would consider selling the remainder of mine. I have Z2Pro, ZFX with the bottles and Z6 detailer. Let me know.

2ms
10-04-2005, 06:18 PM
Sweet, thanks for all the suggestions. Yeah I definately need to get a Porter Cable. However, this time at least, I wont have one because kindof poor student right now and just spent lots more on new car than was planning too, maybe I`ll have one in the spring. Anyway, I think I will get the Zaino total protection kit (http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ZKIT-1).

Yeah I definately should do something at least very mildly abrasive for the swirl marks. The Menzerna Final Polish says it is primarily designed for power tools but can be used by hand too and appears to be only super minimally abrasive. Do you guys think it would be good bet even by hand and with nothing else or do I need to consider getting something with even more bite, to be followed by the Menzerna, and then Z5 or what? I do think it`s good idea to do only minimal abrasives first in order to tell what it will eventually take without any unnessary wear on clear coat, but on other hand dont want to put a ton of layers of awesome protection over surface that I could have gotten perfect if had only added one more step in process.

Lastly, I would appreciate if someone could tell me how many towels and what type I will need in order to not run out mid-process but also not spend too much more money than necessary what with my being poor and all.