PDA

View Full Version : Wash & Wax?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_civicdacbiet
10-02-2005, 08:07 PM
Im surprised that i couldn`t find this after searching.

Was wondering what ppl thought about those off shelf products with combined wash & wax action. Is it true that they are not nearly effective at washing and/or waxing as the pure products because they incorporate two products in one, in one step?

Alss, is it better to use a wash and wax to clean the car, and form an initial layer of wax to aid a second layer of say, poorboys nattys afterwards?

usdm
10-02-2005, 08:15 PM
I use wash n` wax shampoos all the time. I find them real

time savers when I don`t have the time to really put on

a fresh coat of wax or sealer. However, IMO, they really

should be geared toward boosting the protection and shine of

the pre-existing wax or sealant.

imported_civicdacbiet
10-02-2005, 08:23 PM
But don`t u lose ur existing wax from sunlight/weather/wear and washing anyway? Wouldn`t the wax from the wash & wax act as a first layer since u r washing off the old coat?

Mikeyc
10-02-2005, 08:40 PM
But don`t u lose ur existing wax from sunlight/weather/wear and washing anyway? Wouldn`t the wax from the wash & wax act as a first layer since u r washing off the old coat?

When you wash if you are using a car shampoo as opposed to say dishwashing liquid then you shouldn`t lose much wax protection at all.

SVR
10-02-2005, 11:49 PM
They are perfect for an average joe who just washes their car every weekend and nothing more

At least there is a small layer or synthetic wax on there, anything is better than a naked paint job

However brand quality does vary a fair bit

The very old ones used to stain the glass and rubbers

imported_civicdacbiet
10-03-2005, 12:14 AM
I see... so would it be better fo me to wash my car with wash & wax, then use nattys rather than wash it with pure carwash/shampoo then nattys?

Big Leegr
10-03-2005, 02:01 AM
I would probably do the regular wash, then the Natty`s, then "keep it up" with the wash & wax shampoo.

I find they`re helpful in keeping a car that isn`t waxed very often shinier than if a "pure" shampoo were used. Not the best solution, but bettter than nothing.

benpocock
10-03-2005, 02:07 AM
I don`t use wash and wax shampoos simply because I can`t stand the film they leave over the windscreen. Use a decent wax and a decent shampoo and you really shouldn`t need to "top up" your protection every week...

Ben

imported_civicdacbiet
10-03-2005, 04:20 AM
All ive seen are great pure car shampoos and dodgy discount wash & waxes.

Are there any decent wash & waxes out there?

usdm
10-03-2005, 06:16 AM
I don`t use wash and wax shampoos simply because I can`t stand the film they leave over the windscreen. Use a decent wax and a decent shampoo and you really shouldn`t need to "top up" your protection every week...

Ben

1z Perls seems to do a very good job in the wash/ wax category. I don"t find

it leaves a film (at least one that you can see). But it does wick off water very

well, which saves me from using the wipers as often.

benpocock
10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
Just to clarify, I`m referring to the film that is invisible to the eye, but cause wipers to streak and smear like no tomorrow...

Ben

Big Leegr
10-03-2005, 12:07 PM
All ive seen are great pure car shampoos and dodgy discount wash & waxes.

Are there any decent wash & waxes out there?

A couple that come to mind that I like are 4 Star Pro Wash & Wax, FK`s 1016, and for an OTC (in Canada) Kleen-Flo`s Wash and Wax.

I`m not sure if Sonus`s shampoo counts as a wash and wax, but I have had nice results from it too.

imported_civicdacbiet
10-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Hmmm... ill have to check them all out and see how much i can get them quoted for from australia. i might just dedicate myself to properly waxing my car after the wash rather than relying on a wash & wax since from these replys, the "top up" isn`t really worth it.

Alfisti
10-04-2005, 02:55 AM
Autoglyms Body Wash is a `wash and wax` shampoo containing very strong glossing agents. You need to dry the windows well after using it or the water-spots can be very visible. Just follow the directions.

imported_civicdacbiet
10-04-2005, 04:36 AM
Ok, im gonna have to follow the instructions very carefully. btw how much is the usual price for autoglym? just dont wanna get jipped when i go looking for it.