PDA

View Full Version : SG removal, kill me now....

Pages : [1] 2

zimmerDN
10-01-2005, 08:52 PM
:furious: I know I applied too much but it was my first time and I tried the best I can. This stuff is impossible to get off. I tried the fogging method but that`s crazy because I`ll be out of breath very soon. Applying more SG to remove it doesn`t see to work either, it`s like trying to remove cement on a rock.

After hours of buff there are still some SG left here and there on each panel. Now I just tried the WOWO method and that failed too. I am sure I didn`t apply too much this time or at least I applied as little as possible. But I am waiting too long before buffing? I apply to 1/4 of a panel and buff. So when I get to buffing, it`s usually 5 secs after I applied it. Is it too little time or too much?

imported_mrecktid
10-01-2005, 09:00 PM
try washing the car again

imported_Burlyq
10-01-2005, 09:52 PM
The best way is to apply and buff off the next day, then it is super easy to buff.

zimmerDN
10-01-2005, 10:22 PM
Eh... I thought Bill North`s WOWO method was supposed to be the easiest?

Anyway, strike three for SG. I went out there for one last time before bed to try using a foam pad to apply the SG instead of the microfiber pad I had been using. This time I had a 100W incandescent light to help me see better.

I apply with absolutely the smallest amount of pressure possible so there is just a slight trail of SG on the 1x1 section I work on. I still couldn`t get everything off when I go and buff it with my pakshak blue MF. I am about to put the SG in the garbage. However, am I still putting too much on? Is it suppose to be so thin that you can`t see it with your eyes (then how do you know if you have put any down)?

As for the stubborn wax that is still left on the car, what should I do about them? Should I leave it until my next wash and hopefully they will come off?

03k20a2
10-01-2005, 11:35 PM
are you putting the SG on a clean prepped surface? also, wash the car again and if that doesnt get it off, try some isoproyl alcohol

DrSauekraut
10-02-2005, 04:23 AM
Use a spray bottle with 1:4 SG and water . . . lightly spray the panel and buff. After you`re done, keep the bottle around and use as a QD.

Setec Astronomy
10-02-2005, 04:24 AM
Yes, you are supposed to be putting down so little that you don`t see it. That is the best way to avoid streaking. As Accumulator is fond of saying, you can go by feel which areas have the SG on them. I don`t do it by feel, depending on the light and the color of the car, you can see the SG flash as you put it on "whisper" thin. Since you can`t really see where you have put it, you just need to be methodical with your application to assure full coverage. Another member here (sorry, I can`t remember who) has in his sig "If you think you`ve got SG thin enough, it`s too thick!" or something like that. I`m hardly as experienced at applying SG as some people here, but if I get some thick spots that won`t come off, I usually wait until the next wash...you should be able to take them off with some QD if they are objectionable.

Accumulator
10-02-2005, 08:35 AM
Eh... I thought Bill North`s WOWO method was supposed to be the easiest?

I apply with absolutely the smallest amount of pressure possible so there is just a slight trail of SG on the 1x1 section I work on...

I still think the "apply thin and wait overnight" method is easiest, at least for me.

As long as you`re using a nice soft applicator the pressure shouldn`t be an issue. I actually apply a fair bit of pressure. Since both SG and the applicator are nonabrasive I don`t worry about any problems as long as I use common sense. Maybe "working it" a little more would result in a thinner application.

But hey, if it`s a real pain just get some Collinite ;) I`ve come to the conclusion that KSG isn`t for everybody.

Gonzo
10-02-2005, 08:53 AM
I think you may have applied too much because it is so easy to "load" a porus pad.

I only apply SG by hand and that way I can really control the "thin-ness" which is super important! Here`s how:

I lightly dampen a microfiber cloth with water and wring it out almost, but not quite completely. (In fact I try to leave 2-3 tablespoons of water in the cloth). Fold the cloth in half, then in 1/3. Next dribble a thin line, 1/8 to 3/16 wide, of SG down the middle of the damp cloth about 4-5 inches long. This amount will do half the hood, half the roof, a complete door, the trunk, etc. Wipe the cloth over the area selected. Immediately, wipe off with a clean dry microfiber. Keep wiping until streak free. Then move on to the next section.

Let it cure 24 hours and repeat (wahsing before each additional coating of SG if necessary). You can continue this process 3-5 times to maximize the shine. If you wish, you can layer UPP with SG without any ill effects.

BTW, if you have any SONUS Acrylic Spritz, you can use it between the SG (UPP) layers as a QD and it really perks up the shine. Streaking is instantly eliminated with the SONUS A.S. as well.

imported_JellyBean
10-02-2005, 12:07 PM
Use a spray bottle with 1:4 SG and water . . . lightly spray the panel and buff. After you`re done, keep the bottle around and use as a QD.

:2thumbs: Exactly what I do.

Steve530
10-02-2005, 06:49 PM
Ah, the mysteries of SG removal. :)

I just put on the fifth layer of SG this morning. I had no trouble removing the SG on any of the layers. I have no idea why. I`ve had problems with stubborn streaks before.

Maybe the temperature or humidity was just right. Maybe it was because I applied the OCP and AIO with the PC. The surface was slick when I started. I did use some Sonus Acrylic Glanz between a couple of coats and seemed to make it easier.

ZimmerDN, you might want to try the 4:1 SG:H2O Knockwurst suggests.

I have another suggestion, and I know this is heresy, but you might want to try using more SG on the spots by hand. Use an applicator with the finest nap you can find. Not just a little, but enough that you can see it when applied. Use circular motions until it is well spread but still wet. Then wipe it off with a clean plush MF towel right away. Then turn the towel to a clean side and buff the area.

The theory here is that the additional SG will disolve the SG streaks and the clean towel will adsorb the excess SD leaving just the thin layer you are trying to achieve. The final buffing removes the excess of the thin layer.

Also I like go back an hour after the final panel is complete and go over the entire car with a MF suede cloth. If you feel any drag on the cloth, polish with the cloth until it is as slick as the rest of the area. I feel this removes SG where it is applied too thck.

zimmerDN
10-02-2005, 07:44 PM
OH MY GOD... I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT...

It`s not the how I applied it, it`s what i was applying it with. Damn the microfiber pad (came with my Klasse kit from autogeek). Well, I can`t completely blame the MF pad because I did use the foam pad and that didn`t work the first time.

After struggle with the streaks on the car, I took Knockwurst`s and other`s advice and used a 1/4, SG/water solution and sprayed on a MF to wipe down the entire car again. That worked very well. Next I switched to a foam pad and applied 2 to 3 eyedrop size SG on the damp foam pad. Folded it half and rubbed the SG into the other half of the pad. Then I took it to the car and very lightly (no pressure at all) applied it to a 1/4 of a panel.

If I haven`t loaded the pad too badly, I can start applying pressure after 5-10 strokes. Then it gets super easy to apply because I have much more control without having to worry about applying too much.

I am so good at it now that I can apply it so thin that there`s nothing to buff off afterwards. I know I am putting wax down because I can see it flash a second after the pad passes the area. It goes from clear streaks to nothing. I don`t think it`s possible to get thinner than that nor does it make any sense to.

Hopefully I am doing it right and I am not applying too little (I barely have anything left to buff off each time). I can use 2 to 3 eye drop size on a foam pad and do the entire hood with it (I just have to press harder near the end, but that might induce marring).

Setec Astronomy
10-02-2005, 08:09 PM
I am so good at it now that I can apply it so thin that there`s nothing to buff off afterwards. I know I am putting wax down because I can see it flash a second after the pad passes the area. It goes from clear streaks to nothing.

There you go.

Steve530
10-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Glad you figured it out.

I came to the same conclusion about those pads. They seem to leave ridges of SG with valleys with no SG. I thought that was normal until I grabbed another pad one day and the SG application and removal was much easier. Since then I always use a pad with the finest nap I can find.

I`m going to try that SG/Water solution in the future, because the Sonus Acrylic Glanz had been discontinued.

DJ Trackie
10-02-2005, 11:41 PM
yeah, but how effective is SG when it`s diluted with water 4 to 1?