PDA

View Full Version : aio question

imported_steveo3002
10-01-2005, 02:44 PM
okay i got some aio and sg earlier this year and im happy with the results, i tried some on my g/f`s oxidised beater and i was suprised how it took off the dead paint and brought up a shine so easily

so my question is , if i use aio often on my cars am i taking off paint?? im kinda confussed by its cleaning abilitys..or does it just take off bad stuff and not touch sound paint

thing is i intend to keep my car a long time , and i try to avoid any abrasive products

TGates
10-01-2005, 02:48 PM
It depends on if your car has a clearcoat or not. If it does, you could use AIO hundreds of times without causing any problems to the paint. It has VERY light abrasives in it (if any) and is more a chemical polish and cleaner than anything. AIO will actually enhance and prolong the longevity of your paint when used once every few months.

If your car has single stage paint, then you are taking off a little paint every time you polish it. If it`s got a CC, you`re just smoothing out the rough spots on the clear and removing the oxidation/pollutants from the finish (depending on pad selection).

Accumulator
10-01-2005, 04:28 PM
.. if i use aio often on my cars am i taking off paint?? im kinda confussed by its cleaning abilitys..or does it just take off bad stuff and not touch sound paint

thing is i intend to keep my car a long time , and i try to avoid any abrasive products

It doesn`t take off much, if any "good", healthy paint. IMO you can use it for many, many years without any problems. We keep some of our vehicles a long time, and I sure wouldn`t worry about over-using AIO on them.

FWIW, even normal but mild abrasives can be used quite often without compromising the clearcoat. It`s when you start to get aggressive all the time that things can catch up to you.

Scottwax
10-01-2005, 04:52 PM
You will be fine with regular use. All AIO is removing is the dead, oxidized paint. If you were to polish it several times in a row, you would start to notice less paint transfer as the good paint is uncovered.

imported_steveo3002
10-02-2005, 02:45 AM
okay thanks...i kinda thought as much

yes my car does have clearcoat, but why say it will okay if you have clear coat, after all laquer is jusr clear paint or as good as isnt it?? id have thought if you had a car with each , you,d wear through at a similar time?