PDA

View Full Version : Winterizing?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_animes2k
10-01-2005, 12:26 AM
Since the weather has just recently decided to remind us here that it is in fact October, I was wondering what sort of winterizing details everyone does. I`m guessing it`ll be November before I do a full winterizing detail to my cars, as our weather tends to be PRETTY mild (gotta get some QEW!), so I`d like to get some input on what folks do, so we can all plan ahead.

Thanks!

tensors22288
10-01-2005, 06:53 AM
right now (jersey) im planning on doing a full polish and wax before it gets too cold and as for winterizing im planning on applying a couple layers of sealant to the paint and the wheels before the salt hits the road. im taking a chance keeping my chrome rims on for the winter so i gota have them ready to go. also i know what a QEW stands for but WHAT exaclty is it? a substance you rub on your car and wipe off w/o water?

Nick M
10-01-2005, 07:26 AM
On my own car, I started the process off last week, proper claying and AIO application. Since then I have a couple of coats of AutoGlym EGP on it and when my Collinite arrives from Pakshak shall have a coat of that too. Finish shall be maintained through the colder months with QEW (doing my bit for the environment :grinno: )

Have a busy winter ahead, so detailing friends and family cars will have to take a back burner, so I have high hopes for Collinite 845 and 476s to last a while wihout too much attention other than washing.

Wheels will probably get some wheel sealant or Collinite again if suitable.

QEW is a sort of car wash that you can use without a hose or rinse on a medium dirty car. It`s a concentrated soluction that you add to your bucket of water, then using a pre-soaked wash mitt proceed to clean the car in sections and dry as you go along. It requires a different method of washing than normal and some people like it and some don`t. Not suitable for caked on dirt though. Thats the basic gen, but there are many informative posts on the subject.

Thomas Dekany
10-01-2005, 07:55 AM
Since the weather has just recently decided to remind us here that it is in fact October, I was wondering what sort of winterizing details everyone does. I`m guessing it`ll be November before I do a full winterizing detail to my cars, as our weather tends to be PRETTY mild (gotta get some QEW!), so I`d like to get some input on what folks do, so we can all plan ahead.

Thanks!

layers of FK1`s 2180 & 1000 for sure. But I do hope that we have a mild winter.

drewski59
10-01-2005, 08:33 AM
A few more layers of Z2Pro, and I`ll never worry about the whole winter doing any harm to my car!!:)

docker
10-01-2005, 09:02 AM
My winterizing plans...

Wife`s Jeep Liberty - This weekend AIO and 2x EX. Next weekend 1x or 2x EX, then later top with Natty`s. Treat occassionally with QD+.

My Civic EX SE - Wednesday Optimum Polish, next weekend AIO and 2x Klasse SG, then weekend following SG 1x, and top with Natty`s or Natty`s Blue. Treat occassionally with QD+. Depending how the SG looks on the magnesium metallic...if too shinny and bright, I`ll tone it down with Natty`s Blue, otherwise use regular Natty`s.

Richt
10-01-2005, 09:45 AM
Still running on the summer coat at the moment Wolfgang topped with Souveran here.

Looking to be AIO and AG EGP on it despite it being a garage queen late oct / early november ready for any winter use. Will maintain with OCP and my Carnuba Waxes as the weather allows after that.

Mine and the family daily drives Carlack 68 and EGP as time allows.

SpoiledMan
10-01-2005, 09:53 AM
After last winters 30+ inches of rain we probably wont get *any* this year but I wont get caught with my pants down this time. I`ll be spreading Z2 Pro and 845 all over the place.:D

Jesstzn
10-01-2005, 01:45 PM
My winter coats are already on .. I just add to my summer Zaino .. I never do a polish out before winter as its just going to get marred up some anyway. I also do a tapeover of the frontal exposed areas to reduce rock chipping .

imported_themightytimmah
10-01-2005, 03:25 PM
Well, I moved down south so the winter regimen is just Souveran. But for the family back north, I hit all their cars with FK2180 and Collinite x2 after a decon wash and a quick polish with OCP/cyclo. I treated all the carpets with Scotchguard too, as the salt and water tends to really eat into them.

Steve530
10-01-2005, 04:16 PM
My winterizing is in process.

I started last weekend with a good wash followed with Optimum clay and another wash. Then I fit the PC with a white polishing pad and gave the whole car the once over with Optimum Car Polish. Since the PC was out, I used another polishing pad to apply the AIO. I managed to get two layers on SG on last weekend, too.

This weekend, I`ve added two more layers of SG. I`ll put the SG away for the winter after two more layers.

I plan to use Optimum Car Wax over the AIO/SG as a topper for the winter whenever I get a chance to give it a wash.

usdm
10-01-2005, 07:27 PM
Last year, I did FK1 stuff strictly. This winter, I`m going to try something

slightly different:

1. Do my decon/ clay

2. Do my polish, and or at least a glaze

3. 2180 as the base

4. 476 or 845 as the LSP

5. OCW for my weekly wash/ wax

atticdog
10-01-2005, 07:44 PM
anyone notice 845 when used as a topper if it removes what you have under it because of strong solvents?

I noticed the other day like a black rubber smudge on my hatch after my car was at the dealership and as i was applying 845 it removed most of the smudge

Tasty
10-01-2005, 08:10 PM
I`m planning on 3-4 layers of SG on the wife`s new CR-V for the winter months. The test of SG`s durability on my truck (3 layers) has been very pleasing so far.

A-Spec119
10-02-2005, 04:56 PM
hahahahaha....I live in Florida.