PDA

View Full Version : P21s GEPC or Autoglym SRP?

Pages : [1] 2

ShinyTom
09-30-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi there,

I`m looking to spend some time over the weekend giving my car its second proper detail.

Car is about 5 months old and had picked up some minor swirls on its dark blue paintwork having been `valeted` by my car dealer recently.. They are only really visible in bright sunlight, but I`d like to try and improve/remove them.

To keep things simple I was going to stick to my existing detailing kit and give the car a proper wash, polish and sealant. But which would be best for removing swirls out of P21S GEPC and AG SRP? If it makes any difference I`ll be washing with NXT or Autoglym car wash and putting Wolfgang sealant on top. after the polish.

Many thanks,

Tom

imported_Burlyq
09-30-2005, 02:56 PM
I`ve never known GPEC to remove swirls, mildly good at hiding and it`s a wonderful paint cleanser but I would go to something else for swirl removal.

Accumulator
09-30-2005, 03:26 PM
Yeah, and ditto for the Autoglym SRP.

I couldn`t remove even light marring from soft ss lacquer with either of them. They aren`t completely nonabrasive, but they won`t correct anything.

Sorry, but IMO you`re gonna need something with a little more cut to it.

Andrew Timmins
10-01-2005, 05:16 AM
Yeah, and ditto for the Autoglym SRP.

I couldn`t remove even light marring from soft ss lacquer with either of them. They aren`t completely nonabrasive, but they won`t correct anything.

Sorry, but IMO you`re gonna need something with a little more cut to it.

I`ve had some success removing light scuffs and scrapes with SRP using a terry applicator. Maybe it was the applicator rather than the SRP doing the bulk of the work. :think:

benpocock
10-01-2005, 05:20 AM
I`ve removed hazing with SRP before.

Ben

Tanat198
10-01-2005, 07:21 AM
P21s GEPC won`t remove anything. But I love to use it anyway..as for AG SRP . It`s slightly more aggressive than GEPC but produces lots and lots of dust....but make your car look a bit darker...so it`s between Gloss and Darker color.

Accumulator
10-01-2005, 08:37 AM
Note that experiences seem to differ :nixweiss: so it`s probably another of those things you gotta try for yourself.

Andrew Timmins- Yeah, the cotton applicator can provide some cut. "Hand rubbed lacquer" was often "hand rubbed" with Meguiar`s #7 (a nonabrasive glaze) using terry. The terry provided the cut and the #7 provided lubrication.

BenP- I`ve heard others say this too so I don`t doubt your experiences. Could be that I`ve never tried it on light *enough* marring on the Jag`s ss, since I`ve always polished it with something else before the SRP. No paint transfer onto the applicator though, hence my opinion that there isn`t much cut there. Last time I polished the Jag I induced a little micromarring somehow and I tried both the P21S GEPC and the SRP (ended up making an experiment out of it, working the same panel with both products repeatedly). Couldn`t get it out with either, although they did make it a lot less obvious- most people wouldn`t have seen it. I ended up removing it completely with VM using the PC.

When I tried it on b/c I couldn`t remove *anything*, but then you know how hardness varies with clearcoats.

Gotta say that I do like SRP, despite the dusting. In some ways I like it better than AIO, but it doesn`t clean as well.

benpocock
10-01-2005, 09:10 AM
Gotta say that I do like SRP, despite the dusting.

That`s one of the reasons I don`t really use it anymore, that and the fact it`s a total bear to get off black trim...

Ben

Richt
10-01-2005, 09:36 AM
SRP applied by PC really thin or by hand in the same way its pretty dust free for me.

Seems more abbrassive than GEPC though and have corrected minor haze and marks with it.

On my old single stage paint Vauxhall I used to get paint transfer with every use and do so on a single stage Renault I did earlier on in the year.

Accumulator
10-01-2005, 10:11 AM
On my old single stage paint Vauxhall I used to get paint transfer with every use and do so on a single stage Renault I did earlier on in the year.

I`m gonna be paying *very* close attention to what happens next time I do the Jag (which I gotta admit won`t be any time soon :o ). I only seemed to get paint transfer when I hadn`t polished thoroughly with other products first. I figured it was just oxidized paint coming off. Hmmm....seems like everyone else`s experiences say "more abrasive" than mine.

BenP- I used to get SRP on the Volvo`s trim, but as long as I did an immediate wipe-off I never had any problems. But I hear this *so* often that I think it might be a matter of what trim it gets on and whether it dries or not. I suspect that the same fillers that can cause this trouble are the reason SRP seems to "hide" more than AIO.

Richt
10-01-2005, 02:14 PM
With my old Vauxhall the SRP was the only polish I ever used so must admit there would have not been anything else used first, maybe why? Saying that the paint was in good shape so no oxidisation.

This was back in the day off not knowing anything about cleaning cars when I was 18, and I used Super Resin twice a week for about a year!

I had used Carlack 68 on the Paint before the SRP on the Renault I did earlier on in the year first and still got transfer.

As for SRP on trim I find it comes off smooth plastic trim easily, but once on a textured bumper/moulding it is a right pain and seems to stain asap.

Accumulator
10-01-2005, 04:02 PM
With my old Vauxhall the SRP was the only polish I ever used so must admit there would have not been anything else used first, maybe why?

Heh heh, who knows ;) And I doubt that you did any harm with the frequent SRPing.

I know the kind of textured trim you`re talking about, had it on a VW and a Volvo. Yeah, you have to really watch what you get on that stuff!

Andrew Timmins
10-02-2005, 07:00 AM
As for SRP on trim I find it comes off smooth plastic trim easily, but once on a textured bumper/moulding it is a right pain and seems to stain asap.

I`d agree with that. No problem getting it off smooth trim like the bump strips on the doors, textured door handles can be a nightmare though. AIO seems to stain the textured trim on my car too, am I alone in this as everyone else seems to say it doesn`t.

Lowejackson
10-02-2005, 12:20 PM
The AG Bumper Shine is very effective at removing SRP, I tend to apply it before using SRP which also gives it sufficient time to bond properly

ShinyTom
10-02-2005, 02:21 PM
Thanks guys. Perhaps I should get a new polish then. What would you recommend for spider-webbing / minor swirls on a dark blue metallic car (paint generally in good condition - only 5 months old - but never garaged?

Thanks again for your help.