PDA

View Full Version : Touch free car wash

tlak
09-29-2005, 06:58 PM
Hi Autopians

Winter is getting closer and as always roads will be covered with snow (for a day or two) than with few inches of salt and whatever they use to melt it.

I usually have hard time washing my car when the temperature gets closer to 32 degree (0 Celsius :grinno: ) point. In the past I would take my car every weekend (winter weekend) to the car wash and have it washed. Mostly I have been using touch free car wash. Do you think it’s a good idea? I know I would do better job by hand, but I would like to avoid frost bites doing it.

:dance

imported_tpdetail
09-29-2005, 07:04 PM
I would suggest putting a couple coats of collinite on your car, and the buying some QEW(quick easy wash), and washing it in your garage...If that is at all possible.

qwik5o
09-29-2005, 07:41 PM
I have learned through my studies at Autopia that shooting dirt off of your paint with high powered jets and chemicals is never a good idea.

:)

tlak
09-30-2005, 05:38 AM
I can see that, any alternative?

I don`t think using regular car wash is better. And I am not driving any car covered with salt :(

nonwelder
09-30-2005, 06:56 AM
When I don`t have time for a full wash, or it is too cold, I usually go to a do it yourself, spray the big stuff off, and then do a QEW in the garage. At least it gets most of the crud off!

Brett

Accumulator
09-30-2005, 08:21 AM
Of course nothing beats a proper, by-hand wash. But *depending on the carwash* the touchless ones can be better than nothing. If you let [stuff] build up on the car, and something/somebody brushes against it, you could get some *serious* marring, for instance. And a thick layer of salt isn`t the best thing for your car anyhow.

When Accumulatorette travels down south, she runs her A8 through a touchless in Memphis (or is it Nashville :confused: ). Doesn`t strip her LSP or cause other problems, and it`s better than nothing.

Make sure you go to one that has the "blow-dry" feature. You don`t want to dry in the conventional way since it won`t get all the dirt off- rubbing with a towel will grind in the remaining dirt, causing marring.

But note that if they mix the chemicals wrong, or if their water reclamation/filtration system is iffy, then you could be in for trouble.