PDA

View Full Version : Speed camera

medic
09-29-2005, 10:30 AM
I think there`s been a discussion about this before, but I couldn`t find the thread. I wanted to know what people`s experience has been with speed cameras. I think these are used overseas, but I`m not sure about here in the US. Scottsdale, AZ is looking to put cameras to catch speeders on the freeway, but I question how accurate this would be. The cameras must use radar or ground sensors to measure how fast a vehicle is traveling - so how can they make sure they get the right car since you can switch lanes and becasue radar isn`t exactly a narrow band detector.

I`ve seen them use photo radar on side streets, but this normally only aimed (radar and associated camera) at people in the fast lane. Not sure if you can do the same on a freeway where speeds are generally much higher.

Richt
09-29-2005, 10:45 AM
Very commen her in the UK. Film baseds camera are radar based.

Vehicle speed is calculated/verified by two pictures being taken and the distance the car has travelled used to check it. This is only done over a short distance.

Newer cameras are didgital so no film!

For longer distances SPECS cameras are used which can read the number plate of a car in any lane as it passes the first camera, and when it passes the last one (plus ones inbetween - there can be multiple readers over an given distance) average speed is calculated over the time and distance and any speeder is issued with a fine, again digital and computerised. These where brought in to stop people slowing down for fixed film based scameras, sorry speed cameras, sorry saftey cameras!

I hate them.

tensors22288
09-29-2005, 11:50 AM
my bro lives in AZ an i saw a guy get snapped in a 40mph zone. it does give warning and a 8mph leeway or so as i recall. but he deffinitly said some were going up on the highways soon, thats a PITA so i`d say yes, it could happen soon

Rs-steve
09-29-2005, 12:42 PM
there everywhere in the UK!!!

this site explains how the UK cameras work, i assume if the US get them they will be similar.

http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Gatso.htm

you have to ask though are they there for anything but £Â£Ã‚£Ã‚£ or $$$

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/4003367.stm

they arent known as SCAMeras for nothing!!

MaThGr82
09-30-2005, 12:08 AM
I got nailed going eastbound on Frank Lloyd Wright nearing Scottsdale road. I was going 58 in a 45.

MaThGr82
09-30-2005, 12:09 AM
And as far as I know...there were already cameras on the 101 southbound at Shea.

medic
10-02-2005, 08:56 PM
thanks for the responses. I agree that these camera systems, red light, speed, etc are rejust for $$. If a person is speeding, they`re a danger at that time, not 10 days later when they`re getting the mail from the post office.

MaThGr82 - I hadn`t heard about the southbound 101 cameras. I thought these were going to be the first. guess I`ll just go faster before/after shea to make up for having to slow down

MaThGr82
10-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Mevermind...I was speaking with someone about this over the weekend and I remembered it being talked about...not actually happening. So it has not happened yet.

MaThGr82
10-02-2005, 09:23 PM
nevermind...I was speaking with someone about this over the weekend and I remembered it being talked about...not actually happening. So it has not happened yet.

boywonder
10-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Chicago is getting a little camera-happy itself. There are several intersections that have the red-light cameras and if you are unfortunate to trip one, it`s an instant $90 ticket.

MikeWarner
10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
We call them piggy banks here. They are everywhere.

The government say that the are only placed in accident black spots. As a results, you can now buy GPS based black spot warning devices. They use the camera locations to determine black spots. As a result, they warn you off all fixed position cameras and tell you the speed limit as you drive. They also have radar detectors for mobile speed traps.

The police in the UK seem to be very hi-tech about all of this. There is even talk of the government fitted a GPS transponder to every single car in the UK to tax drivers according to how much they drive and on what roads. As a result, the police will know exactly where everyone is, and how fast they are going. Great..... :(

The Game
11-09-2005, 10:15 AM
"Chicago is getting a little camera-happy itself. There are several intersections that have the red-light cameras and if you are unfortunate to trip one, it`s an instant $90 ticket."

Agreed to what PRINZ said..

And also here in Chicago with the city current budget shortfall. The new speed cameras is more a revenue generating device. In addition you`ll have to attend traffic school if you want to keep it off the record, which of course is an additional fee. Talk about CHA-CHING!! MO`MONEY, MO`MONEY!!!