PDA

View Full Version : Should i get PC if i have a new car?

twizta
09-28-2005, 07:05 PM
I have an acura tsx which is only about 1 year old. My car overall still looks great and maintains its nice shine. :cool: But if you get close you can see swirls mainly on the hood, which also have a few light scraches (ppl leaning/sitting on my car!). My question is whether or not i should buy a PC :buffing: to help me out with my hood problems, or is this something i could do with my hand? If its recommended that i order a PC, what type of polish and grade of pad should use with a year old car? i dont really need to use anything strong, right?

a.k.a. Patrick
09-28-2005, 07:20 PM
If you want to keep it looking as nice as possible, yes. I`d recommend a light polishing pad, and light grade polsih to start with, some nice microfibers, washmit, maybe some instant detailer, waffle weave drying towels. That will get your foot in the door. Oh, dont forget a nice wax or sealant.

be prepared for a plethora of "prescriptions"......Stick with whats highly recommended, and user friendly. Most products that will be recm`d will meet your expectations hopefully.

When in doubt, just ask. Dont be in a hurry.

imported_Neothin
09-28-2005, 07:26 PM
i bought my pc a while ago when my car was only 2 weeks old. Haven`t regreted it. everything works so much better when applied with a pc. and time savings? watch out!

MorBid
09-28-2005, 08:40 PM
Whether or not you should by a PC is really only a question you can answer. Generally PC is most useful in removing light to moderate surface marring.

There are no real benefits to applying/removing LSP`s with a polisher other than time savings (IMHO). But with many of the quality wipe on wipe off LSP`s these days using a machine works against you as you`ll actually have to get more involved.

Severe surface marring (esp if it was induced by a machine) may never come completly out by hand.

Why not get yourself a good light-cut polish and some quality LSP`s along with some foam applicators and MF`s and have at it.

Then you`ll know what your missing with not having the PC. I mean your going to need that stuff anyway right?

1andrews
09-28-2005, 08:56 PM
I use mine all the time to apply typical `by hand` products, honestly it is faster.

I would get the products first and test them out and see what you think. Really you don`t REQUIRE machine power unless you are trying to remove imperfections, it just makes everything else faster.

I got one when I got my first new car, and never regreted it. Now I finally bought a rotary, and I am even more happy with that purchase (I need both machines though).

Scottwax
09-28-2005, 09:22 PM
I`d definitely get a PC. I detailed professionally by hand for years until I got my PC and it polishes more deeply and evenly than I ever could by hand. Get a couple polishing pads and a finishing pad, along with Optimum Polish, Vanilla Moose or AIO and the LSP of your choice.

1andrews
09-28-2005, 09:25 PM
I`d definitely get a PC. I detailed professionally by hand for years until I got my PC and it polishes more deeply and evenly than I ever could by hand. Get a couple polishing pads and a finishing pad, along with Optimum Polish, Vanilla Moose or AIO and the LSP of your choice.

It is funny to read you say that, when us PC followers used to see your absolutely amazing results by hand! I bet it takes you half the time now though....heh

(I know you gave in a long time ago, I just don`t spend the time on autopia that I used to)

Scottwax
09-28-2005, 09:33 PM
It is funny to read you say that, when us PC followers used to see your absolutely amazing results by hand! I bet it takes you half the time now though....heh

(I know you gave in a long time ago, I just don`t spend the time on autopia that I used to)

Actually, it takes about the same amount of time but a lot less effort for a deeper polishing step.

:buffing:

a.k.a. Patrick
09-28-2005, 09:37 PM

Scott, you nailed it with that reply. I especially agree with "more...evenly" in particular.....Its really a no brainer if you ask me, if its within your budget. Its actually "less" involved, because your actually doing less, the machine is whats doing the work. I think you`ll find every product works better with a PC, as compared to by hand.

ToddW
09-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I got one because it takes way way way to long to do my new truck by hand, not to mention I feel like I waste a lot doing it by hand.

Richt
09-29-2005, 12:05 AM
Until this year I had always worked by hand, with a new black car I soon found a PC was required, wish I had got one sooner, go for it.

imported_animes2k
09-29-2005, 12:44 AM
I got one because it takes way way way to long to do my new truck by hand, not to mention I feel like I waste a lot doing it by hand.

I normally don`t do very large cars or trucks, but on a recent Pathfinder I did, I was GLAD to use the PC to apply my LSPs. In the case of something with that much surface area, I loved having that speed and ability to apply the LSPs so evenly.

In fact, the 750Li I do maintenance on is definitely getting some carnauba PC loving the next time around.

ToddW
09-29-2005, 09:26 AM
I normally don`t do very large cars or trucks, but on a recent Pathfinder I did, I was GLAD to use the PC to apply my LSPs. In the case of something with that much surface area, I loved having that speed and ability to apply the LSPs so evenly.

In fact, the 750Li I do maintenance on is definitely getting some carnauba PC loving the next time around.

Those cars are still small for me :LOLOL

F250 4 Door Luckily Short Bed but there`s SOO Much surface top to bottom on the doors it`s insane!