PDA

View Full Version : Doh! Z-PC Disaster...

tzec
09-28-2005, 07:00 PM
This weekend I tried using Z-PC on the trunk of my black Civic. Using a Propel blue I worked the polish in at about 5/6 until it almost dissappeared and buffed off the remaining residue. I ended up with something that looked similar to rotary trails (I`ve got some mad skills to manage this with a PC) and a very uneven shine. What I mean by this is, the parts of the paint where the pad overlapped the prior pass, the paint was a deep, shiny black as expected. The parts that did not were hazy. I went over those sections again and the spots that overlapped looked good, but the parts toward the middle of the pad were hazy. Basically, it was impossible to get an even finish. I tried different speeds (both PC and motion across the paint), working time (one pass to waiting until the product totally dissappeared into a dust cloud) and nothing seemed to work. I even thought it might still be product residue, so I buffed for insane amounts of time, tried a damp rag, and even used some Z6 with no change. I finally gave up on the Z-PC and fixed the problem with some OCP. I know I must be doing something wrong as I`ve read nothing but good reviews on this product. Any suggestions? THANKS!

Corey Bit Spank
09-28-2005, 07:29 PM
Did your narrow it down to the pad or the polish? In other words, did you try a different pad with the Z-PC, or did you try a different polish with the pad?

tzec
09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Oh, sorry, to clarify - I fixed the problem using OCP and a Propel blue. So, in my case, it was the polish. I didn`t try a different pad with the Z-PC as I didn`t have anything with a lesser cut than a light polishing pad and the paint was in great shape.

Scottwax
09-28-2005, 09:26 PM
I don`t think the blue Propel pad is aggressive enough to use with a polish. I`ll bet you get better results with the green pad.

Craigster
09-29-2005, 05:36 AM
I have had best success with Z-PC using an Orange Pad for heavier cut, and White for lighter damage. Ive gotten similar results with both LC and Sonus pads on the PC.

Heres a before and after:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60360

Corey Bit Spank
09-29-2005, 05:52 AM
I don`t think the blue Propel pad is aggressive enough to use with a polish. I`ll bet you get better results with the green pad.

But I don`t see where this would cause any huge problems, or at least the problems he is experiencing.

SpoiledMan
09-29-2005, 06:14 AM
But I don`t see where this would cause any huge problems, or at least the problems he is experiencing.

Corey, my guess is that the blue pad being so soft that it`s not breaking down the abrasives in the amount of time he`s polishing. From his statement about some areas being OK it looks like he could spend more time polishing OR a more aggressive pad and the same amount of time.

Ryan314
09-29-2005, 06:26 AM
I have had best success with Z-PC using an Orange Pad for heavier cut, and White for lighter damage. Ive gotten similar results with both LC and Sonus pads on the PC.

Heres a before and after:

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=60360

Wow, that is awesome. I hope I get results like that with my swirl mark problem using ZPC!

tzec
09-29-2005, 03:15 PM
Awesome results Craigster. Thanks for the tip Scottwax and SpoiledMan. I`ll try the Propel green next time.

SpoiledMan
09-29-2005, 04:16 PM
No problem. Remember this too, if that`s original paint on your Civic it`s very soft. You usually don`t need to get very aggressive on Honda`s paint to get good results. If one pass doesn`t clear things up then make another until you get the results you desire.

imported_NYV6Coupe
09-30-2005, 08:50 AM
Could also be leftover residue in/on the blue Propel pad if it wasn`t cleaned thoroughly after last usage .