PDA

View Full Version : Scratch X sucks!

Pages : [1] 2

Scud1373
09-28-2005, 10:17 AM
i applied scratch x on the hood of my black rsx by hand. i used a 100% cotton applicator pad and as the directions said, i let it dry and attempted to buff it off with a microfiber cloth. to my surprise, i had the worlds hardest time trying to take it off. i had to damp my microfiber cloth to actually take off the stuff. and it didnt remove any swirls or anything, in fact i think it gave me more swirls because i was trying to buff it out for a long time. there goes my hopes of removing swirls.. though i did follow up with NXT wax, and that thing works real good. and as for waterspots on my car, i claybarred the entire car and the waterspots didnt even budge. any help on to remove swirls and waterspots? ... im just thinking of taking it to a professional already...

drewski59
09-28-2005, 10:20 AM
Buy a PC!

It`s the best tool a detailer can have!! With the correct products and pads, you`ll be able to get your RSX looking flawless!

EBPcivicsi
09-28-2005, 10:21 AM
Lol.......................

Black240SX
09-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Apparently, some tubes of ScratchX had bad instructions. You`re not supposed to let it dry. The correct method is to work it with some effort until it turns clear and almost dries, then wipe it off.

You`ll get different results depending on the applicator you use. A foam pad might be a better choice on black.

the other pc
09-28-2005, 11:04 AM
Black240SX is right about how to use ScratchX, the instructions on the tube are messed up (supposedly they will be changing them but who knows when we`ll actually see the tubes?).

Also, no swirl remover will work if you just wipe it on. You have to work them with some force and energy. Unfortunately, since you got bad instructions all your energy went into removing the product rather than working it.

If your clay didn`t remove the water spots they may be etched in. In that case you`ll need to remove them with a cutting product like, well, ScratchX.

I`d recommend trying the ScratchX again, just in a small area as a test, no bigger than 6" x 6". Work it like Black240SX said and see how that goes. If it works keep going. If it works but it`s too much labor it`s time to consider a PC.

PC.

JustinR32
09-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Rather than making your post title "ScratchX sucks!", you should have titled it, "Having problems with ScratchX", or something like that. Because the problem isn`t the product, it`s the way you`re using it. I wasn`t there so I can only suppose, of course. But having used the product countless times over the last 4 years, I can guarantee that it doesn`t suck and is a valuable tool in any detailer`s arsenal. It has NEVER instilled scratches into paint on any job I`ve done with it.

ScratchX is formulated to remove swirl marks and scratches by hand, and still be safe; ie, not leave behind more scratches than it removes. As such, it contains a fairly aggressive abrasive that also breaks down very quickly.

The proper technique is to use a terry applicator, a decent amount of polish, and lots of elbow grease. Obviously, you want to make sure that your applicators and removal towels are clean and of high quality. Work an area not much bigger than 6" in diameter. Work the stuff in for 45 seconds to a minute, then wipe it off.

You can let it dry or not, it doesn`t matter; rubbing dried ScratchX with a quality clean microfiber towel can`t instill any more scratches than wiping bare paint with that same towel. But yeah, it can be a real PITA if it dries completely.

If the scratches aren`t gone, then repeat. It may take as many as 4 or 5 applications depending on the severity of the scratches, but ScratchX will remove just about any minor scratch.

It`s the way the product has to be in order for it to be safe for hand use. You`re trading volume of product used, repeated applications, and elbow grease for convenience, safety, and for not having to buy a machine.

You already blew the $10 on the product, take 15 minutes and try what I wrote above. Once you get the hang of it, you`ll consider it as indispensable as I do.

imported_Picus
09-28-2005, 11:13 AM
I really like scratchx, too. At first I was using it wrong (not rubbing it in) and I thought it sucked, but I read around and realized that I needed to apply it just like Mosca mentioned, and since then I`ve had nothing but good luck with it. Will it replace a PC or rotary and compounds? No - but it`s great for spot touch ups.

violentveedub
09-28-2005, 11:32 AM
I enjoy Scratch-X a lot. It`s not the best product for use over a large area, as it is a bit of PITA to work with if it dires or you use to little, etc. I use it for spot touch ups and samll things like the back of my rear view mirrors that are constantly smacked with bugs. this way i can clean them up without busting out the PC and doing the rest of the paint.

imported_rfinkle2
09-28-2005, 11:38 AM
I have used Scratch X too, with similar results. I think that scratch - x has its place, but i would challenge someone to rub some scratch x into my paint without causing more marring, regardless of the applicator used.

I may have soft paint (given how easy it is to mar), but agree that scratch-x CAN cause marring (inspected under halogen light).

For the waterspots, you may try 50/50 vinegar and water, allowed to sit for a bit, or, like mentioned, get a few polishes that are "hand friendly", or a PC.

White95Max
09-28-2005, 11:41 AM
ScratchX is meant for removing scratches from isolated areas. If you`re planning on doing your whole car (or even the whole hood), I would just buy a PC. It will make your life much easier. Same with the waterspots...a PC may be your only hope there as well.

benpocock
09-28-2005, 11:48 AM
As Mosca says, work it in real good and it won`t leave any marring and will take out your swirls. It`s definitely not a WOWO product. I find that ScratchX, like most Meguiar`s products, are great if you take a little time to work out how to use them properly, and not so great if you dive in uninformed.

Ben

JustinR32
09-28-2005, 12:00 PM
I have used Scratch X too, with similar results. I think that scratch - x has its place, but i would challenge someone to rub some scratch x into my paint without causing more marring, regardless of the applicator used.

Where are you? I`ll take you up on that. It won`t leave any more marring than rubbing it in the same manner with a clean microfiber towel. I`ve used the product in situations where the result is indistinguishable from the perfect surface around it.

I`m going to go down to my car and use the product on a perfect surface and post the before and after pictures.

Tom

imported_rfinkle2
09-28-2005, 12:05 PM
:LOLOL Mosca,

I live in NJ. If you were to use the "little passion" technique, I`m sure that under the right light, you wil have created marring (@ least on my paint).

ALL IN GOOD FUN...but sure if u are anywhere near NJ, I`ll bet you 10 tubes of it (if I lose). Once you Mar it up, I`ll just use my PO85RD to fix it... lol

BTW, if you do take me up, what do I get...Have any FMJ....I`m dying to try it.

JustinR32
09-28-2005, 12:35 PM
Nope, no FMJ :(. But it`s a challenge by you, not a bet; you wouldn`t owe me anything! I already have 3 or 4 tubes of SX. I`m in eastern PA, btw, Mountain Top, inbetween Wilkes-Barre and Hazleton. I just had a detail meet in Allentown PA, and my Sundays are taken through October, but I think there are enough Autopians in NJ and Phila and eastern PA that we can get a meet together. Jamie from Sky Designs is building a shop and training center in Easton PA that should be readyy by next spring.

It was hard to get the photo in the fading light, but I think this is OK. The car is a daily driver, and not washed. I cleaned a little bit more than a square foot with Meg`s #34 QD. I tried to get the sun flare right on the break. (the bright spots picking up the sun in the finished section are acid rain marring; they have been there since I bought the car in 2000).

Some comments on technique: if you use a terry applicator and press really hard, the applicator itself will definitely mar the paint. I wrote "terry applicator", and now I`d recommend a foam applicator. I tried it both ways, the terry mars and the foam doesn`t. The picture is with the foam applicator.

So in the interest of truth and clean cars, I will say that I won`t use a terry applicator for SX anymore.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/DSCF0150_Medium_.JPG

Tom

JustinR32
09-28-2005, 12:43 PM
BTW, that was my point, and I think we`re saying the same thing. SX itself won`t create the marring, but "using SX with elbow grease and a terry applicator" will. But it`s not the product causing the marring, it`s the applicator. And the instructions.

So, I agree with you, that what I wrote (terry applicator) was wrong, and I also say that SX CAN be used properly to leave no marring (with the right applicator and reasonable pressure, but not like you`re trying to push through the panel).

Tom