PDA

View Full Version : Removing Spider(!)

jasonmac
09-28-2005, 05:10 AM
No, not the spiderweb marring ;) I was washing one of the cars a couple of weeks ago, opened the rear lid to get in the jambs, etc., and a huge monstrosity of a spider quickly went hiding in a dark crevice of the car. It was probably one of those wood spiders, but I jumped back a bit when I saw it.

Every couple of days or so, there are spiderwebs starting in one of the rear windows, so I don`t think it`s left yet.

Anyone have a remedy for this type of thing???

White95Max
09-28-2005, 05:51 AM
If there are new webs starting, you know where the spider is. You can try taking a tiny stick and lightly tapping the web to get the spider to come out to it, and then take a baby food jar and lid (or similar) and catch it from the web. Put the jar under/over the spider, and the lid on the other side. Trap it, release it somewhere else where you may have a mosquito/gnat problem, and then clean the old webbing out.

I used to trap spiders all the time as a little kid. I would actually trap spiders at friends` houses and bring them back to my house. :o

I guess in a way they were pets. This was before I got my dog or fishtanks. I would go out and feed each one every day. I`d catch some ants or beetles, drop them on the webs, and just sit there and watch while the spider came out and went to work. :)

jasonmac
09-28-2005, 05:56 AM
Thanks, Paul -- I`ll give it a try. I`ve just been clearing out the new webs.

White95Max
09-28-2005, 05:59 AM
BTW are we talking about a web that is just comprised of spaced-out individual strands of webbing, or is it a web with more of a solid floor that fans out from a funnel at the back (the funnel could also be in a dark area out of sight)?

Basically, does the web seem to disappear into a dark spot?

jasonmac
09-28-2005, 06:04 AM
It seems like individual strands by the time I see them and clear them away, mostly crossing the window frame (not yet on the glass).

White95Max
09-28-2005, 06:08 AM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ednieuw/Spiders/InfoNed/Web_A_diadematus_D1160.jpg

There`s a typical web of spaced individual strands. Yours wouldn`t look like that unless you allowed the spider to keep building and revising the web for a few days.

I can`t believe how much trouble I`m having, trying to find a picture of a wolf spider web. I might have to go look around outside and take a pic.

If it is a spaced-strand type of web, it`s not a wolf spider. The spiders that inhabit these types of webs are usually found just sitting near the center of the web.

jasonmac
09-28-2005, 06:13 AM
Nope, not like that, more strand-like...

White95Max
09-28-2005, 06:15 AM
If the spider isn`t near the center of the web, it may have seen you and retreated to the edge of the web somewhere to hide.

It`s too bad you live so far away, I`d love to come play "Spider Hunter" in your car! Sounds like a challenging one...

imported_Bence
09-28-2005, 06:16 AM
Leaf blower? :o

White95Max
09-28-2005, 06:21 AM
Nope, not like that, more strand-like...

Like just a bunch of randomly scattered strands? Could be a cobweb spider. In any case, the spider`s web functions as an alarm of sorts. When an insect hits the web, it vibrates the web, which the spider is always touching (unless you REALLY scare the sh*t out of it, and cause it to leave its web). The spider feels that there is an insect on the web, and will crawl out there to grab it.

Remember though, if you take a tiny stick and touch it to the web, you have to vibrate the web just a TINY bit, to simulate a tiny insect. If you grab a stick that`s a 1/2" in diameter, and jolt the web a bunch of times, the spider will think there`s a d**n squirrel in the web or something! :eek: Obviously it won`t come out to pursue that catch!

jasonmac
09-28-2005, 06:21 AM
If the spider isn`t near the center of the web, it may have seen you and retreated to the edge of the web somewhere to hide.

It`s too bad you live so far away, I`d love to come play "Spider Hunter" in your car! Sounds like a challenging one...

Thanks! -- I`ll try the suggestions you gave me. Should I try using just a flashlight before tapping on the web or does it matter?

jasonmac
09-28-2005, 06:24 AM
Leaf blower? :o

If only I could see the spider again!! ;) We`ve got EEE going around (eastern equine encephalitis (sp?)), so I`d like to put it out back in the garden if possible.

White95Max
09-28-2005, 06:26 AM
You can give the flashlight a shot, but remember, spiders have 8 eyes. You think it`s bad when someone shines a flashlight in your TWO eyes! Think of a flashlight 500 times as big as you!

I`d try the stick method first, because the flashlight may cause the spider to go deeper into its hiding spot. And it would probably scare the spider for a while, and it wouldn`t even come out to investigate the vibration in the web.

jasonmac
09-28-2005, 06:28 AM
You can give the flashlight a shot, but remember, spiders have 8 eyes. You think it`s bad when someone shines a flashlight in your TWO eyes! Think of a flashlight 500 times as big as you!

I`d try the stick method first, because the flashlight may cause the spider to go deeper into its hiding spot. And it would probably scare the spider for a while, and it wouldn`t even come out to investigate the vibration in the web.

Makes perfect sense. Thanks again Paul.

White95Max
09-28-2005, 06:35 AM
No problem. Let me know how it works out. I`ll be away from the computer for the next couple hours, but I`ll check in again later around lunchtime.