PDA

View Full Version : How many of you detailers clay before compound?

Detailer 4 Life
09-27-2005, 08:39 PM
Hello Autopian`s

new to the forum and what a great find. Just with the first few reads i had to join! Anyway just would like to ask a few other Detailers a question. How many of you Pro`s clay before you compound a car?

I do clay before i compound just asking what the rest of you do and if you feel it makes a difference with your results.

Thanks excited new member

Nick Z

imported_Burlyq
09-27-2005, 08:46 PM
I always do, if you don`t it is just adding grit to your compound, you probably end up taking more paint material away. You can get good results w/o it too, either way but I clay.

Scottwax
09-27-2005, 09:04 PM
I clay as needed.

imported_Burlyq
09-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Very True, but if it`s grity I always clay before polish. Chances are if you need to machine, it needs clay too, but granted not always.

SpoiledMan
09-27-2005, 09:23 PM
Very True, but if it`s grity I always clay before polish. Chances are if you need to machine, it needs clay too, but granted not always.

Yep, what he said.;)

imported_Picus
09-27-2005, 09:52 PM
Ya I don`t think I`ve ever compounded without claying. Seems like even if the paint feels smooth clay tends to get quite a bit of crud off the surface of the car. I notice most of it on the hood and roof.

DSVWGLI
09-27-2005, 11:36 PM
Pretty much clay all every time unless I`ve detailed the vehicle in the last six months and it feels clean.

Detailer 4 Life
09-27-2005, 11:39 PM
thanks for all the replies.. i love claying to me it ensures as much perfection as possible..

secound question whats your favorite clay bars?

Super
09-28-2005, 12:18 AM
clay works wonders in a lot of ways like when you compound or polish the clay removes contaminates from the surface that would other wise would render the levelness between the contaminates and the painted surface. What I` am saying is when you clay you wear the surface evenly while you are compounding or polishing.

I just clayed a new 06 a few ago, the clay was real dirty afterwards but the 06 sure did look clean before I clayed it.

Claying you would be surprised how just a clump of clay can make a big difference in giving a car the consistent color throughout.

imported_Picus
09-28-2005, 05:41 AM
thanks for all the replies.. i love claying to me it ensures as much perfection as possible..

secound question whats your favorite clay bars?

I`ve only used two or three different kinds, but they all seemed exactly the same to me. It`s my understanding that there are only a few clay manufacturers and it`s all re-badged.

klnyc
09-28-2005, 06:03 AM
I do spot claying, if areas need to clay I do it.