PDA

View Full Version : Cyclo vs. PC. Which is more aggressive

TDMAN
01-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Well, which is it? It seems that everybody says use the cyclo if you want to be a little more "aggressive". But it is a fixed speed at 3,600 OPM versus the variable speed of the PC which as we all know, will run up to 6,000OPM. My thinking was that you could get more accomplished at 6,000 OPM than at 3,600 so use the PC for tough jobs and use the cyclos for a final polish/buff type application. Any one like to educate me on this? :dunno :huh Also, there is a Orbital made by Rigid that runs up to some insane OPM`s like 10 or 12,000. Would that be almost as aggressive as a Rotary? Would you be able to damage paint at that rate? I`ve got a car I`m doing Saturday and it has some very nasty swirls, which, unfortunately I believe were made by someone using a rotary improperly before I got the car. If the swirls were created by a rotary, will you still be able to lift them out w/o using a rotary? Sorry for the long post, but hope this will give everybody some answers.

Bill D
01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
The Cyclo is a dual head which probably contributes to the degree of aggressiveness. If you are talented enough with a rotary,you can eliminate or never get swirls to begin with. However, the easiest way of eliminating any imperfections caused by the rotary, especially on black, is to simply follow up with the PC or Cyclo. I`ve read some very experienced pros even do it.

mgm2003
01-21-2005, 01:12 PM
Bill talked me into a cyclo, and I`m glad he did!

The cyclo is more aggressive and it`s quicker compared to the PC. The cyclo is a well balanced machine and should be able to take care of 90% of the problems you run across. I`ve noticed an improvement in the appearance of my vehicles since using one.

TDMAN
01-21-2005, 01:25 PM
Don`t get me wrong, I have all three. In fact, the Cyclo was the first thing that I bought. But I was wondering why people consider it more aggressive? I know it has 2 heads, which would combine to about 8" so it covers about the same amount as a PC. But if smaller heads were the case, you could put a 4" head on the PC. I like them both, but I have some really tough scratches to get out tomorrow. My backing plate didn`t ship with my rotary so I will go to plan B, which I think is to revisit the Cyclo using Medium Cut and orange pads. Maybe that`s why the Cyclo sells so well: it just works and nobody can really explain why!