PDA

View Full Version : Can I use #2 with a PC?

WSUcommuter
09-27-2005, 02:26 PM
I was wondering if I could use #2 fine-cut cleaner and a yellow Meguiar`s pad with my 7336 on my onyx black BC/CC, then follow it up with #9 to remove the hazing, then #7 then top it with a coat or two of #26?

Or should I set aside the #2 since it says for rotary use only (bought it pre-Autopia and pre-PC)? I need something more abrasive than #9 I`m guessing to remove some significant oxidation (was there before me!) before going forward. Thanks!

Setec Astronomy
09-27-2005, 02:50 PM
#2 used to be labeled for hand application, etc., then was changed to rotary only, and was recently reformulated "For use by hand, orbital, D.A. polisher or rotary buffer." If it doesn`t say that on the bottle, Meg`s doesn`t recommend you use it with a PC.

WSUcommuter
09-27-2005, 02:53 PM
LOL I edited that but evidently it didn`t get updated yet!

Thanks for the heads up!

WSUcommuter
09-27-2005, 02:57 PM
Any use then for the #2 without an orbital buffer? It must not be the reformulated (just my luck).

Setec Astronomy
09-27-2005, 03:00 PM
I don`t have any of the rotary-only #2, only the really old stuff (which was really solventy, great for house-paint transfers), but they tell me you don`t want to be using it by hand or PC, especially on black.

WSUcommuter
09-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Thank you kindly. Would #80 be a better bet than #9?

Setec Astronomy
09-27-2005, 03:12 PM
Well, I`ve never been able to get #9 to do much of anything. It`s really very, very mild. If you`ve got oxidation but no marring, you might want to use a chemical cleaner like MPPC, DC1, or Body Scrub, to stay within the Meg`s products, or AIO or others. If you do have some swirls that you`re trying to get out, #80 would be a fine choice, if they are not too deep.

the other pc
09-27-2005, 04:20 PM
As I understand it they didn`t reformulate #2 back when they changed the labeling to "rotary use only". It was the same formula that had always been around but was designed for single stage paints. As clearcoat finishes became the norm they found that some would haze when using it by hand or orbital so they changed the label. I guess they figured they still needed #2`s level of aggressiveness in the new world of clearcoats but needed it to be more flexible so they reformulated it.

Like Mike said, #9 is very mild. I only use it with a rotary. I would definitely recommend #80 for the PC if your swirls aren`t too heavy. Otherwise I`d go with #83 or new #2.

PC.

Accumulator
09-27-2005, 05:23 PM
I`ve heard both stories about the supposed "to rotary only" reformulation of #2. I used it back in the day on black ss lacquer, about as soft as paint gets. I recently tried some of the "rotary only" #2 and *man* was it abrasive. Nothing at all like I remembered; no way could you use this stuff on black lacquer, I wouldn`t even want to use it with a rotary. But I`ve often wondered if I got a bad bottle or something.

If you have the "wrong" version of #2, maybe Meg`s would swap it out for the new one. Just a thought.

The #80 is nice, if pretty mild. It`s about the only Meg`s (abrasive) polish I use these days.

Setec Astronomy
09-27-2005, 05:31 PM
As I understand it they didn`t reformulate #2 back when they changed the labeling to "rotary use only"...

Er...I think you`re right :o