PDA

View Full Version : Can this be salvaged?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_RSX-S
09-26-2005, 01:19 PM
Hey guys. I`m new to this site. Just got my `02 RSX Type-S a couple of months ago, and this is my first car I actually like enough to pamper (previous cars were an `89 Cavalier and `95 Neon... not knowing any better [WTH!?] I actually used a Dobie pad on my Neon when washing alone didn`t cut it :soscared:, and waxing?! HA!). Now I`m reading all about car care, joined Autopia and visit often, got some PakShak MFs and WWs, got some Zaino, all set to go.

The previous owner cared about his RSX about as much as I cared about my Neon (karma), so it`s pretty bad. A good wash and clay got the easy stuff, but there are bug stains all over the front of the car that won`t come out (see pics). Can these be fixed, or is a repaint needed? I was thinking maybe wet sanding, touch-up paint and clearcoat, and polishing (Z5) would make them virtually invisible, but there are spots on my car that have been touched up with paint (previous owner) and they definately aren`t invisible. They`re almost as unsightly as the bug stains (see final pic). Do all touch-ups look this bad, or did this guy just do a crappy job? And is there any way to fix the touch-ups he did?

Thanks, any help is appreciated!!

P.S. I took several before & after photos on the washing stage (holding off on polish/wax until these bug stains are gone); I plan to do a Click & Brag when I`m finished, if anyone cares to see it.

The bug stains extend across the entire front hood, and even some on the side panels

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/a11.jpg

Close up of bug stains

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/a12.jpg

Another close up (closer)

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/a21.jpg

Crappy touch-up paint job

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/line.jpg

boxer
09-26-2005, 02:01 PM
Those bug stains shouldn`t be too hard to remove.

The clay bar should have been able to lift those off, maybe a little bit of extra work, but it should be able to remove them.

You could also pick up a bug and tar remover, and let that do the work for you.

You definitely do no need a repaint. You don`t want to put touchup paint ontop of them. You don`t need to do any wetsanding.

imported_Picus
09-26-2005, 02:05 PM
What boxer said ^^^

Although you could wetsand that touchup, it does look pretty miserable. Is the touchup paint raised over the surface of the factory paint, or is it concave into the scratch?

imported_RSX-S
09-26-2005, 02:17 PM
What boxer said ^^^

Although you could wetsand that touchup, it does look pretty miserable. Is the touchup paint raised over the surface of the factory paint, or is it concave into the scratch?

I just felt it and it feels to be raised rather than concave. The other spots appear raised as well. So can those be sanded down and polished out pretty well?

Searching forums for a recommended bug and tar remover...

imported_Picus
09-26-2005, 02:33 PM
If it`s uniformly raised you should be able to sand it and polish it out. For more info on that there are plenty of posts, including two really long ones recently in the detailing/university section. Or you can hit up autopia-carecar.com and click on their how to, then paint clinic - there is a great writeup on wetsanding in there. My only advice is if you do do it, use 3k grit.

imported_RSX-S
09-26-2005, 02:36 PM
I just tried to clay it again, but no luck. I worked hard at just one spot for 5-10 minutes (with pretty good pressure, too) and it didn`t make ANY difference. :(

A local detailer was the one who mentioned wetsanding; said it looked like it probably went through/into the clear coat and the white stuff was wax residue/buildup in the hole. He wasn`t sure if wetsanding would do any good, though, and I`m not looking to pay $80 if it fails or just doesn`t do a good enough job. Was hoping someone here may have experienced these things first-hand and could offer a suggestion.

Thanks.

1 Clean WS6
09-26-2005, 02:45 PM
Those bug spots can not be clayed off...they are etched into the paint. If you look closely you`ll see what I mean...I bet each one is a tiny spot of clearcoat failure. The best you can do short of a repaint is to wetsand them but depending on how deep the etching is you might seriously be compromising your clearcoat. I would use a real light cut paper and get them to a point where only you would notice them.

Scottwax
09-26-2005, 08:36 PM
If you are a perfectionist, then repainting the hood is the only way to go. Any touch up work is going to be noticable from certain angle or lighting. Once the paint is etched, it is very difficult to touch it up as well as most people would like. I`d try using some touch-up paint and some polishing after to see if the appearance is satisfactory to you. If not, having the hood repainted properly will run around $300 or so.

psl car wash
09-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Those bug spots can not be clayed off...they are etched into the paint.

:har: :har: ya what he said its shot.

and also what scott said boutt 300 to repaint the INTIRE hood is the only (right) way to do it.

White95Max
09-27-2005, 05:09 AM
I have 2 bug spots on my hood/front bumper that are permanent. I`ve tried everything to get them off. They`re there for good until I have the hood repainted, which is pretty unlikely.

imported_RSX-S
09-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I`m gonna try touch-up painting and wetsanding, followed by some Z5 and hopefully that`ll get it to a point where you have to look for it to see it. My car has some pretty good spider webs, too... I hope Z5 by hand will do the trick. If not, I may have to get some Z-PC and give it a try.

Anyone know where I can buy 3000 grit sandpaper? I checked Lowe`s (hardware store) and AutoZone. AutoZone had up to 2000, Lowe`s didn`t even have 1000. I`d like to get it at a local store so I can do this tomorrow, if possible.

Pics of my spider webs:

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/web1.jpg

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/web2.jpg

imported_Shaun Carollo
09-29-2005, 04:52 PM
Anyone know where I can buy 3000 grit sandpaper?

You can either try your local paint supply shop, or go to www.meguiars.com and find where there nearest distributor is. I have used 3000 grit and removed the haze and tracers with Menzerna IP on a pc. Just dont get within an inch or so of any edges or you will cut through like I did. I hate to say it but, Acura`s are a pain in the *** you`ll see.

-Shaun

Accumulator
09-29-2005, 05:25 PM
I`m gonna try touch-up painting and wetsanding, followed by some Z5 and hopefully that`ll get it to a point where you have to look for it to see it. My car has some pretty good spider webs, too... I hope Z5 by hand will do the trick. If not, I may have to get some Z-PC and give it a try.

Anyone know where I can buy 3000 grit sandpaper?

Yeah, just order from Meguiar`s or one of their dealers. Don`t try to get by with a coarser grit.

Sorry to say that *no way* will the Z5 handle what you`re expecting it to. You`re gonna need some abrasive polish to remove the 3k grit scratches and that other marring too, and it won`t be the easiest thing to do by hand.

marko
09-29-2005, 05:57 PM
maybe I missed something, but I didn`t read that you`d attempted to buff those bug spots with a pc or rotary? it might help you determine whether they`re actually spots or craters, and if so, how deep they really are. then again, simply buffing with with a proper compound or polish may just make them tolerable, but at least you could make a more informed decision about your next move. they look like they might as well be shallow rock chips at this point.

the bad touch-up is a likely candidate for wetsanding as was previously suggested and under the circumstances mentioned. megs 3k unigrit is the only thing I`ve used, but it`s worked successfully for me. there`s also a megs video out there and the same footage is available online on bcc, so take a look before you go after it cold. this forum has some thorough posts that`ll help quite a bit.

imported_RSX-S
09-29-2005, 09:28 PM
maybe I missed something, but I didn`t read that you`d attempted to buff those bug spots with a pc or rotary?

No, I didn`t say that. I don`t have a PC or rotary. I`ve thought about it, but I want to see if I can get my car looking pretty good by hand before I go out and buy MORE cleaning supplies (my wife would kill me if she knew how much I`ve spent on Zaino and MF towels already :D).

Sorry to say that *no way* will the Z5 handle what you`re expecting it to. You`re gonna need some abrasive polish to remove the 3k grit scratches and that other marring too, and it won`t be the easiest thing to do by hand.

Thanks, I appreciate the heads up. I`d hate to do the sanding then find out I don`t have what I need on hand to get out the marring. So do you think Z-PC would do it, or would you recommend something else? It`d have to be something that`ll work well with Zaino, as I`ve invested too much money into the Zaino to not use it. And I`d prefer it`s something I can buy locally so I can do it soon, but I can wait to order online if I have to.