PDA

View Full Version : Mystic paint question

LightngSVT
09-26-2005, 11:37 AM
My local Ford dealer just got a 2004 SVT Mysti-chrome edition Cobra in on the lot. I love the car and the paint, soooo cool. Anyway on the lower corner of the drivers door there are 3 chips about 1/4" in diameter. :( I was wondering if this paint can be touched up, or is color matching really a b**ch? The car seems perfect otherwise, any idea what it should sell for ? I was thinking $25-27k.

04MysticCobra
09-26-2005, 01:43 PM
My local Ford dealer just got a 2004 SVT Mysti-chrome edition Cobra in on the lot. I love the car and the paint, soooo cool. Anyway on the lower corner of the drivers door there are 3 chips about 1/4" in diameter. :( I was wondering if this paint can be touched up, or is color matching really a b**ch? The car seems perfect otherwise, any idea what it should sell for ? I was thinking $25-27k.

I have a Mystic Cobra and its great. Gets loads of attention wherever I go with it. I have not had any problems with touchups on this paint. the paint code is G6 from Ford. this color comes in a small paint tube and is around $6. That price is great if you can get it for that. Good Luck. I have attached a photo of mine to show the color variations of this paint. hope it shows well.

04MysticCobra.

LightngSVT
09-28-2005, 06:16 PM
Beautiful car! Have you had to touch up any areas 1/4" or larger? Thanks for the info Im planning to go check it out tomorrow.

imported_Burlyq
09-28-2005, 06:20 PM
Man that freaking car is sweet! Do you know of other models that you can get that paint as an option? Makes too?

Roadster J
09-28-2005, 06:58 PM
They are sooo sweet.

I think the mystic paint was only used by Ford and only available on the 1996 and 2004 SVT Cobras.

I read somewhere that they were not plannng to offer it again so that the 1996 and 2004 Cobras would remain unique and collectable, but I think that is just spin for headaches they may have had in producing a car with paint of the bloody-edge of pigment technology.

LightngSVT
09-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Actually the 96 and the 04 Mystic are different paints. the 04 is brighter and more green/blue. the 96is darker and more gold/dark green/purple.

04MysticCobra
09-29-2005, 03:53 AM
Beautiful car! Have you had to touch up any areas 1/4" or larger? Thanks for the info Im planning to go check it out tomorrow.

Thanks LightngSVT,

The only nicks in the Paint that I have had were small like a 1/16 inch in size. they touched up with no problem. For a chip that large you could probably fill it in with paint higher than the surface and then blend it in with some fine cut polish. Fords Mystic touch up paint will match very well but if you have an Auto paint store in your area they might be able to give a better match for that paint. Its a Dupont paint this Mystic color. good luck with checking out the Mystic Cobra today.

Later, 04MysticCobra.

04MysticCobra
09-29-2005, 03:59 AM
Man that freaking car is sweet! Do you know of other models that you can get that paint as an option? Makes too?

Burlyq,

The only other car that I know of that has Paint somewhat similar to this Mystic paint is BMW. I am not sure if its the M3 or just a 3 series BMW but they have a blue that I think is called Mystic but not sure. It might have one or two color shifts in it but not as many as the Mystichrome. I will have to look it up and see what that color is. thanks for the comps.

04MysticCobra.

Setec Astronomy
09-29-2005, 04:05 AM
How much extra was that paint option?

04MysticCobra
09-29-2005, 04:37 AM
How much extra was that paint option?

Setec,

The whole Mystichrome option for the 2004 Cobra was $3500. the paint itself is probably $2500-3000 of that cost. the color also is in the center sections of the Leather seats and changes color like the paint. that leather is done by a company here in NJ. I cant remember the name. thanks for the reply.

04MysticCobra.

04MysticCobra
09-29-2005, 04:49 AM
They are sooo sweet.

I think the mystic paint was only used by Ford and only available on the 1996 and 2004 SVT Cobras.

I read somewhere that they were not plannng to offer it again so that the 1996 and 2004 Cobras would remain unique and collectable, but I think that is just spin for headaches they may have had in producing a car with paint of the bloody-edge of pigment technology.

Zab,

Actually the Mystic paint color has no pigment in it at all. Chromaflair paint was created by JDS Uniphase and Dupont. the effect is achieved by interfering with the reflection and refraction of light from the painted objects surface. the paint contains tiny synthetic flakes about one micrometre thick. the flakes are constructed of aluminum, coated with glass-like magnesium fluoride embedded in semi-translucent chrome. the aluminum and chrome give the paint its vibrant metallic sparkle while the glass coating acts like a refracting prism, changing the apparent colour of the surface as the observer moves around. Chromaflair paints contain no actual pigments, the color observed is created entirely by the refractive properties of the flakes.

I got that info off the Dupont website just so everyone can understand how this paint is created including myself and how it is observed by our eyes. thanks for the reply.

04MysticCobra.

imported_kgb
09-29-2005, 05:00 AM
All I know is that paint is a pain to actually paint. When I used to work for a customer boat trailer manufacturer they painted a huge trailer that color for a boat show and Dupont reps where in the paint booth with our painters to make sure they were applying it correctly since they had no experience with that paint before. I guess it was a little more runny than regualr paint.