PDA

View Full Version : I can`t seem to remove all the swirls on my blk car

Pages : [1] 2

DetailersDomain
09-25-2005, 08:25 PM
I tend to be hiding them more then gettng rid of them, as I put a light that was quite unforgiving on the panel and saw quite a bit of swirls etc. I`m i not been agressive enough with the PC or can the PC handle/cut the clear?

Should I be using my Cyclo instead?

I just got the PC so I`m a newbie with it?

scottlee
09-25-2005, 08:43 PM
how about some more information

tell us if your care is single stage or base coat/ clear coat and what products and pads you used for them, and how long you worked each section :confused:

DetailersDomain
09-25-2005, 08:51 PM
clear coat, lake country pads for both Cyclo and PC.

Optimum Polish with stages on the pads

Adam`s Scratch and Swirl

Poorboys 1 to 2.5

Menzerna High Gloss Compound.

I`ve been told I`m not aggressive enough. Should I got with more passes until its done or shoudl I get a rotary?

FrizzleFry
09-25-2005, 11:19 PM
i`ve removed swirls and spider webbing using menzerna products and a PC. what`s the high gloss compound? do you mean power gloss? Just gotta work it at like 4.5-5 speed with the PC. a couple minutes per 2x2ft panel or even less. I`d use FP2 after the power gloss especially on black. the power gloss probably is leaving some micromarring.

DSVWGLI
09-25-2005, 11:36 PM
Hey pyiu, why don`t you try ssr 2.5 with a polishing pad first. Do a 2x2 foot area with slow passes about 1 inch per second. Use enough polish, put a cross on your pad with ssr 2.5 polish each line should be about half as wide as a pencil or so. Work it in with your PC at speed 3 to even it out then bump it up to 5 or 6. Work the area untill it just begins to flash (dust). Wipe the polish residue of with a MF and then check your work with a halogen work light. If most of the swirls are gone do a second pass the same as before with ssr 2.5 and that should do it. If the first pass didn`t do much then bump up to a cutting pad with ssr 2.5, if that gets ride of most of the swirls then follow with a second pass with a polishing pad with ssr 2.5. If none of this works then try your Menzerna power gloss compound with a polishing pad first and if that won`t do it then use it with a cutting pad. My god you shouldn`t have to use power gloss with a cutting pad unless it`s really bad. Anyways I hope this helps and good luck, keep us up to date on this.

DetailersDomain
09-26-2005, 04:19 AM
tks! I guess I have to work the paint a bit more and yes its power gloss...sorry about that.

JeffM
09-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Try using a finishing pad and optimum or FP2, or somehitng mild.

Also use a slower speed (4) when doing the absolute final polish with your finishing polish and the white pad.

J.J.
09-26-2005, 07:17 PM
For daily driven black vehilces, RMG... that`s all I`m saying!

JJ

klnyc
09-26-2005, 08:10 PM
PG + LC orange pad w/rotary around 1300 rpm should do it. PG dont work too well with PC.

DetailersDomain
09-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Tks that`s what I thought

imported_rfinkle2
09-27-2005, 05:46 AM
I`m not sure of your exact problem, but the part about the "harsh lighting" leads me to believe that you are using products that are abrasive enough, but the pads or polishes are creating the problem.

Are the swirls that you are trying to remove ultra uniform?... are their parts of the paint that the pc won`t touch that look different in gloss than the panels / parts in question?

I was having a difficult time removing some marring on my black paint, and saw the marks only under certain angles in direct sun / and a 500w halogen.

I found that the polish that I was using, along w/ the pads were creating the problem.

Long story short, I bought some PO85RD, and some FPII and solved the problem in a hurry with a microfiber bonnet over my pad. Hope this helps...

s2skimon
09-27-2005, 06:09 AM
swirl removal for me nowadays is a rotary

swirl temporary removal, more hiding, more filling is a porter cable

DSVWGLI
09-27-2005, 08:32 AM
swirl removal for me nowadays is a rotary

swirl temporary removal, more hiding, more filling is a porter cable

I couldn`t dissagree more. If you are unable to remove light to moderate swirls with a PC then you are not moving slow enough with the right pressure, pad and product. If you do not agree then have a look at my September entry the 750il. After all the polishing it was wiped down twice with iso and no marks remained. You have to have patience when using the PC it dosen`t produce quick results.

s2skimon
09-27-2005, 08:41 AM
PC it dosen`t produce quick results.

no problem.. i just find a pc no longer works well enough for me.. i don`t think the time nor the finish is warranted by a porter cable anymore.

Accumulator
09-27-2005, 09:10 AM
Why use the PC instead of the Cyclo if you have both? No way would I choose the PC for correction.