PDA

View Full Version : Help on Restoring Paint

ikellen
09-25-2005, 04:13 PM
I have a problem on my car with swirling. Like reeeaaal bad. I have been good on keeping the car clean and glossy, but I haven`t really done any restorative type work to remove scratches, swirls, etc. I wash, clay and wax almost every weekend ( I usually clay once every two or three weekends), and the car looks good from a distance, but up close the paint is horribly swirled.

So, with this in mind, I decided to attempt to try to remedy this yesterday. I washed (Meg`s Gold Class and Wool Wash Mitt), clayed (mothers gold clay with mothers QD), and washed again to remove clay residue. Now first I must mention that I have no PC, so everything right now is by hand. I picked up the Meg`s deep crystal 3 step polishing system. I applied step one and two by hand with foam pads. The bottle said to simply apply, which seemed extremely vague to me. At first I just spread it on like wax, and then wiped off with a MF towel. This seemed to do nothing at best, so I started applying in a scrubbing manner, going back and forth in one direction. I didn`t put alot of pressure on it, but I went back and forth around 30 times for each 2` x 2` area.

As it ended up, the process didn`t do much. If anything the swirling was diminished a tiny bit, but it would only be noticeable if you really stared at it. I don`t know if it was because I didn`t "apply" it for long enough, or if the hand application didn`t really do as good of a job as a PC/Rotary. Either way, the end result didn`t help.

So now I ask the detailing masters that reside in this place known as autopia. How should I go about this? I`ve thought about purchasing a PC and related materials, but Im still 50/50 on it. Is it truely the answer to my problems, or can I get by with doing things by hand? Also, what should I look at in terms of polishes? Im thinking either SFX-1 or SSR2.5/SSR3 and then moving down the spectrum to get it back to a smooth deep shine.

Lastly, what is the best method for applying things by hand? The instructions for most products are incredibly general, so im looking for some more in depth instruction.

Thanks folks :buffing:

Accumulator
09-25-2005, 04:49 PM
ikellen- Welcome to Autopia!

Don`t beat yourself up over the results from the Deep Crystal system. It`s all nonabrasive stuff so *that`s* why it didn`t remove the marring.

I`m not familiar with the SFX or SSR lines, so I`ll let somebody else comment on those.

While some people (most notably ScottWax) have done marring removal by hand, IMO life`s too short and hard enough as it is. I`d absolutely get the PC, but don`t expect miracles from it either.

For by hand use, you work abrasives until they`ve broken down (how long this takes varies with the products). Then you buff off the residue and inspect to see if you need to do it some more. Most of the time you don`t work it until it`s dry, you take it off while it`s still a little wet. Abrasives are what you need to remove the marring.

Apply with 100% cotton terry (most aggressive) or MF or foam (much less aggressive. Buff off residues with soft MF. But I`d say to get the PC.

Nonabrasive stuff like the Deep Crystal products won`t need to break down. DC#1 is a chemical paint cleaner, DC#2 is a "pure polish" in Meguiar`s-speak, meaning it`s like makeup for your paint. DC#3 is a wax that seals in the makeup from step #2 and provides some protection. You work the DC#1 until it has done its "clean the paint" thing, wiping it off before it dries. Keep using a clean part of the applicator (or wash it , or get another one) so that you don`t rub the dirt/etc. back into the paint. The DC #2 only needs to be worked until you`ve "rubbed it into the pores of the paint", you buff it off while it`s still wet too. DC#3 you *do* let dry after you rub it on the vehicle. Then buff off the dried residue.

White95Max
09-25-2005, 05:45 PM
No, don`t bother doing the swirl removal by hand. It`s a waste of time, a LOT of time.

Get a PC to remove them. I use the SSRs, and I`d certainly recommend them.

96 328ic
09-25-2005, 06:21 PM
wow, you will kill yourself doing that by hand. Get a PC and check out my thread, all the swirls on my car came out great.

http://autopia.org/forum/showthread.php?t=62532

ikellen
09-25-2005, 10:54 PM
If it`s any help, here`s a pic I took today around noon:

http://staff.hightechhigh.org/~kgriffey/swirls.jpg

This is the case pretty much all over the car. I get the point that a PC is the way to go, but how harsh of a polish should I start on with swirls like this?

Black240SX
09-25-2005, 11:17 PM
I can`t tell how hard the paint is, but some reasonable starting products are:

Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze (4)

Menzerna Intensive Polish (5)

Poorboy`s SSR 2 (5)

The numbers are the approximate abrasiveness of each product.

jimmybuffit
09-26-2005, 04:29 AM
Welcome!

While I completely agree with the replies so far, here`s another take...

The ~$200 that you are about to spend on supplies and equipment is more than an Autopian pro would charge to completely restore your paint... Spend the balance on small items to provide continuing care for your car.

Sorta depends on how involved you choose to become.

Good Luck!

Jim

White95Max
09-26-2005, 08:41 AM
Yeah I`d try SSR2 or 2.5 with a green pad.

ikellen
09-26-2005, 12:00 PM
Welcome!

While I completely agree with the replies so far, here`s another take...

The ~$200 that you are about to spend on supplies and equipment is more than an Autopian pro would charge to completely restore your paint... Spend the balance on small items to provide continuing care for your car.

Sorta depends on how involved you choose to become.

Good Luck!

Jim

Good point.......I could see myself getting repeated usage out of it though, as we have 5 cars in my family. I just made $20 from my dad to remove some caked on contaminents with a clay bar. As well as the fact that I wouldn`t mind a few simple detail jobs on the side here and there.