PDA

View Full Version : 3m Perfect-It II RC and SSR2.5

Synthetic
09-25-2005, 11:46 AM
I just bought a bottle of 3m Perfect-It II rubbing compound for the purpose of removing some 2000 grit wetsanding marks. Now I just happened to wonder how the product works in comparison to Poorboy`s SSR2.5? Or any of the other lines? In terms of removing minor paint defects and swirling, what would 3m Perfect-It II be the equivalent of for other brands?

Incase I encounter any future problems with my paint I wanted to know whether the 3m product I have right now would do the job, or whether I might need something else. I haven`t used it yet so I can still return it. I hear of many people using SSR`s but is it possible/safe to actually go through the entire car with the 3m?

Thanks, I still have a lot to learn.

papi_jay
09-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Depends which one you got . If it`s fine cut then it`s the equal of 2.5 on the abrasive scale , except 3m contains no silicones or waxes and SSR2.5 does . Also SSR2.5 is supposed to break down further into a finer polish , no so sure 3m does .

It`s also equal to meg`s #83

Accumulator
09-25-2005, 12:52 PM
Synthetic- While I haven`t used the SSR line, I have used the PI-II RC. While I prefer the discontinued PI-III RC, the PI-II stuff works about as well. It is safe for use on any normal paintjob and it breaks down pretty well, often leaving an almost-ready-to-wax finish. You can use it by hand, PC, or rotary. Follow up with something milder for a really nice finish.

2000 marks are a bit coarse for this product if you`re not using a rotary. But I`ve removed 2500 marks with the PI-III stuff so you should be OK (it just might take a while).

Note that the dust it reduces to is carcinogenic, sorta like asbestos. I dunno how great a risk it really is, but you`re supposed to wear a proper mask when using the stuff.