PDA

View Full Version : My `93 240SX again

Black240SX
09-24-2005, 11:14 PM
I polished my car again, and now feel the need to post more pictures of it.

Last spring, I used Meguiar`s #83 DACP and #80 Speed Glaze to remove 12 years of swirl marks. I was very pleased with the results, but thought there might be a bit more shine to be had.

After much reading, I decided to try Menzerna Final Polish II this time. FP2 has gotten mixed reviews, with some people finding it very difficult to remove. But reports of excellent results from other people won me over.

I started out washing and claying my car. I noticed that the clay picked up very little embedded dirt. My car seems to stay much cleaner since I first polished it, six months ago.

Then I did an expirement, to compare some of the polishes that I have. I taped off three sections of paint and applied a different polish to each, using my PC at speed 5:

Meguiar`s #97 Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner took a bit of time but polished up quite nicely.

Meguiar`s #80 Speed Glaze worked quickly and looked very nice, until I removed the polishing oils with alcohol. The paint looked a bit dull and brownish.

Menzerna Final Polish 2 took a bit of time but polished up very nicely.

Final Polish 2 was the winner! :clap: The clarity and shine were better than I had thought possible. I really am very impressed with it.

MPPC came in second, but not by much. I had only used this previously by hand and was not sure what to expect with machine application. It`s usually considered to have less cutting ability than FP2, though I would rate them about the same in that regard.

Speed Glaze came in third. It has more cutting ability than the other two, and works faster. I`m thinking this product was designed more for high volume shops that want good results quickly. I suspect most autopians are looking for the best results and are willing to put in the extra time needed.

The experiment over, I went to work polishing my car with Final Polish 2. I had no trouble with it, except for a spot where I polished it a little too long. It was tough to remove in that spot, but easy elsewhere. Stop just before it dries and you`ll be fine.

After polishing, I put on two coats of Meguiar`s #26 Yellow Wax. The finish left by the FP2 was so glossy that the wax didn`t make much difference in the appearance. This proves the importance of good prep work.

Anyhow, on to the pictures.

Side view

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/side.jpg

Reflection of a tree off the hood

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/tree.jpg

Sun shot, which unfortunately highlights the small paint chips on my hood

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/sun.jpg

At the beach

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/beach.jpg

imported_truzoom
09-25-2005, 12:38 AM
Nice to finally see your car :)

Seems there aren`t many complaints about the Menzerna line..thanks for the review.

LucentTeg
09-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Car looks amazing, I love seeing a car that age look so good.

Beach15
09-25-2005, 03:03 PM
All I can say is WOW! Your 240SX is probably one of the only ones still around that has ANY shine to it, let alone being that glimmering. One of my neighbor`s has a dark red one that, I`m certain, hasn`t been washed once in the 6 years we`ve lived up the street, unless a rainstorm counts--and beyond that, it looks like it has turned pretty much flat on every surface.

Only other one I know is a gold metallic with beige leather model that a lady drove occasionally to where I worked--always clean, but didn`t look like her definition of clean went much past a wash job.

Simply put, your car is STUNNING, especially when compared to other similar models still running around today.

White95Max
09-25-2005, 06:48 PM
Looks beautiful! Especially for a 12 yr old car! :xyxthumbs

C-westin'FD
09-25-2005, 07:11 PM
WoW!!! :xyxthumbs

Corey Bit Spank
09-26-2005, 06:26 PM
it`s bootyful!

klnyc
09-26-2005, 07:09 PM
Nice...

SR20DET w/GtR-34 turbo Mm mmm.....DRIFT baby! :grinno:

gav'spurplez
09-28-2005, 07:46 AM
menzerna + black = :woohoo:

515colfelt
09-28-2005, 11:15 AM
Interesting test. I`ve got both FP2 and MPPC and since getting the PC haven`t used the MPPC.Thanks to you I will try it out again. :xyxthumbs