PDA

View Full Version : Goo gone

08 MX5
09-24-2005, 08:24 PM
Has anyone tried goo gone on the paint before? Is it safe? I have some kind of stain/gunk that I can`t get off with bug and tar remover.

4830Deuce
09-24-2005, 09:23 PM
they make a special automotive goo gone, it is sold in murry`s, auto zone, ect. I have used it on my car...Im sure its not great for paint....but I havent seen any ill effects. just dont poor the whole bottle on, scrub it in and let it sit...wash it off good and you`ll be fine.

salty
09-25-2005, 02:26 AM
It seems to be safe if used for a short period. Do not let it dwell for too long. Basicly if a product like this is to work it will show results fairly fast. You might want to try clay.

imported_kgb
09-26-2005, 05:07 AM
My dad used it once to take off a bumper sticker and it stained his bumper.

The Big Kahuna
09-26-2005, 11:19 AM
I have used plain old goo gone to remove white paint that was scuffed all over the fender of a silver mercedes. No problems, I just put some on an MF towel and rubbed the white paint off.

TortoiseAWD
09-26-2005, 12:15 PM
I`ve never had problems using Goo Gone to remove adhesive residue, sap, tar, etc . . . just be careful not to confuse Goo Gone with Goof-Off. Goo Gone is citrus-based (d-limonene), and relatively safe for car paint (AFAIK). Goof-Off is xylene-based (much harsher, may be harmful to paint in the long run).

Tort

boxer
09-26-2005, 02:08 PM
I used goo-gone to remove the residue left behind when i took off the badging on the back of my car. Worked well, I simply re-waxed the spot after I was finished. THis was 2 years ago, and there is no difference from the rest of the paint.