PDA

View Full Version : Buying a PC what to get?

bobby5
09-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Im gonna buy me a Porter Cable 7424 and was wondering what other stuff i would need. I really want it to wax my car faster but will use it sometimes to polish and get swirls out. I was wondering how hard are they to use and will they leave swirls like i see most people who use those big Dewalt buffers do? Is there any kits out there that come with all the pads and compunds i would need?

rollman
09-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Pick up a some other pads , a good start would be one of the kits that comes with 4 or 5 different pads and a backing plate . The PC is pretty safe on your paint and very simple to use.

http://meguiars.com/video/

Click on the "Power Polishing Clinic" for a look on how to use the PC .

Happy Detailing :buffing:

the other pc
09-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Im gonna buy me a Porter Cable 7424 and was wondering what other stuff i would need. …A decent backing plate, foam pads and your choice of chemicals.

…I was wondering how hard are they to use…Pretty easy really.

…will they leave swirls like i see most people who use those big Dewalt buffers do?…That’s a rotary buffer, it’s a whole different animal. With a rotary it takes skill to avoid swirls. With a PC you have to go out of your way, using completely wrong pads and/or chemicals to do that.

… Is there any kits out there that come with all the pads and compunds i would need?What chemicals you need depends on what you want to do. Here’s a kit that has what you need to shine up a finish that’s in pretty good shape to begin with (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/son-daspol-kit.html). Just add your favorite wax.

PC.

bobby5
09-25-2005, 12:04 PM
I ordered this one on ebay and was wondering if you think it was a good deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Porter-Cable-7424-Polisher_W0QQitemZ6001763845QQcategoryZ42266QQssPa geNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Lowejackson
09-25-2005, 12:11 PM
I thought they could be boughts for $99, if you have ordered one dont worry about it. It is a great tool and very easy to use

yankees1
09-25-2005, 02:12 PM
I was in the same situation as you not long ago and after a lot of research I went with the Edge2000 pad system and VERY glad I did! I bought mine from Autogeek .

Mitchubishievo
09-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Get a set of Meguiar`s and/or Propel Pads, some Optimum Compound and Optimum Polish, maybe some Menzerna Powergloss, and get polishing!

ToddW
09-28-2005, 04:35 PM
There $119 at amazon.

Louie
09-29-2005, 09:45 AM
$109 at Lowe`s. Still need to get a backing plat and pads, I use Lake County pads from Classic Motoring their site is properautocare.com

ikellen
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
If you view my thread, it lists what I bought. In general, I would get the PC (obviously), either Sonus (DAS or SFX) pads, whatever polishes you think you may need (lots of options here, Sonus, Menzerna, Optimum, Meguiars, etc), and possibly a pure carnuba wax to seal it all in (P21S, Meguiars, Pinnacle). Supplement this with stuff you should alread have (wash materials, clay, quick detailer, etc) and you have a pretty complete detail kit.

yankees1
09-29-2005, 04:36 PM
Starting out with no equipment I would suggest to go with the Edge 2000 pad system. This was my choice and I am extremely satisfied with these pads and quick release.

chgoh
09-29-2005, 05:53 PM
$109 at Lowe`s. Still need to get a backing plat and pads, I use Lake County pads from Classic Motoring their site is properautocare.com

Not sure if TechForLess.com is a good place or not (never did business with them before), but they do have a "opened" PC7424 (std box package I believe) that`s going for USD99 (less tax and shipping).