PDA

View Full Version : Speaker question

Pages : [1] 2

tlak
09-22-2005, 06:31 PM
I just bough Infinity KAPPA692.7I speakers which I am going to install at the rear of my Honda 2004 Accord Coupe. Speakers have external crossovers. Manual instructs that crossover should go in-line with amplifier output and is required for proper operation. I have Honda stack radio and not planning to change that, I am not going to add external amplifier either.

Do I need to install crossovers? Should I install crossovers?

thanks

drewski59
09-22-2005, 06:43 PM
Yes, you need the crossovers. The Kappas don`t have any internal one, so you`re speakers would sound like crap. All they mean is that you connect whatever factory speaker wire was driving the speakers you`re replacing to the crossovers and connect the crossovers to the speakers using the spades.

Great speakers, BTW. I replaced all of my factory speakers with Kappas. :bigups

tlak
09-22-2005, 06:51 PM
hm thanks

I was thinking about not having tweeter used at all at the back since I have stock once at the front and my Infinity reference in the front doors have them too. I wonder if I would risk damaging kapas if I did not use crossovers - not use tweeters.

Wasatch
09-22-2005, 07:09 PM
They would sound so much better with an amplier.

tlak
09-22-2005, 07:12 PM
Yeah but......am not gonna

:nervous:

Mike-in-Orange
09-22-2005, 08:51 PM
I agree with drewski - install as per instructions provided by manufacturer. Infinity makes awesome speakers; they`ve spent a ton making them sound the way they do, so don`t try to second guess them.

I swapped all 6 factory speakers in my car with Infinity Reference units, keeping my factory headunit (6 disk changer + Sirius Satellite) and the improvement in sound quality is just outstanding.

WSUcommuter
09-23-2005, 04:59 AM
I agree with all above- I`ve had a set of Reference Series in my first truck, running off a 40x4 watt head unit and they were crystal clear. In my `98 I was adamant about using only Infinity, so I have the Kappa 6.5" midranges with a set of 1" silk dome tweeters I installed flush on the top of my door panels. I mounted the crossovers inside the door panel where the power window motors would have mounted to the doorframe, had the truck been equipped with those instead of the manual cranks.

I noticed significant improvement going from the stock HU to my Alpine 9811 and all the power it provided. I`ve been told the Kappa series really shine with about 100 watts amplification going to each channel.

MikeWarner
09-23-2005, 05:33 AM
Use the cross over. Don`t use the tweeter if you don`t want to. Tweeters in the rear can ruin the sound stage. Why not use the mids at the rear and the tweeters at the front instead of the factory ones?

tlak
09-23-2005, 05:47 AM
Kappas which I have for the rear have tweeters (together) in them they are adjastable -/+3db.

I have stock tweeters at the front (windshield area and I`m not going to replace them). Front door are infinity referance (2 way - mid range ) series and they have tweeter - no crossover only capacitor. I can not adjast reference tweeters. I thought about not conecting crossovers at the back at all that would diseble tweeter. I don`t want the sound to be too sweet due to too many tweeters. I thouhg that rear speakers should be mostly for base. I am getting confused.

drewski59
09-23-2005, 07:28 AM
The tweeters in your Kappas are much sweeter sounding than those in the References. I tried disabling the tweeter on a pair of my Kappas, and the speakers didn`t work. You have to run both drivers or nothing at all. I`m not sure why it`s designed that way, but it is. My friend just covered his tweeters with pieces of Dynamat. Whatever works, I guess.:)

Try covering up your tweeters in the doors. Then you will essentially have a component system in the front soundstage. Mid/bass in door and tweeter by the windshield. By doing that, you`ll have one set of woofers and tweeters in the front AND back. It should be easier to tweak your sound that way. Just a thought...

tlak
09-23-2005, 03:18 PM
ok thanks I will install crossovers at the back than, probably adjast tweeters as needed. Only have to find right spot to mount crossovers. Have anyone done it in honda 2004 accord coupe -just wonder.

thanks everyone. :)

drewski59
09-24-2005, 04:47 PM
I just wrapped mine in foam and `threw` them in the speaker opening. They don`t make any rattling noise, so I guess I`m okay! It`d be a bear to actually mount those things inside somewhere. IMO, it just wasn`t worth the effort.

tlak
10-02-2005, 01:20 PM
Just a little up-date. I mounted Kappas at the back with crossovers (used zip ties and some padding foam) Installation came out very nice. Kappas are mounted only by 2 screws (other 2 did not align), but it holds and does not rattle. I had to adjust tweeters in kappas because with +3db gain sound was little too sweet fro my taste. At the front I installed reference speakers (had to use 1/4 inch spacer, also lined doors with dynamit). Everything came out excellent, sounds perfect (I don`t need an amp). Seams like the sound (not loud though) kills Honda rattling, squeaking problems. WOW you should see stock speakers, and what is behind all the plastic Honda got accustom to. I didn`t expect 27k car would be soo cheap designed.

I miss my fords :)

drewski59
10-02-2005, 03:17 PM
Glad everything turned out well. Those speakers are also very reliable and will give you years and years of sweet music!:bigups

Honda? Cheaply designed? Worse than Fords? I`ve never heard that before! Your Accord is the benchmark(w/the Camry) for midsized cars! Our Pilot is leaps and bounds better-built than my friend`s Sport Trac.

Oh well, maybe you got an anomaly?

WSUcommuter
10-02-2005, 03:34 PM
I won`t discredit the durability of Japanese designed, American built automobiles. I will reject the notion that Honda, Isuzu, or any other foreign car I`ve ever sat in has better audio systems than GM (often Bose) or Ford (often JBL). I think that is the point above that was trying to be made.