PDA

View Full Version : AUTOPIA >>> STYLE * APPEARANCE * SHOW

Pages : [1] 2 3

Bobby G
09-22-2005, 01:53 PM
Dear Autopians,

The Autopia Moderators and I are pleased to announce an exciting change for our community’s future.

Since its beginning in 1999, Autopia members have gathered to discuss the appearance of their car. It is the fine art of car detailing – the core of our discussion and knowledge transfer – that creates a car with perfect appearance.

We believe that it is now time for Autopia to evolve to support a broader view of the car hobby. The natural evolution for us is “style” and “show,” as they come before and after “appearance”. Therefore, our new direction is “Style, Appearance and Show”.

What changes does this mean for Autopia as we know it today? Nothing radical. We have planned changes in three phases.

Phase I (now) is to consolidate several existing forum areas and complete features that are not working.

Phase II will add new forum areas to support “Style”. I will make a second announcement prior to this phase.

Phase III will add new forum areas and features to support “Show.”

This topic is also posted in the Hot Tub forum for open discussion.

Wasatch
09-22-2005, 02:06 PM
Sounds nice, looking forward to the change and what it involves.

Setec Astronomy
09-22-2005, 02:08 PM
I`m not really sure what this means. Can we get some elaboration?

Richt
09-22-2005, 02:12 PM

Like wise!

Bobby G
09-22-2005, 02:13 PM

Mike,

I won`t go into Phase III b/c it would be letting the cat of the bag on new features. Let`s discuss Phase I and II.

Phase I will consolidate:

Autopia University and Detailing

Detailing Product Discussion and Ask the Manufacturer

Phase II will add four new topic areas for "Style":

1. Tires & Wheels

2. Body Styling

3. Electronics and Lighting

4. Interior

imported_Picus
09-22-2005, 02:41 PM
I like both ideas. Some of those categories were redundant, and I really like the idea of having forums for aesthetics (not just detailing) on Autopia given the level of experience a lot of the members have.

stilez
09-22-2005, 05:53 PM
David: Awesome idea!

I meant to ask you this, so I will just post it right here. What about a "Auto Review" section? I know there are only a few that drive the same car here, which makes this place beautiful. I would really like to see thorough reviews on each and everyones vehicles. It could really give more meaning to "Autopia" and attract new clients. Just an idea.

Bobby G
09-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Hi Sean!

The Mods and I discussed this, but we thinh getting too far off track from the original mission of the site is risky. There are a number of Makes and Models sites out there. Yahoo is about to announce their own Makes and Models site at SEMA. The rumor is also going around that CarDomain.com will be starting a Makes and Models forum.

For now, I think it is best that we stick to STYLE * APPEARANCE * SHOW. It gives me a lot of new topics to write about ;)

db

ZaneO
09-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Not a big fan of the way Autopia has been going lately, but that`s JMHO. :)

Bobby G
09-22-2005, 06:27 PM
Not a big fan of the way Autopia has been going lately, but that`s JMHO. :)

Do you have a constructive complaint, Zane? The changes are about making the community better.

Ideas :idea are always welcome.

ZaneO
09-22-2005, 06:44 PM
Well, it`s not necessarily the visual changes to the layout or anything like that.

I think, for me, it has more to do with participation and members. I just find it to be a much less enjoyable place than it once was.

:)

pontman43
09-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Any word on the aBay? I keep checkin it everyday, just in case. lol

I would also suggest combinding the Body style and wheels and tires together and call it Exterior Styling or something. I just dont think a whole lot of people will be posting there (wheels and tires). And maybe add a engine styling type thing for dressing up the engine. Well actually that probably wouldn`t be that popular. Thats all I can think of right now. Everything else I like though.

Bobby G
09-22-2005, 08:11 PM
The recommendation to fix aBay is to upgrade to the newest version of vBulletin. I nned to run the upgrade against the test system then schedule an outage for Autopia.org.

Corey Bit Spank
09-22-2005, 08:43 PM
Well this is most certainly different. :)

imported_perry
09-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Wow, now I`ll probably visit even less.

I liked the Detailing forum because it was more advanced than the University forum. Less of the same. Wasn`t the University forum created for that purpose -- keep the basics there, and the more advanced stuff in the Detailing forum? Why go back to the old way?

I don`t under a concentration on body kits and wheels and crap. Too many different cars with different parts for each that I`m better off going to a car specific forum than hoping that someone here happens to have the knowledge that I seek. Detailing is generic enough that it applies to all makes and models, modifications are not.

Better to stick to your core competency and let others take care of the rest.