PDA

View Full Version : Wash after Buff

imported_turbomangt
09-22-2005, 04:32 AM
Now sure how many of you wash after you buff out a car, But I do it all the time now. It seems that no matter how much you mask, towel off windows, dust seems to find its way everywhere around trim, emblems, door handles you name it. It takes longer but the end result is one dust free car. :dance

a.k.a. Patrick
09-22-2005, 05:08 AM
I never do Gary. I havent found any real benefit to washing. A hi-pressure stream of air from my compressor is usually suffice.....

EBPcivicsi
09-22-2005, 06:01 AM
I don`t either, once I get the car dry I want it to stay that way. It would take me longer to redry the car than to QD the cracks and crevices. It is a PITA in the summer when EVERYTHING dust pretty bad, but for my process it beats redrying the car to apply the LSP.

Gary, what material do you use for washing when doing it the second time? MF or sheepskin?

Mad iX
09-22-2005, 06:25 AM
I sometimes wash a second time before LSP.

Water only (no soap) on isolated spots to blast away dust, or wash with shampoo to get rid of traces of polish so it`s nice and clean, ready for LSP.

imported_turbomangt
09-22-2005, 06:28 AM
I know what you mean about not wanting to wet the car again, it seems I get most of the dust when using the high speed. The pc doesn`t cause much of a problem. I`m not thrilled about it myself. You would be amazed however how easy it is to wash after the detail process. takes only about 15 minutes of time. Gary

brwill2005
09-22-2005, 06:56 AM
It definitely makes sense. Time wise, however, it just adds to my already long detail times. My big problem is usually splatter with the rotary. I have almost mastered it so that I dont have splatter though. As far as dust, I use my Metro dryer to blow the dust off of the car when I am done buffing.

imported_turbomangt
09-22-2005, 07:03 AM
Anyone that gets no splatter with the rotary, gets my respect. gk

Accumulator
09-22-2005, 09:37 AM
I hardly ever do it, preferring to use #34 and plush MFs if the air won`t get it. It`s the drying...takes forever to get it out of every nook and cranny and some products don`t mix well with water.

MorBid
09-22-2005, 09:38 AM
Admittingly I have always pondered this question, but have forced myself to become more proficent in my buffing so that a wash afterwards is un-necessary.

I use a Rotary for polishing and have made a concertrated effort to stop splattering (based on tips from here and elsewhere) and I find those tips do work.

Since I began using OCP/W a few months ago, I`ve found that alot of the dusting is gone from use of previous polishes but there always seems to be dust coming from my pads before the load.

I`ve just gotten another Air Compressor to finish working a project car (autobody) and find compressed air has it`s place in Detailing too.

Sometimes the very garage, driveway, parking lot can contribute to "dusting" a car even while you work because even the slightest breeze picks up stuff from the surroundings that will deposit on the car`s surface.

In the end I think it just adds another step and if it can be eliminated from the process then it`s one less thing to do.

stilez
09-22-2005, 10:02 AM
Only when I compound will I wash afterwards. I find the dust gets rather bad and its needed.

However, when Optimum Polish can handle the defects, it makes a WORLD of difference.