PDA

View Full Version : Question about Mothers Cleaner/Wax

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Eman
09-21-2005, 12:27 PM
If I use Cleaner Wax can I follow up with a polish like Meq #7 or should the polish go on first?

Big Leegr
09-21-2005, 12:37 PM
The cleaner wax would likely remove most, if not all, of the #7. If you wanted to use #7, you should follow it with a "pure" wax. Mothers makes one, as do many other companies.

If you put the #7 on top of the Cleaner wax, the #7 would dissipate quickly (days), so that would likely be a wasted step.

imported_Eman
09-21-2005, 01:30 PM
Thats what I thought. I will probably use #7 and follow with S100. Thanks

DM101
09-21-2005, 03:14 PM
a cleaner/polish then the #7 glaze then a wax or sealant. If the finish is in bad shape don`t skip the cleaner/polish step. It`s all in the prep that makes a car finish shine.

DM101
09-21-2005, 03:22 PM
If you want to skip the #7 you can just go with the cleaner wax mothers, meguire`s etc all make good all in one products A favorite here is Klasse AIO all in one, a good productthat will last for months....

JustinR32
09-21-2005, 04:14 PM
You can use the cleaner wax over the #7. It will remove some of it, but not all of it. Actually I`d suspect that the CW has polishing oils in it already; Mother`s makes a pretty sophisticated "one step" product.

But generally speaking, the products are incongruous. If your paint needs to be cleaned, you don`t want to lay down the #7 regardless; I`d be less concerned about removing the #7 and more concerned about the #7 interfering with the next step, cleaning of the paint. What is it that you are trying to do?

Tom

lbls1
09-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Use the more abrasive of the two first, (assuming that its #7). Mother`s cleaner wax is extremely mild, so it will not remove any heavy duty residue. It works best as a pre-wax conditioner; more of a neutral product- not enough as a stand-alone polish, and not adequate as a final wax.

You can follow the cleaner wax immediately with the lsp of your choice, preferrably a carnauba based product.

pontman43
09-21-2005, 09:19 PM
Mothers cleaner wax is an impressive 1 step. I`m not shure how mild it is, I removed clear coat staining (looked like it was from a degreaser of some type) with the cleaner wax only.

DM101
09-22-2005, 05:47 AM
Agree with Flawless Auto Detailing .... Just use the cleaner wax. Now if you use #7 you will have to do the clean, glaze, wax method.

smak
09-22-2005, 06:44 AM
i just happened to whip out my 7 year old tin of mothers cleaner wax yesterday to remove some staining on my license plate.

i have been using zaino exclusivly since back in the day and was for whatever reason, under the impression that abrasives were bad.. in any car care product. lol.. picking up a whole new inventory of products (including OCP and AIO) soon to compliment my zaino stock for the right times/vehicles.

anyways back to the license plate. its been on my beater which was extremely neglected finish wise for the 3 years i`ve had it. rust from the trunklid would drip down over the plate every rainfall.. and it eventually stained the plate pretty badly with a stubborn layer of yellow oxidation. recent body work and paint on the rear panels inspired some desire to get the cars finish back into shape (this board helped ;P )

mothers cleaner wax buffed it to a like new shine. still took a bit of working it in but the plate is good as new now (even took off some of the blue paint from the letters)

mothers cleaner wax (at least the old formula) is a very competant polish.

AlexRuiz
09-22-2005, 09:50 AM
Mother`s cleaner wax is extremely mild, so it will not remove any heavy duty residue.

I disagree. I find it moderately strong, just what is needed to be a true all in one.

pontman43
09-22-2005, 01:07 PM
I disagree. I find it moderately strong, just what is needed to be a true all in one.

Same here.

lbls1
09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
Mother`s paint cleaner (step 1 of their 3 step CG Wax System) is stronger than their cleaner wax. I`ve used both.

Alfisti
09-23-2005, 07:30 AM
Mother`s paint cleaner (step 1 of their 3 step CG Wax System) is stronger than their cleaner wax. I`ve used both.

That`s been my experience too. A dedicated paint cleaner will always be stronger than an AIO.

smak
09-23-2005, 02:25 PM
some new mothers cleaner wax action shots..

my "winter beater" used to have a gaping rust crevace in top corner of the driver roof area. during rain/snow conditions the oxidation would flow over and stain the door section shown.

the roof was recently repaired/painted. the door has not been. this was intended as a quickie attempt to clean up the area for now, and i`ll do the total detail later on when i can.

worked in by hand, mothers did a decent job at it. the stains were very stubborn and to most, this would definatly be at least a canidate for wet sanding.

represented is about 1/2 hour worth of work in all.

cheapie mercury 2.1mp digicam..

http://ca.geocities.com/dreamn@rogers.com/b/DSCI0127.JPG

http://ca.geocities.com/dreamn@rogers.com/b/DSCI0128.JPG

http://ca.geocities.com/dreamn@rogers.com/b/DSCI0130.JPG

that last macro shot shows the small areas where the clear has been compramised and a series of fine rust bubble have also formed. should have taken it from the right a bit more to show how the other problem area cleaned up but didnt notice at the time of shooting.

It didnt get ALL of the oxidation out, but this was an unreasonably tough job i`d say. i`m still impressed with the results considering its an AIO.

would like to give VM a shot though and compare, its on my "to try" list.