PDA

View Full Version : Do Sealents and Carnauba look the same

Pages : [1] 2

imported_DennisH
09-21-2005, 10:32 AM
Over on another forum I’m being told that you can’t tell the difference between a sealant (Zanio) and Carnauba (Souveran) on a black car. I would say on a light color car the difference are hard to distinguish between sealants and carnauba but dark color cars are a different story. Do you guys agree or I’m I seeing things and sealants and carnauba looks the same? One person even said he could only tell the difference if he looked at the finish in his rear view mirror.

Richt
09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
I find most products have a look off ther own in some way shape or form. In general sealants give a clearer more crisp look compared to the soft glow of natural waxes. Some products mostly take on the look off the polsihes, glazes below them in the prep, or the paint itself. Almost every product have used on my car had given a different look. There are some sealants that give a Carnuba look though.

4830Deuce
09-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Sealant have improved greatly in recent years, but still connot give (in my opinion) the depth that a nuba can give. Sealants will give you a brilliant shine and an amazing wet look but are still yet to match the depth. many of us use a sealant then a nuba over the sealant with really gives you the best of both worlds...Now depth on a car with CC is easier achieved then single stage paint with a sealant...Single stage benifits greatly from the added thickness that a nuba gives to the paints surface increasing depth, but clear coat already has that extra super clear layer on it which allows the paint to have depth even bare...so sealants can be applied with amazing results....I hope this helps!

Way2SSlow
09-21-2005, 12:13 PM
I haven`t tried the Z2 Pro, but I have used the old Z2. IMO, Sealants are sharper looking. What I mean is, TO ME, the carnauba (especially souveran) is easier on the eyes than a sealant. I feel that the car has a smoother look. The reflections arent quite as sharp, but it seems to me that on my SS (with a fresh coat of Souveran) the lines of the car look more flowing.

I dont really know if any of what I just said made sense, but I favor Carnauba over sealants.

imported_Picus
09-21-2005, 12:25 PM
I agree with everything that`s been said here. In regard to the specif products you mentioned, I think most folks will agree that there is a difference in the appearance of Zaino and Souveran on a properly prepped black car. I`m take a $5 bet and say that I could tell the two apart on the same car. :)

GTScott
09-21-2005, 12:29 PM
The sealants that I have used, mainly Zaino, have a more sharp or plastic-type quality to them. The nuba`s (Natty`s being my choice) leave a bit deeper gloss. There is definitely a difference.

-GT

imported_memnuts
09-21-2005, 03:31 PM
The only difference "I" can detect between carnauba and my sealant of choice and extensive experience, Zaino is very dependent on the quality of the prep. The prep outcome is extremely dependent on the finish quality (old and neglected, old but pampered or new).

Excellent depth producing prep will produce outstanding appearance qualities using either product type. Personal preference will be the deciding factor.

Less than excellent depth producing prep is greatly aided by the optical changes produced by a carnuaba & oil mixture product. Though very short-lived there is a different from the same less than perfect finish applied/protected by a sealant.

The new generation of Z2 (PRO) in combination with an excellent prep and Z8 would produce an appearance that would be extremely hard to tell that the finish is not covered with oils.

Fact: the carnuaba component in waxes is the "protectant". The appearance presentation is generated by the oils/silicones/polymers added to the admixture containing carnuaba.

dogma
09-21-2005, 04:00 PM
The only difference "I" can detect between carnauba and my sealant of choice and extensive experience, Zaino is very dependent on the quality of the prep. The prep outcome is extremely dependent on the finish quality (old and neglected, old but pampered or new).

Excellent depth producing prep will produce outstanding appearance qualities using either product type. Personal preference will be the deciding factor.

Less than excellent depth producing prep is greatly aided by the optical changes produced by a carnuaba & oil mixture product. Though very short-lived there is a different from the same less than perfect finish applied/protected by a sealant.

The new generation of Z2 (PRO) in combination with an excellent prep and Z8 would produce an appearance that would be extremely hard to tell that the finish is not covered with oils.

Fact: the carnuaba component in waxes is the "protectant". The appearance presentation is generated by the oils/silicones/polymers added to the admixture contain carnuaba.

Exactly :bow

JustinR32
09-21-2005, 04:00 PM
I`m close to agreeing 100% with blkZ28Conv. The manufacturers of protection products are constantly upgrading their wares. The last couple sealants I`ve tried (Zaino and #21) have both been spectacular. I think I`ll be sticking with #21 for a while (already have it, don`t want to buy the Z). I`ve been dedicated to carnaubas for years, though, and it`s hard to change. There ARE some carnaubas that are highly touted here that have far less "depth" and more plasticky look than the best sealants (I don`t want to name names because I don`t want to start an argument and it`s JMO anyways).

I agree with him 100% on the depth. The illusion of depth is produced by an absence of "surface cues"; swirls and hazing and marring that tell the eye where the paint starts. It`s like the difference between a beautifully clear mirrored wall, and a mirrored wall with hand prints all over it; there`s still lots of reflection, but your mind can`t be tricked into making the restaurant feel larger.

I didn`t know about that "fact". If it is true (and I have no reason to doubt it), then why do the Zymes, with their high carnauba content, have such a poor reputation for wearing away so quickly? Just wondering out loud.

Tom

dogma
09-21-2005, 04:08 PM
Not as much silicone

imported_Picus
09-21-2005, 04:18 PM
I think we`re assuming proper prep, so imagine the exact same car with near perfect paint, once with Zaino once with Souveran. I still think I could tell the difference. :)

Accumulator
09-21-2005, 04:18 PM
If you`re very familiar with how a vehicle looks, you can tell the difference between LSPs. After many years of Audis with the same paint code, my wife *never* needs to be told when I use something different on her silver Audi; she notices right away that it "looks different", and she`s no Autopian. And when you have two identical (well, silver A8 and S8) cars with different LSPs parked next to each other, the differences are impossible to miss. But the average person, even the average automotive enthusiast, will probably never notice that difference. I`ve had to point out differences that I consider blatantly obvious, just as I have to point out marring that most people just don`t see. It`s like a jeweler having to point out flaws in a gemstone to a layman.

Some synthetics like BF and UPP do look *very* similar to carnaubas, but there` still a sublte difference. Whether anybody will notice, let alone have a preference, well :nixweiss

And yeah, the *primary* factor in how any vehicle looks will always be the prep. I suspect most people have never seen a properly prepped car. Just go to any car show and look at what passes for a well-prepped car :rolleyes: If the prep is only so-so, differences in LSPs aren`t gonna be as obvious.

wannafbody
09-21-2005, 08:46 PM
some carnauba blends have what I call a smooth glow that is very hard for a full synthetic to match, the sublte differences are best viewed from a distance and often depnd on lighting conditions. Harsh direct lighting makes it difficult to see the subtle differences between products.

imported_DennisH
09-22-2005, 08:28 AM

Fact: the carnuaba component in waxes is the "protectant". The appearance presentation is generated by the oils/silicones/polymers added to the admixture containing carnuaba.

Why are oils/silicones/polymers bad? They just sit on top of the surface unlike Zanio that pentrates into your painted surface.

imported_memnuts
09-22-2005, 09:18 AM
These ingredients aren`t bad, just not durable or produce a lasting maximal appearance ("just waxed look") augmentation.

Their presence is "bad" for some sealants (i.e. Zaino) because they hinder maximal bonding to the paint.