PDA

View Full Version : Detailing clinincs pressing on

ptcruiser
01-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Hi Gang, Its me, formerly turbomangt now ptcruiser. Better known as Gary with Perfect Auto Finish. I thought I would stop by and post the press release done recently about my detailing clinics. I just completed my 155th class. Hope everyone is well. YOu can contact me at www.perfectautofinish.com if you want to say HI!!!!!! Gary

Teaching the details about car care
Clinics from expert are coming to the South Suburbs soon
Sunday, December 26, 2004
By Darcel Rockett, The Star
Gary Kouba`s business, Perfect Auto Finish, acts as a "Dear Abby" site for those seeking advice about auto detailing and maintenance.
His Roselle-based company offers car detailing clinics, tips, products and services to the public.
Kouba, whose love of instruction is such that he admitted to regularly stopping to talk cars to those washing their vehicles in driveways, realized the untapped market that was out there for consumer education on car care.
The idea hit him when he held a detail class at the Roselle Public Library in 2001 and 65 students attended. According to Kouba, that number was the largest turnout of any first-time event at the facility.
The precedent told Kouba that he needed to supply information about such matters as the difference between polishing and waxing.
Since that inaugural class, he has taught 150 more in various park districts, libraries and schools, free of charge to participants.
Now he is branching out in the South Suburbs with his clinics. Kouba said he will be out at the Oak Lawn Public Library from 7 to 9 p.m. May 23 as well as the Lockport Public Library this summer.
Serious detail enthusiasts can even set up a one-on-one or one-on-three session with Kouba at his shop and spend an hour with him discussing the craft.
"I think the reason behind (the success of the clinics) goes against the do-it-yourself trend going on in the mainstream these days," he said. "Just look at all the adult education classes available out there; people are searching for information in all areas."
He said the two-hour classes average between 10 and 20 students, consisting of those seeking the basics to those who are want more advanced information about auto detailing. The latter can take part in a three-part class, which has more information and hands-on work time for a nominal fee.
During a given class, Kouba goes over descriptions and terms, and teaches how to use various products for both the interior and exterior of one`s car. A detailed question-and-answer session ends the class.
"A lot of people come to classes and see how complex detailing is, so they utilize my advice in taking care of their own car," he said. "Most people who do this are thrifty, handy people who want to do the work themselves." Kouba said in addition to the preponderance of men attending the clinics, there are many women attracted to the art of car detailing as well. He approximates a 30 percent turnout of females in his seminars.
"You won`t believe how many women I`ve seen come through my classes wanting information - they want to protect their investment too," he said.
"The only difference between the reasons men and women come is guys think they know it all and don`t. But women are honest with themselves about not having the information, so they seek it out."
Kouba`s prowess in detailing vehicles has led to him showcasing his skills on Oprah`s famous episode of car giveaways earlier this year.
It has also bestowed other accolades and perks - including the work done on his Chrysler PT Cruiser being selected as one of 10 finalists in a Chrysler Car Show in Gurnee this September.
As owner of Perfect Auto Finish, he has also been allowed the luxury of detailing Lamborghinis, Porsches, Maseratis and other upscale vehicles since he opened the shop`s doors in 2001.
"Cars are the second-largest investment most people make besides a house," Kouba said. "And naturally people want to take care of their investment, so they come to me, mostly through word of mouth."
Customers of his detailing shop come from around the Chicagoland area to partake of his skills and advice (it typically takes six hours to do one car and he does one a day).
Kouba extends his detailing expertise even further by selling a whole line of auto car products online at his Web site. All of the supplies are sold wholesale to the public.
"You can go online and buy professional grade items that are cheaper than (inferior products at local stores,)" he said. "Using the professional stuff on your car is kind of like eating at fast-food restaurants your entire life and then going downtown to eat at a nice chop house."
Kouba even founded the Professional Detailing Technician`s Association, the first certified car detailers association, in order to authorize the criterion of auto detailers practicing in the United States.
With no industry standards set, Kouba said he wanted to be able to weed out the quality certified dealer from the bad ones and pass that information onto the consumers.
The association also allows other auto detailers (more than 200 members currently) to share information that would enhance each others` businesses, Kouba said.
"The industry is constantly changing, yet it is so slow in passing that information to end users that the concepts that are being utilized now are 15 years old," he said.
"Professional products aren`t targeted toward the end user, but to the professionals. That`s part of the excitement of this, passing that information on in a timely manner."
Kouba said his concept is catching on with other detailing professionals. "I didn`t find anything like this going on elsewhere in the country when I started it, but now other detailers in the association are adapting similar programs to their region."
More information about the auto detailing classes is at (630) 947-2090.
Darcel Rockett may be reached at drockett@starnewspapers.com or (708) 802-8817.