PDA

View Full Version : Will these products layer?

Pages : [1] 2 3

pontman43
09-20-2005, 08:22 PM
OK, so I can finally detail my car (painted a month ago). Its my baby and I wanna get it ready for the winter as well as a car show. I know it might be a little excessive, but I really want to use all this stuff and see how it looks. My main concern is will they layer correctly, ie. bond correctly and not take off the layer under.

Here is my long process:

Wash

Clay

Polish OCP w/propel green pad (not too bad, mainly rotary swirls from body shop)

AIO

SG

24hrs (although with Setec`s new experiment I might do it right after)

SG

24hrs maybe

SG

24hrs maybe

EX-P

24hrs maybe

Mothers Sealer & Glaze (to hide the rest of the small imperfections)

1hr

Mothers Power Wax w/ blue pad (on what speed??)

24hrs

Mothers Synwax, maybe x2

24hrs

Natty`s blue on black parts, P21S on body (mystic teal metalic)

24hrs

Natty`s Blue on black parts, P21S on body

24hrs

Mothers Top Coat

24hrs

Mothers Top Coat

Spit shine with PBs Spray and Gloss

Once again, I know its extremely excessive, but I still wanna do it, unless they dont bond or take off the previouse layer. I really just wanna see it progress and see the changes and results of each product. Plus it should look really good for the show. ;)

4830Deuce
09-20-2005, 08:35 PM
I wouldn’t wait 24 hours, I have had no ill effects with layering SG one after another...I have had the same experience with some other sealants as well...just my .02 cents...

diogenes
09-20-2005, 09:03 PM

Here is my long process:

Wash

Clay

Polish OCP w/propel green pad (not too bad, mainly rotary swirls from body shop)

AIO

SG

SG

24hrs maybe

SG

24hrs maybe

EX-P

24hrs maybe

1hr

24hrs

Mothers Synwax, maybe x2

24hrs

24hrs

24hrs

Mothers Top Coat

24hrs

Mothers Top Coat

I never in all my life seen somebody want to go thru a list like this. You got products your using 2 or 3 times and then different kinds of stuff over that.

It makes no sinse to me. You must be one heck of a detailer to do all this.

pontman43
09-20-2005, 09:10 PM
I wouldn’t wait 24 hours, I have had no ill effects with layering SG one after another...I have had the same experience with some other sealants as well...just my .02 cents...

I`ll probably do this.

pontman43
09-20-2005, 09:11 PM
I never in all my life seen somebody want to go thru a list like this. You got products your using 2 or 3 times and then different kinds of stuff over that.

It makes no sinse to me. You must be one heck of a detailer to do all this.

Not necessarily, just interested in the result of all the mixed products. If the research I did was correct it should all work together good to get the result I want.

FrizzleFry
09-20-2005, 09:16 PM
but i think the point is... what noticeable result to anyone would there really be?

Scottwax
09-20-2005, 09:17 PM
I`d just go OCP>AIO>SG or Acrylic Jett x 3>Collinite 845 and then go out and find you a woman. ;)

pontman43
09-20-2005, 09:31 PM
I`d just go OCP>AIO>SG or Acrylic Jett x 3>Collinite 845 and then go out and find you a woman. ;)

LOL, whats acrylic jett?

pontman43
09-20-2005, 09:34 PM
but i think the point is... what noticeable result to anyone would there really be?

Like I said before its mainly just for me, to see how it looks. If it doesnt look any different then I`ll stop and move on to the next step or just stop, but I really wanna see what it looks like. I`ll try to take pics as I go along and post them up to show the differnce between each step.

poolvibe
09-20-2005, 09:47 PM
You are welcome to try it on my car to see what it looks like...

:)

pontman43
09-20-2005, 09:52 PM
You are welcome to try it on my car to see what it looks like...

:)

LOL If you got the money for me to do it. ;)

Asmodaus
09-21-2005, 05:52 AM
diogenes,

I don`t know how long you`ve been looking at these forums but lists like this seem common on autopia`s forums. I can`t imagine what a difference you`re going to see after the fifth coat of something, unless maybe your taking a Lupe to the surface. Seems like overkill.

imported_Bence
09-21-2005, 06:28 AM
I`d stop @ EX-P, or as Scott said top it with Collinite. And besides YOU CAN NOT spit shine a liquid, just a heavy carnauba!!! Removing residue with a QD is NOT proper spit shining!

diogenes
09-21-2005, 07:35 AM
diogenes,

I don`t know how long you`ve been looking at these forums but lists like this seem common on autopia`s forums. I can`t imagine what a difference you`re going to see after the fifth coat of something, unless maybe your taking a Lupe to the surface. Seems like overkill.

I know what you meen. I lok at his list:

Clay

AIO

SG

SG

24hrs maybe

SG

24hrs maybe

EX-P

24hrs maybe

1hr

24hrs

Mothers Synwax, maybe x2

24hrs

24hrs

24hrs

Mothers Top Coat

24hrs

Mothers Top Coat

I see 3 coats of SG, a day apart each (thats 3 days worth of working/waiting). THEN he puts EXP on, THEN 2 coat of sealer glaze, THEN a wax, THEN 2 coats of another kinda wax, THEN 2 coats of still another kinda wax, THEN he spit shines it with PB.

I got sore fingers just typing all this. If I had a brand new crew cab duallie pick up (a Power Stroke, the best there is) that costs $50000 I wouldnt go thru all this work cause t makes no sense to me.

Sure, I like a clean truck. I keep my 4 wheelers clean, my F250 shiney and my big rig Peterbuilt in good shape cause it costs lots of money and I kinda live in it for work, but WHY would a person put different kinda products on top of each other just to see if it works?

It sounds to me like he has taken what 10 folks each say is the best product, and decided to use them all. Maybe he wants everyone to think he`s the best detailer in the world cause he can do all this. I`d rather have a Coors.

I can;t believe itll work.

Good luck to you.

Accumulator
09-21-2005, 08:41 AM
I kinda wonder if all those products between the paint and a viewer`s eye will be beneficial to the actual, perceived, appearance. We`re talking new paint, shouldn`t be too hard to get it perfectly prepped.

How about just getting the prep perfect and putting on something that gives the optical effect you`re after. If all those products *do* bond/layer/etc. you`re gonna have a lot of stuff on that paint, I`d rather see the paint more clearly.

I do find that 4 layers of KSG look a bit better *to me* than 1-3. And six layers of it will last a very, very long time. But the best *looks* I`ve ever achieved came from putting one-two applications of a "beauty" LSP over top of perfectly prepped paint.

But hey, whatever you enjoy doing is the right thing for you to do, it`s all about having fun with the vehicle.