PDA

View Full Version : Help :(

Joshua312
09-20-2005, 08:10 PM
Ok well here is the deal. I am new to detailing and I love it, I fell in love with it enough that I changed my major in college to Entrepreneurship in hopes of starting my own mobile detail business. I live in western michigan which has some pretty ritsy areas and people who definately would pay for a detail. My questions are....Has anyone else second guessed themselves if the area where they lived....wasn`t the next California or Long Island but still can you be successful? West Michigan is a hot spot for people from Illinois to come to in the summer for their summer home, lots of ritsy people in specific areas, and a lot of general public as well. Im just worried that since there aren`t so many high profile clients with lambos and what not like Cali that it may just not be the business for west michigan. I don`t know how else to explain the area....any input would be appreciated. :hm Thanks for your help!

the other pc
09-21-2005, 10:47 AM
I`m not sure I understand the question?

First you said "I live in western michigan which has some pretty ritsy areas and people who definately would pay for a detail."

Sounds good so far.

Then you backtrack with "Im just worried that since there aren`t so many high profile clients with lambos and what not like Cali that it may just not be the business for west michigan."

I`m guessing that you`re asking if anybody thinks that you could make a go of it in an area with lots of money but no overt Bling?

No guarantees, but it`s generally been my experience that people who are wealthy but unpretentious are happy to deal with competent professionals who do high quality work and they expect to pay top dollar for top class results.

Figuring out your customers is a fundamental issue for any business. I assume your school`s program will include classes in marketing. As you progress through your program you should be able to come to up with strategies for investigating the potential.

PC.

White95Max
09-21-2005, 11:33 AM
There are always people that will pay for detailing, regardless of the area. You don`t have to live in SoCal to have a nice car. And it`s not just people with $50K cars that want them detailed either. Most of my detailing jobs so far have been on cars that are worth less than $15K.

Accumulator
09-21-2005, 04:44 PM
My area has only recently become home to a number of exotics, but the local detailer has been (successfully) in business for a long, long time. Most of the vehicles his shop does aren`t anything special. The bread and butter of the business won`t be in hyper-expensive rides, and the owners of such vehicles often don`t take proper care of them anyhow.