PDA

View Full Version : even bother with an orbital?

Pages : [1] 2

smak
09-19-2005, 01:44 PM
could you do everything a orbital could do with a quality rotary?

i`m wondering if i should even bother getting a PC? just step up to the metabo and be done with it.

how much vibration does the PC generate? like a pager on vibe mode, more.. less?

i`m thinking that using a quality rotary on 1500rpm would be much more theraputic overall. once the learning curve passes that is.

zippymbr
09-19-2005, 01:49 PM
It is hard to say. To each his own. I have both now and use them for different things. I have hit the limit of the PC many times. It did not take me very long to learn the rotary but I use tools for a living woodworking and carpentry.

Accumulator
09-19-2005, 01:54 PM
This gets asked so often I can almost predict who will say what :D

I`d get the PC (or a Cyclo, or better yet both) as well as the rotary. If you get holograms from the rotary you`ll be glad you have the D/A. And when you don`t need the power of the rotary the D/A can be quick and easy. I know some people get by with one or the other (and some of these people are rather, uhm, opinionated about it), but to me it`s like asking if you need a hand saw or should you just get a chainsaw (or a .22 or an elephant gun, etc., etc.).

I hardly ever use the rotary, but I use the Cyclo (and to a lesser extent the PC) all the time.

If the vibes from PC are a concern (and yeah, it`s not exactly pleasant for some people) consider the Cyclo.

smak
09-19-2005, 02:50 PM
so the cyclo doesent vibrate so much? i`m guessing it has a shorter throw maybe but more spinning?

i hear it has issues breaking down aio and some other polishes too quickly, anyone try it with newer ocp or z-pc?

have folks experienced good results using diminishing abrasive polishes with the cyclo?

Accumulator
09-19-2005, 04:22 PM
so the cyclo doesent vibrate so much? i`m guessing it has a shorter throw maybe but more spinning?

Much, much smoother operation. No comparison IMO. The speed is actually only about setting 3/5 on the PC, but it still acts more aggressive. Probably because the Cyclo was designed to polish vehicles and the PC was designed to sand wood.

i hear it has issues breaking down aio and some other polishes too quickly, anyone try it with newer ocp or z-pc?

Haven`t tried it with those, but yeah, it does *NOT* work well with AIO. Might work OK with #80 with different pads, I didn`t experiment much. But I didn`t put it away and get out the PC either ;) It just made the #80 do a more filling than removal. But this *was* on very hard clear where the #80 probably wouldn`t do much anyhow. I dunno....it might actually work *fine* with #80, I don`t want to make it sound like a cut-and-dried :nono

have folks experienced good results using diminishing abrasive polishes with the cyclo?

Just depends on the product. I primarily use it with 3M`s old PI-III stuff and 1Z. I`ve used it with other polishes too, and based on that I`d *guess* that it would work well with Optimum. It`s not like the Cyclo is really product sensitive. I used it for years before I got a PC, and I only got the PC because the Cyclo didn`t really suit the contours of my XJS.

The Cyclo works great for applying paste wax by machine.

SpoiledMan
09-19-2005, 06:10 PM
The Cyclo works fine with Optimum polish and compound. I used to reach for my PC first and my B&D rotary second. I have added the Cyclo and Hitachi rotary and I reach for the rotary first and then the Cyclo only getting the PC is absolutely necessary. I can polish with the Cyclo and talk on the phone at the same time(try that with the PC). If I had to choose one or the other, the Cyclo would be my choice. If I was choosing between the Cyclo and the rotary I`m taking the rotary. The Hitachi rotary is a very good piece available for a very good price on ebay(current auction has it for $134 shipped and insured). I would put it right there with the Makita and it comes with a 5 year warranty.

psl car wash
09-19-2005, 07:53 PM
i have and love these......(but i also have a Dewalt high speed.)

http://www.gem-industries.com/orbital.php

and in the UK......

http://www.orbitalpolisher.com/

littlejohn
09-19-2005, 08:23 PM
If you only really wnat to get one.. have you thought about the Makita BO6040 as a compromise??

It has forced rotation so is more aggressive than a PC, but not as dangerous as a rotary..

on tough jobs, I use the rotary first (Makita 9227) then I finish off with the RO (Makita BO6040). I find the job gets done much much quicker this way.. but then again, I`m a noob, so my rotary skills may not be as good as others..

smak
09-20-2005, 06:53 PM
but the dual mode (rotary / d/a) makita still has a orbital type motion in rotary mode right?

how does it feel? does it make you think your fillings are being vibrated loose, or is it a bit more pleasant like a cyclone?

littlejohn
09-20-2005, 07:39 PM
but the dual mode (rotary / d/a) makita still has a orbital type motion in rotary mode right?

how does it feel? does it make you think your fillings are being vibrated loose, or is it a bit more pleasant like a cyclone?

The Makita BO6040 always jiggles.

Mode A: Runs the same a a PC. ie will jiggle and the spin, but with too much pressure it can easily bog down.

Mode B: Forced rotation. you lock it into gear and it will jiggle and alwaya rotate no matter ho much pressure you apply. The rotation will only go up to a max speed of 600rpm. not very fast, but you have to add the opm into the equation as well..

How does it feel?? well I have and Ozito RO and it feels way better than the Ozito. I can easily do a whole car at max OPM/RPM and not get close to having numb hands...

usdm
09-20-2005, 09:48 PM
I have a Mak d/a, a PC, and a rotary (plan to buy a cyclo as well).

I can tell you thateven though myrotary skills have dramatically improved,

I can still see minor swirling. So when I am using the rotary, I am always

expecting to folowup with either the PC or the Mak d/a. The combo always

guarantees me a near flawless finish.

Asmodaus
09-21-2005, 05:47 AM
an opinion from someone who`s only had the PC for under a year. I really can`t mess up my car`s paint with the PC. I can with the Rotary. I`ve seen a lot of `trained` people swirl up a cars paint with a rotary. I just prefer to play it safe. Some guys on here make it look easy. For me, at least when I go out to polish my car I know I can`t hurt the paint even if I mess up or get a little rushed.

smak
09-21-2005, 06:45 AM
so the makita dual mode is more of a PC and Cyclone in one.

could be promising. the grip seems less awkward also.

Accumulator
09-21-2005, 08:47 AM
so the makita dual mode is more of a PC and Cyclone in one.

could be promising. the grip seems less awkward also.

Nah, I`d saythe BO6040 more like a PC and a *rotary* all in one. I`ve heard both pro and con opinions about it, same as with most anything.

I for one don`t like that sort of ergonomic design, don`t like the PC much for the same reason. But to each their own.

FWIW, only *one* person who`s tried both my PCs and my Cyclos preferred the PCs. Everyone else *really* preferred the Cyclos ;) The Cyclo makes for an easy transition to a rotary too (IMO). It`s just more similar to the rotary than a PC is, handling-wise.

smak
09-21-2005, 10:14 AM
how does the cyclo make this transition easier? i have heard that a few times in my searched posts.

is it easier to leave swirls behind thus improved technique is required? or do you mean its got a similar grip (meant by "handling wise"?)

i`d imagine with the two pads running at once it`s a bit akward.. plus, i imagine it`s tedious to grip and do the top of an unlowered vehicle without some sort of step ladder (which just doesent seem my bag when it comes to detailing supplies)

dont hold any punches! i`m on the fence here.

let me know what you really think :)

and and does the cyclo have variable speed? or does your only salvation lie wthin pad selection?