PDA

View Full Version : Mixing different brand of sealant.

klnyc
09-19-2005, 06:23 AM
Hey guys,

I was wondering can I lay different brand of sealant each time I apply it? If I wait like 24hr to 48hr or a week later time.

Like this:

EX-p

DP Sealant

WG Sealant

etc

etc

JustinR32
09-19-2005, 07:51 AM
I couldn`t see that it would make any difference, but don`t expect to see any better protection or durability, and expect it to look like whatever you put on last.

Tom

JeffM
09-19-2005, 01:55 PM
I mixed UPP and NXT and it looked good, durability..i dunno, but it was slick.

klnyc
09-19-2005, 02:08 PM
Im going try it out tonight. So far I have UPP on it. So, by tonight I`m going top with Detail Pride Premium Surface Shield(DPPSS). Then by Tues night, I top another sealant(WGS or SG).

steveAZ
09-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Can I ask WHY? they are all going to be optically different, and you won`t get the true look of what the sealant would look like alone, plus it won`t add any better protection. So I`m just curious why you wouldn`t try one with a few layers, strip it after a month, and try another with a few layer?

wannafbody
09-19-2005, 08:21 PM
assuming the different layers are allowed to cure- why not experiment :think: If layering does nothing then why do so many use AIO as a base? or layer 3-5 layers of Z? I`ve used sealants and then layered blended waxes on top.

klnyc
09-20-2005, 05:51 AM
It`s just a experiment, I`m not using on my car(if i work I may do it). I have trunk that I pick up from the local junk to test out various of wax/sealant/glaze,etc. Sofar UPP bond with DPPSS, I use a Sharpie marker to write down a number by each layer as I go. So far now I have total of 2 layers. Try put 3rd layer by tonight ;)

steveAZ
09-20-2005, 06:36 PM
It`s just a experiment, I`m not using on my car(if i work I may do it). I have trunk that I pick up from the local junk to test out various of wax/sealant/glaze,etc. Sofar UPP bond with DPPSS, I use a Sharpie marker to write down a number by each layer as I go. So far now I have total of 2 layers. Try put 3rd layer by tonight ;)

Now that makes sense. I would set of a design of experiments, and break trunk up into 3 regions. Use a control (mulitple layers of your favorite wax/sealant), and 2 regions of experimental layering. After you build up some layers, you can check for optical clarity. Sounds interesting.