PDA

View Full Version : engine washing

CCCS
09-18-2005, 08:37 PM
I do engine washes on my 5th gen monte carlo all the time. Never had any problems. I take the filter out, cover the box, electronics etc, and do the wash.

On newer cars, is there a specific way to do a engine wash ? Any good tips i should know about ?? Also, what about cars with carbs ?

The newer model cars have alot of plastic covering, what should i still cover ??

thanks

Richt
09-18-2005, 10:31 PM
I still cover the same things on nwer cares as I did old. With newer cars just be cautious if there is anything that looks dubious off getting wet, cover it or be very carefull.

I try and use as little water as possible to get the job done. Rinse with a low pressure hose. apply you engine cleaner, agitate and rinse with as little water needed again. Lots off towels to dry up, compressed air helps to.

Cars with exposed carbs, cover the trumpet tops if the filters are off, dont get water down them, and carefull not to disturb any off the parts off them.

benpocock
09-19-2005, 02:11 AM
New diesels are the easiest to wash IMO. With mine (2005 BMW) I just go straight in with the hose, no covering up or anything. A modern engine bay should be waterproof anyway, just be careful to spot where the intake/filter is and cover than up.

Ben

ArmyZ
09-19-2005, 11:50 AM
I wrap plastic bags (ziplock style or grocery bag style) around thepiece and put a strong rubber band around it... this will keep any water from accidentally dripping into or onto something... dont trust a towel alone. Although they ARE supposed to be water proof... every manufacturer is subjct to defects. Just remember to use low pressure. Rinse only as needed...

Heat the engine up to a temp that wont burn ya... this seems to help loosen some of the crud if the engine is really dirty... spray your degreaser (something that is safe for rubber/plastic) and let it sit for 2-3 min or so... scrub really dirty stuff with a brush... rinse... go back with a towel/brush with degreaser on it... and get the spots you missed or need more attention.

Just remember ... as little LOW PRESSURE water as possible, and use a plastic/rubber safe degreaser.