PDA

View Full Version : SG Layering Experiment

Pages : [1] 2 3

Setec Astronomy
09-17-2005, 04:24 PM
My curiosity piqued by Foxtrapper`s similar experiment, I AIO`d half the hood on my car today, and rapidly put down 9 layers of SG.

I did a modified WOWO, wiping out a layer and letting it sit for a minute or two, then wiping off, then waiting a few minutes, writing a layer number in Sharpie marker on it, and following with another layer. The last number (9) is on top of the SG, without a layer of SG on it, so that may or may not come off quickly...I`m not sure if the numbers are going to come off when they are exposed by the layer above coming off, or when the layer they are written on comes off. I wrote the numbers in a line about a half inch apart, and they are maybe 3/8" tall, so they are all in a small section of the hood.

I would post a picture, but there isn`t much to see right now, and I don`t have camera handy. It`s supposed to rain tonight, so the first test will be the effect of rain on the SG before it`s had a chance to cure for 24 hours. I`ll try and keep this updated.

Intercooled
09-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Sounds very interesting, Let us now how its holding up and what your results are.

pontman43
09-17-2005, 07:25 PM
Cool, thanks for testing this. Cant wait to see results. Can you tell that the other numbers are under layers? ANd can you tell that the 1 is under more than the 8?

Tasty
09-17-2005, 07:42 PM
You wrote in Sharpie on your car???!!!

klnyc
09-17-2005, 08:08 PM
You wrote in Sharpie on your car???!!!

Yeah ***, you can do that?? I want to see some pics.

Setec Astronomy
09-17-2005, 09:20 PM
Sure, why not? It`ll come off with some alcohol...and if it doesn`t, I`ll polish it off. Besides, it`s on top of AIO or SG...that should protect the paint from the Sharpie. We write on non-porous surfaces all the time with them at work and it comes right off with alcohol...of course, that`s metal...well...the car is old..

But seriously, I think it will come right off...but I didn`t do it on my new car.

klnyc
09-18-2005, 05:16 AM
Im going try it out on trunk that I pick from the junk yard.

Anyone dare enough try on brand spanking new 2005 car?

chml17l
09-18-2005, 10:43 AM
Interesting experimental idea. Would love to see some pics throughout the experiment. Keep us posted.

Setec Astronomy
09-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Cool, thanks for testing this. Cant wait to see results. Can you tell that the other numbers are under layers? ANd can you tell that the 1 is under more than the 8?

The number (9) that is on top of the SG is lighter than the rest. I even wrote another 9 below it when I was done because it looked like I hadn`t written it dark enough. Today the two 9`s look the same, which is washed-out looking in comparison to the other numbers which all look the same.

It didn`t rain last night, and the dew I saw this morning wasn`t on the hood, so the "getting wet before cure" part of the experiment didn`t happen.

foxtrapper
09-20-2005, 07:37 AM
Look forward to your reading your results.

Sharpie ink is not UV proof. It`s billed as permanent, but it actually does fade in the sun. Not sure about how it does when under a layer of acrylic. It held up for many weeks under mine, but if it actually bleached out instead of the SG wearing away, that would throw the conclusions off base. I personally think it was the SG wearing away on my vehicle.

Setec Astronomy
09-20-2005, 07:55 AM
:bow Foxtrapper! I actually have quite a bit of experience with Sharpie and UV...when I change a fluorescent tube at work, I write the date on it in Sharpie (or equivalent), and it fades almost completely after about 5 years. (Someone I used to work with wouldn`t believe this, and he scoffed at my explanation of the photons knocking the Sharpie off the glass...light is particles, you know). Obviously, a fluorescent tube is quite different from the hood of a car in the sun, and I am watching my mark which is on top of the SG.

I washed the car on Sunday, and that didn`t have any effect on anything other than between the washing and drying it seemed to have taken off the few SG streaks I had--I was using a Handi-Grip applicator, which I did not find to be the ideal method. Supposed to have thundershowers today, I`ll keep you posted...guess I`d better take a picture soon.

JeffM
09-20-2005, 09:35 AM
If a product actually contained UV blockers, the inc wouldnt fade much at all.

Hence the debate :What kind of protection are we really getting?

I think we are just getting a slick surface and good looks.

I dont "wax" for protection, i wash and keep crap off my paint for protection.

s2skimon
09-20-2005, 12:03 PM
i`ve had about 3 layers of SG on my past car, and after the 2nd coat, i really couldn`t tell .. but man oh man, did that acryllic give a wet look.. wow !

4830Deuce
09-21-2005, 09:16 AM
:bow Foxtrapper! I actually have quite a bit of experience with Sharpie and UV...when I change a fluorescent tube at work, I write the date on it in Sharpie (or equivalent), and it fades almost completely after about 5 years. (Someone I used to work with wouldn`t believe this, and he scoffed at my explanation of the photons knocking the Sharpie off the glass...light is particles, you know). Obviously, a fluorescent tube is quite different from the hood of a car in the sun, and I am watching my mark which is on top of the SG.

I washed the car on Sunday, and that didn`t have any effect on anything other than between the washing and drying it seemed to have taken off the few SG streaks I had--I was using a Handi-Grip applicator, which I did not find to be the ideal method. Supposed to have thundershowers today, I`ll keep you posted...guess I`d better take a picture soon.

If I remember middle school science class isnt there much debate on weather light is actual matter or not?

Also I have too written on paint with a sharpie it was actually a spare fender I had laying around, it came off right away when I was buffing with my rotary...

I like this experiment...I believe the results will show that a 12-24 hour cure is bogus. I rarely do a 12 hour cure when working with sealants anyway...

Setec Astronomy
09-21-2005, 10:10 AM
I think the "debate" was because light has the properties both of a particle and a wave. I don`t think there is any debate that there are particles involved as defined here: Photoelectric Effect (http://acept.la.asu.edu/PiN/rdg/photoelectric/photoelectric.shtml) "A phenomenon discovered by Einstein in the early 20th century in which electrons are ejected from a solid when impinged upon by electromagnetic radiation. This led to the understanding of light as particles, or photons. " I think that in a general way explains the fading of the Sharpie marks on my fluorescent tubes as well as shrinking/weight loss/damage to other items left out in the sun, etc.