PDA

View Full Version : Explain rail dust to me, please

imported_truzoom
09-15-2005, 08:02 PM
Alright I know what it is, and how to fix it, but what exactly causes it? Since moving up to an apt. for school, I`ve had to park about 100 feet away from a very active train track. The train itself does not need to slow down anywhere near where I am, so I know rail dust isn`t caused by the stopping friction between the wheels and the track, but then what is it? Why don`t we have brake dust particles embedded in our paint from a week of driving? Or do we? :think:

I`m most positive that I`ve got rail dust embedded into my tailgate and the sides of my bed, as I`ve been parking reverse into the spot so that less of the horizontal surfaces are exposed to it. I did a little detail today while at the car wash, and when I came to waxing the rear areas, I could see where particles were embedded, and in some cases I was actually able to get it out with my fingernail.

And yup, I plan on doing a very thorough claying when I`m on break, but it`ll have to do for now.

BTW, unrelated to this, I was able to polish my wiper arms back to the original sheen today. I had no idea that they could be worked on, but apparently mine are covered in single stage black paint. Just used some left over NXT on a terry cloth and rubbed it in. Looks great now :)

ArmyZ
09-15-2005, 08:12 PM
You do have brake dust embedded in your paint. It might be much much finer... so you wont be able to see it with the naked eye. Try parking on the other side of the building bro. good luck

White95Max
09-15-2005, 08:25 PM
You DO have brake dust in your paint. I`d be willing to bet that if you look carefully, you`ll see that behind your front wheels, you have the largest amount of ferrous particles (in this case it wouldn`t be rail dust, but just ordinary brake dust).

The rail dust comes from trains. The metal wheels themselves contact the rails, which are also metal. When a tiny particle from either source breaks off, it becomes airborne and lands in the surrounding area. It lands on your paint and sinks in if it`s left there for a while.

chml17l
09-15-2005, 08:28 PM
Rail dust is produced from the friction of the train wheels against the railroad track. The railroad cars/trains don`t have to stop just to create the dust as there is friction between the train wheels and track anytime the train is moving.

Brake dust is produced from the friction of brake pads rubbing against the steel rotor. This metal on metal friction disperses tiny particles of bare metal into the air and onto the roadways where it collects on passing vehicles.

imported_truzoom
09-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Thanks for clearing that up. Kind of makes you think what you`re breathing in though, especially if you drive in stop/go traffic with your windows down.

White95Max
09-15-2005, 09:27 PM
You`re breathing in all kinds of sh*t when you walk/drive on/near a busy road. That`s just the way the air quality is these days.

imported_truzoom
09-15-2005, 09:52 PM
:(

Hope it isn`t killing me to bike to school.

How about changing your avatar to show off them new shoes?

foxtrapper
09-16-2005, 02:47 AM
The flat part of a train wheel rolling on the top of the rail doesn`t generate rail dust. But the flange of the wheel sliding across the inner edge of the rail does. That`s what produces that familiar squeal you hear when trains roll by. That squeal is the sound of rail dust being made.

You`re right about car brakes. The rotors wear away, and there`s metal in those metalic brakes pads. Plenty of metalic particals are produced

And you`re right to worry about what you breath. You want some really nasty stuff? Go inside your house and breath. There is no worse environment on the planet than the inside of a house. Between the formaldehyde coming off the plastics, the dust mites and roach poop, sharp fibers from insulation, etc. It`s a dangerous place to live. That`s why your boogers look so nasty when you blow or pick your nose. So don`t mouth breath! You bypass a lot of filtration when you mouth breath. Let your nose and snot do its job.

Setec Astronomy
09-16-2005, 03:21 AM
Er...thanks, foxtrapper..I think :D Let`s add to the rush hour traffic mix rubber dust from tires (just as the wear from brake pads has to go somewhere, so does the rubber from your tires) and diesel soot.

White95Max
09-16-2005, 05:13 AM
:(

Hope it isn`t killing me to bike to school.

How about changing your avatar to show off them new shoes?

I may have to take a few more pics today I guess. Although I`ll be going back to my parents` house this evening, so maybe I`ll wash the car there and take pics.

foxtrapper
09-16-2005, 06:13 AM
Let`s add to the rush hour traffic mix rubber dust from tires...and diesel soot.

Those won`t cause rust stains in the paint the way steel dust will though.

Setec Astronomy
09-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Those won`t cause rust stains in the paint the way steel dust will though.

Yes, you`re right, I was actually adding to the list of things that Zoomie and Maxy were breathing in while they were driving...and that I have to clean off the back bumper of my car.

wannafbody
09-16-2005, 09:39 AM
look at your wheels-chances are the brake dust has imbedded itself in the clear coat