PDA

View Full Version : applying 4*upp questions

Pages : [1] 2

03k20a2
09-14-2005, 03:31 PM
well i used 4*UPP last weekend and it produced great shine and slickness even on white. now my question is, how do you guys apply it? i used my pc and a red finishing pad and went around the car on speed 3, no pressure, and re-applied the product to the pad 3 times. i didnt work the product in at all, just went in 50% overlapping passes of the one before. i let it sit for about 20 mins and it was kind of tough getting off, not hard but not as easy as my pb`s ex sealant. just asking to see if i used too much/less product and should i work it in like a polish

steveAZ
09-14-2005, 04:13 PM
I currently have 4 layers of UPP on my car. I have put them all on by hand. As you know a little product goes a long way. I have stayed away form using the PC on sealants, it just seems that overall it would take longer. I live in AZ, and the heat is insane. I`ve put all mine on at night in the garage with 1000W halogens helping me, and stll let it sit for >1hour. It buffed out easily in my case, and the 4th layer was the ticket, it really gave it a pop. I like the 4* products, but I am going to swtich to zaino in the fall just becasue I`ve never tried it before. I`ll still use the 4* on my wife`s car.

JaCkaL829
09-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I`ve used it 3-4 times and have been really pleased with it. I applied it by hand with a yellow foam applicator. About a dime size of a product and spread it nice and thin. I let it sit for about 30 mins, and removing it could not have been easier. The easiest wax/sealant i`ve removed to date. It was like it wasn`t even on.

White95Max
09-14-2005, 05:40 PM
I used to apply it with a yellow foam applicator, with great results. Now my hand gets really sore and cramped if I wax/seal a whole car at once with a foam applicator. :( Maybe there IS such thing as too much waxing. :(

Now I apply waxes/sealants with a Wolfgang Polishin Pal and a 4" finishing pad. My hand feels fine afterward, and the process goes faster with more even results too.

toml
09-15-2005, 08:22 AM
I`ve applied UPP via Propel grey finishing pad at a speed of 4 with no problem. Put something like 2 dime-size spots on the pad and buffed until I could no longer see a thin "smear" on the paint.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-15-2005, 08:29 AM
I go real thin with a PC and pad.......I feel i get a better, more even coverage this way.....

Accumulator
09-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Much as I like to do everything by machine, I`ve been applying UPP by hand. But this was based on my initial experiences with the previous version of it and might not be necessary with the latest (third, IIRC) version. Somehow I just get better results for sealants when I apply by hand :nixweiss so I haven`t done it by machine enough to get my technique down pat.

Let it set up longer, consider heating the car somehow (sunlight, etc.), apply less. Those are the usual "what to try" answers for UPP difficulties.

White95Max- Yeah, by the time I finish doing the S8 (let alone the minivan!) I`ve had enough of the "grip the applicator" thing too. Might have to admit I`m getting old and look into the Polishing Pal :o

Richt
09-15-2005, 10:43 AM
I always feel I waste product at the LSP stage by applying with the PC, so sealants are always hand applied for me. Yellow foam hand pad here for me to. I tried it with my polishing Pal and didnt get on with it, no real feel over what the pad was doing compared to a foam hand in my hand so I have gone back to that.

imported_Denzil
09-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Plain and simple... I`m too lazy to use the foam applicators I have sitting in my detail box. I`d much rather use my PC and a gray Propel and make fast passes at speed 4... just laying it thin all across the car. ;)

White95Max
09-15-2005, 11:06 AM
I also feel that I waste a lot of product when using the PC. Especially with the finishing pads and thin liquids. It absorbs a lot of product into the pad. If I`m paying $20 per bottle of UPP, I`d like to at least get to use it, rather than just having to wash it out of the pads.

Accumulator - If I can help it, I never use my foam applicators anymore, except for wheels, door jambs, and other small areas like that. It`s just so much more comfortable to use the Polishin Pal.

imported_Amused
09-15-2005, 11:18 AM
It`s just so much more comfortable to use the Polishin Pal.

+1 for the Polishing Pal...I use the Pinnacle one, same thing just yellow, for applying LSPs. It`s also great for polishing windows with VM.

White95Max
09-15-2005, 01:41 PM
My wolfgang one is yellow too. They`re the same thing, like Taurus vs Sable.

03k20a2
09-16-2005, 02:24 PM
so, on the pc, do you guys think i should work it in more

Accumulator
09-16-2005, 02:34 PM
IMO it`s not so much a matter of working it *in* as it is a matter of *spreading it out*, if you get the difference. It doesn`t need to get worked into the pores of the paint the way a glaze can get worked into single-stage, but you can use the PC to apply it nice and thin by working it longer in the sense of covering a larger and larger area. Since you only need an incredibly thin application this coverage area can usually be larger than people expect.

a.k.a. Patrick
09-16-2005, 02:45 PM
I prefer just to make one overlapping pass, usually a left/right pass on the entire car......