PDA

View Full Version : Claying

googoots
09-14-2005, 01:01 PM
I try to wax my car every 3 months or so....is it neccesary to clay a well maintained finish before I wax everytime. Before I wax I usually just use double strength car shampoo.

steveAZ
09-14-2005, 01:11 PM
I would do a complete clay twice a year, and just spot clay as needed where you feel contamination before your other quarterly waxes. Routinely doing the entire car every 3 months may be excessive

Lowejackson
09-14-2005, 01:30 PM
Why use a double dose of shampoo

benpocock
09-14-2005, 01:40 PM
If you feel the finish is rough, clay it - it can`t do any harm (unless you do it wrong!).

Ben

googoots
09-14-2005, 02:02 PM

I dunno.......more cleaning power :think:

Accumulator
09-14-2005, 03:32 PM
Keeping in mind that I`m awfully "clay-centric" in my detailing, IMO a light claying, even with something as mild as the green Sonus clay, is gonna be far more effective than any extra-strength shampoo wash. I clay a lot and I`ve never had any problems from it, but I clay very gently/carefully too ;)

Three months? Yeah, I`d clay it. Or else use some kind of paint cleaner. No way a mere extra-strong wash is gonna get it clean enough for me. But if you like doing that, there`s nothing wrong with doing it as a first step.

googoots
09-14-2005, 04:03 PM
I have always used the clay magic brand but I am thinking about then new sonus clay for light cleaning and the grey for heavy duty.

benpocock
09-15-2005, 01:34 AM
I detailed a 360 yesterday (pics shortly) that felt like it didn`t have any bonded contaminates so I skipped the clay. Never again. Even though it felt smooth there was still enough crap on the paint to interfere with the polish/pad and whatever it was made my pads clog up so quickly I went through four cutting pads, and there isn`t even that much paint on a 360!

From now on cars get clayed out of principle, whether it feels like they need it or not.

Ben

Accumulator
09-15-2005, 10:05 AM
I have always used the clay magic brand but I am thinking about then new sonus clay for light cleaning and the grey for heavy duty.

See if you notice any difference between the gray Sonus and your Clay Magic. But yeah, the green Sonus stuff is a must-have IMO.

Lowejackson
09-15-2005, 10:22 AM

I dunno.......more cleaning power :think:

Using a very high dose of shampoo does not automatically mean better cleaning, in all probability all that will happen is a greater need for rinsing